Sauerkraut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
I bought Boar's Head brand [censored] this year in the meat case and it was excellent.

well, [censored].

Mori, up to that day, I'd had no trouble eating saurkraut. This was a long, long time ago, but I remember it was Boar's Head saurkraut and I didn't think it smelled very good, but for some reason, I ate it, and I was the only one who ate it. Is it possible for saurkraut to go bad?

Hahahah I forgot about this thread. Actually Hebrew National Saurkraut is very good. Its refrigerated in a bag. I guess I answered my original question. The stuff has preservatives in it and so I can't just re-ferment it. So much for that.

No brand can hold a candle to home made. Home made has no sourness to speak of and it is way more digestible. My wife spends the next 24 hours in the bathroom after eating the store bought stuff. She has zero problems with home made.

sauerkraut.gif

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Mori, up to that day, I'd had no trouble eating saurkraut. This was a long, long time ago, but I remember it was Boar's Head saurkraut and I didn't think it smelled very good, but for some reason, I ate it, and I was the only one who ate it. Is it possible for saurkraut to go bad?

I've never tried Boar's Head sauerkraut. Their cured meat products are so-so.

In properly pickled [censored], the Lactobacteriaceae are dominant and will kill any other organism. If some contaminant got into the jar, I suppose it's possible that the [censored] will spoil.

Originally Posted By: Al
No brand can hold a candle to home made. Home made has no sourness to speak of and it is way more digestible.

That's right. There is mild or savory sourness, but it's due to the lactic acid from the bacteria. The canned stuff tastes usually like it's been pickled in salty vinegar. That's just awful.

Naturally fermented sauerkraut is very good for the intestine, although some folks will have to make a dash for the hopper soon after eating [censored].
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: mori
vine leaves

I've used all but the above in my various kroot fermentations. What are vine leaves? Grape vine leaves?

Never got the shatz from any [censored], but agree canned [censored] is just weird. Some of the bagged stuff is OK, but no spices, no flavors.....

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: mori
vine leaves

I've used all but the above in my various kroot fermentations. What are vine leaves? Grape vine leaves?

Oops, my drunk. Grape leaves, aye.

I like sauerkraut
thumbsup2.gif

In college, a roomie of mine made some in a crock pot with ham and these huge lima beans. We ate like hogs for a week!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: moribundman
You can buy canned (in a glass jar, actually) German sauerkraut that is okay. Look for the brand Hengstenberg. Specialty food stores carry it.

Wife bought Kühne brand at Discount Grocer. Pickled Red Cabbage in a glass jar from Germany. In vinegar and wine vinegar. Probably no good, she said it won't meet mori's standards.

Will have with some meat tonight.

Actually, it's [censored], but not sauerkraut. Remember, [censored] is a vague term. Red cabbage = Blaukraut (or Rotkohl).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back