Magnefine filter and transmission flushes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a magnefine filter for my wife's 2003 Honda Accord. I am presently running Redline D-4 in the transmission after a complete flush by the Honda Dealer. I was planning to use Schaeffer's #204 next. If I install the magnefine filter, do I then simply drain and fill the transmission fluid as opposed to performing a complete flush? Does a complete flush potentially harm the transmission with a magnefine filter especialy if I wanted to use Auto Rx since the 50k interval will be coming up in a few months?

Hmmm..I'm not worried about the trans at all. I wouldn't want to saturate the Mangefine with the liberated junk and rendering it useless. It's a small filter and more than up to the task of normal usage for a decent amount of time, but an Auto-Rx treatment may saturated it. It has a bypass valve ..but no reason to shorten its life in the process here.

I'd wait until you've flushed the treatment fluid out of the trans before installing the Magnefine. I'd consult http://www.auto-rx.com for the correct mileage to have the treatment end at your intended mileage/time frame. I'd do a complete exchange and then install the magnefine. If you want to do a pan drop at the same time, fine.

This is just my opinion. I haven't assessed the impact on filter in transmissions with Auto-Rx. Most larger auxiliary filters could probably last years ...even with Auto-Rx. With the Magnefine, due to its size, I'm unsure.

Last edited:
I don't see why you would want to flush out or change the D4 Redline you just had installed. Just install the Magnafine and change every 25K. Do a UOA on the Redline ATF at 50K and see where your at.

How long has RL been in the trans? Also, call them to see how much ester is in the fluid ..it may not be like their motor oil. An Auto-Rx treatment isn't recommended with ester based formulations due to them competing with each other.

I had the redline put in about 7000 miles ago in August. I had previously ran Amsoil ATF for 20k miles and had a UOA completed, which is posted. The wear metals seemed relatively high based on time, mileage, and the fact that the Amsoil was put in after a complete flush as well. It seems Honda transmissions are harder on fluid based on reading other people's remarks. I purchased the Magnefine based on your opinion Gary. I have read and re-read the auxillary transmission section, and even though I still don't really understand most of the content, I was impressed by your thought process regarding installation of auxillary filters, and the fact that you have magnefine swayed me. I knowI am being silly, but am always looking to try new fluids, and wanted to put Schaeffer's in transmission next. I could wait to install magnefine after do auto rx if ester content is low, do a complete flush and then put schaeffer's in. If I install magnefine now, do a drain and fill with Schaeffer's in the future, is it bad to mix fluids like that?

The thing with Auto-Rx is that when it encounters esters or di-esters it slows the process of due to the components competing with each other for space on the metal. It still works ...just slower. That's why Frank tends to hound people not to do it with PAO or other exotic formulations.

The Magnefine is a great product. They offer auxiliary filtration to virtually anyone due to its compact size. I found the one that I cut open feature packed for something so small. Reinforced media, washer shaped magnet that matched the end cap of the mini-filer, and a bypass valve.

My only reservation with you installing it before doing your Auto-Rx cycle is that, due to the limited size of the filter; that's primarily there to snag debris of >10um nominal, you'll saturate it with liberated varnish and entrain material that would be better removed from the system with a complete flush.

Now there's also the undeniable fact that fluids you're exchanging trump the cost of a Magnefine by a good bit, so there's surely nothing wrong with using it during an Auto-Rx cleaning as long as you're willing to replace it at some point in the near future. Once the trans is purged and clean, a Magnefine should last a decent amount of time.

Check to see if your 2003 Accord already has an external ATF - my 2004 4 cyl does. IIRC, Magnefine recommends against adding their unit if there is already an external ATF. You could also try to replace the OEM ATF with the Magnefine, but the Magnefine is much longer.

Wix doesn't list a filter for the trans as they do with other spin-on OEM filters.
21.gif

Air Filter 46831 L4 2.4L 2354cc VTEC Engine
Cabin Air Filter 24815 3 L4 2.4L 2354cc VTEC Cabin
Oil Filter 51356 L4 2.4L 2354cc VTEC
Air Filter 46832 V6 3.0L 2997cc VTEC Engine
Cabin Air Filter 24815 3 V6 3.0L 2997cc VTEC Cabin
Oil Filter 51356 V6 3.0L 2997cc VTEC

Originally Posted By: DaveL
Check to see if your 2003 Accord already has an external ATF - my 2004 4 cyl does. IIRC, Magnefine recommends against adding their unit if there is already an external ATF. You could also try to replace the OEM ATF with the Magnefine, but the Magnefine is much longer.

It does. The Honda part # is 25430-PLR-003. Retail price of the filter is $18.35, but I can get it online for $13.54.

Wix doesn't list it ...but ..w/Critic's prodding here ..Purolator has part numbers ..but the product isn't released yet ..and they don't have the spec's to figure out the thread size.

I assume one is the in pan deal ..the other the external

4 cyl. 2.4L F.I. (i-VTEC)
P1319
Not Available - Availability To Be Announced.Mag. 5/16
P1320
Not Available - Availability To Be Announced.Mag. 3/8
N/S
V6 3.0L F.I. (VTEC)

P1319
Not Available - Availability To Be Announced.Mag. 5/16
P1320
Not Available - Availability To Be Announced.Mag. 3/8
N/S

DaveL: good catch

Critic: Go find more creative ways to spend money on "must do" needless repair procedures
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Wix doesn't list it ...but ..w/Critic's prodding here ..Purolator has part numbers ..but the product isn't released yet ..and they don't have the spec's to figure out the thread size.

I assume one is the in pan deal ..the other the external

One is an internal unit that can only be replaced if the transmission is disassembled. The one I mentioned is an in-line unit that's located toward the top of the transmission.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Critic: Go find more creative ways to spend money on "must do" needless repair procedures
grin2.gif

Yes, sir!
grin2.gif

Well I'm thinking of installing one on my tranny and power steering, the magnefine website says the element is rated @ 25 microns. I think gary is right on target about saturating the magnefine during a flush because when we install a new tranny from ford they send a magnefine, some hose and fittings. The intreging part is that ford has a sticker in the kit which reads, this tranny has a external filter that must be removed during a flush.

I have a magnefine on my tranny and was thinking of putting one on the PS, but I'm curious to know how much fluid is typically in a PS system. Of course it would vary between models but I seem to recall the capacities averaging 1-2 quarts.

I wonder about putting a $25 filter to filter 1-2 quarts of fluid. Seems you could change the fluid out several times for $25.

I have a Magnefine installed for my power steering fluid. My truck takes about 2 quarts. As dirty as the ps fluid gets it seems like a good idea to filter it. I also flush the fluid annually.

If you have a Magnefine already installed, you've already broken the return line to fit it. Then you can just do it like a trans. Otherwise, you use the turkey baster method.

I have ran one auto rx treatment about 37k miles ago in her car. Would runnning another auto rx treatment and then putting the magnefine filter on be a better option than putting the magnefine filter on now and performing a drain and fill every 10 miles or so? If I put Schaeffer's in the transmission when drain and fill, is there a problem mixing the Schaeffer's with the Redline?

Put in your Auto-Rx ..run it the specified time by Frank's recommendations, FLUSH the fluid via the cooler lines. Do a pan drop if you desire (I don't recall if Frank recommends that first or not) ...add the fluid of your choice. Install your Magnefine.

Anyone know anything about the new oil filter adaptor that Magnefine has out. It's called FORCEFIELD. Looks like it screws on the engine, then the oil filter screws on to it. Looks like one big magnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back