What brand filter is this MoPar filter, is it good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who makes the MoPar oil filters for the srt4? 04781452bb Is it a good quality filter that you would reccomend? I already know they are overpriced but I'm not concerned with that because I already have 12 of them. I just want to know how good of a filter they are.

Last edited:
I just purchased a used 1994 Chrysler LHS recently for my daughter. The Mopar filter nitrile ADBV failed miserably. Traces of rust were found near the threads - so this filter is old calendar-wise. Estimated mileage on the oil was 2,000 miles or two years. Gentleman who sold it is 90 years-old. Had to give up driving. Vehicle has 17,445 actual miles on it. Purchase price = $3500.

Last edited:
Ive only handled a few mopar filters, but they seemed to be quite good and sturdy.

Amsoil is likely the best.

JMH

I know the MoPar oil filters can be many different filters, thats why I listed that particular part number. Does anybody know a good way to cut into a filter?

Triple 7 do you mean 20,000 miles? I would hope they don't fail after only 2000

Mopar has used Fram in the past. The Mopar oil filters at WM are Purolator. That's a 51516/FL400S/etc.

Wix xref'd this number ..but Donaldson and Baldwin didn't. Purolator also xref's to it. Fram doesn't know this number either.

..and he probably DOES mean 2000 miles. 3k is about max for a nitrile ADBV. Those who get more probably don't have an engine sensitive to an empty filter.

Filter cutter from Summitracing. About $35

I opened the factory Mopar filter that came on my SRT-4 and it was a fram, and that was the last fram my car will ever see...

Originally Posted By: 7055
^^^ With the cardboard endcaps?

Yes, with the cardboard "paper end caps are just fine, yet they use metal end caps on their top of the line filter for some reason" end caps.

I know the MoPar oil filters can be many different filters, thats why I listed that particular part number. Does anybody know a good way to cut into a filter?

Triple 7 do you mean 20,000 miles? I would hope they don't fail after only 2000

It was around 2,000 miles - two years service. The old timer drove it once or twice a week on short trips to nearby stores or restaurants. The oil on the dipstick was real clear - even after 2K. All services for that vehicle - since new in 1994, were done at the dealer.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
^^^ With the cardboard endcaps?

Yes, with the cardboard "paper end caps are just fine, yet they use metal end caps on their top of the line filter for some reason" end caps.

The OEM assembly line filter can be different from the aftermarket OEM filter.

I use the 04781452BB filter on my 3.7L Dakota, I buy them from the Dodge dealer for $5.00 each, The code number is also referred to as MO-452, I cut one open and it is a very good filter it has a generous amont of filter paper, as far as I can tell it is the same as the Wix Filter 51516 with the difference that the Mopar Filter has a nitrle anti-drain back valve, I only buy enough for one year and they are always fresh out of the box, the dealer goes through so many filters they are never old, I do not like to buy filters from the store because people open the boxes to look at them and I have seen them dropped on the floor.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

The OEM assembly line filter can be different from the aftermarket OEM filter.

I am aware of that, but in my case the OEM filter was a re-bagged fram filter and I'm pretty sure the oil had not been changed with only 8 miles on the car.

Fram got the low bid on the assembly line offering. Purolator (at some point, if our WM offerings are genuine) got the aftermarket MOPAR award.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back