maxlife=dark oil=clean engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used mainly synthetic oils for the last 40k miles and the oil usually does not begin to darken for about 2-3k miles then it gradual darkens until I change the oil at about 5-6k miles. Because of this I consider my engine to be pretty clean internally even though I can only see thru oil filler(clean shiny metal inside). I used Maxlife blend 5w20 for the 1st time and within 1k miles I noticed the oil was as dark as my previous synthetic oil would be at 5k miles, and by the time I drained the maxlife at 4k miles it was as black as Seal (the singer). My question is does this oil naturally turn dark faster or is it cleaning my already clean engine.

That's good. Dark engine oil means it is doing it's job. As for whether or not the MaxLife is cleaning your engine...that is it's claim. It claims to have more additives and such to help remove sludge. It could also be other factors like the type of gas you used which may be putting more byproducts in the oil.

Try using MaxLife again and see if the oil stays cleaner this time to see if it actually cleaned up things inside.

Last edited:
I remember when maxlife was nearly clear out of the bottle, they didnt put much color in it at all and it was great.

I also noticed that the very last few drops of oil that came out during the drain was a little thicker than usual, so maybe maxlife is doing what it claims and removing sludge.

I have heard that thinner oils get to parts easier and tends to clean better but I cannot verify this. I have only seen people post that info but not sure they have a valid basis.

Originally Posted By: coffee
I have heard that thinner oils get to parts easier and tends to clean better but I cannot verify this. I have only seen people post that info but not sure they have a valid basis.

Probably a rumor based on the flow properties of thinner oils.

1. The oil darkens because it is cleaning the engine internally
2. The oil darkens because it is oxidizing and wearing out.
3. The oil darkens because of contamination from blowby .

Probably more because of 2 + 3 than 1.

With my first two OCI's on the bought used from the original owner Buick, the Maxlife had turned dark within about 1700 miles; but the previous owner had been using Pennzoil dino for the first 82K miles of the car's life. After the 2nd OCI with Maxlife, the varnish stains left behind by the Pennzoil were completely gone from the rocker arms and valve springs. I've been a Maxlife believer ever since.

My Jeeps first dose of maxlife, after 1000 miles its turned milky Yellow Golden brown, I figure its removing varnish, its about the color of the varnish I saw in inside of the valve cover.

I like what I am hearing about maxlife and "cleaning" the engine. I am now 400 miles into a Havoline dino OCI and I still see clear oil on dipstick, so I may try maxlife again next oci to see if this "cleaning" effect continues.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
With my first two OCI's on the bought used from the original owner Buick, the Maxlife had turned dark within about 1700 miles; but the previous owner had been using Pennzoil dino for the first 82K miles of the car's life. After the 2nd OCI with Maxlife, the varnish stains left behind by the Pennzoil were completely gone from the rocker arms and valve springs. I've been a Maxlife believer ever since.

The current Pennzoil yellow bottle stuff is very good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
The current Pennzoil yellow bottle stuff is very good.

I never said it wasn't; I'm just saying that I highly suspect the previous owner left it in there too long is all.

For what it's worth my oil seems to stay lighter longer with the thicker oils. Since I put in the Amsoil 30/10-30 the oil has stayed clear at 3,100 miles which is about twice as long as the old 5-20 did and a little longer than the SSO 0-30. Contrary to what everyone told me on here, power seems to be better than ever, oil pressure light goes out before I let go of the key, and I still knock down 30mpg on my trips. Just thinking out loud, could but is it possible you get better cylinder sealing (less blowby) with the thicker stuff? Maybe the thicker stuff helps on cold starts by reducing blowby when it's running at it's richest? I know the ULEV-2 cars like mine run very rich when first started to fire off the cats.

PO on this minivan with 216K I'm looking at says (and sticker verifies) 2500 miles on a MaxLife change at WM. Oil is black as tar but oil fill cap removal still shows a significant amount of varnishes. He says this is the first time he's used the stuff. Maybe a few more changes with this oil will clean out the well-worn 3800 really well. Drives great, though, no complaints from me on it starting and running in 30-40 degree weather this morning.

anyone know the best auto parts store to buy Maxlife "Syn" as I live in Austin and I have maybe seen the syn version only once and thAt was about a year ago, now I only see the blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back