Funnel reuse/cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for another thread where we BITOGers can wallow in our obsessive attention to detail..

Oil and coolant are two fluids that need to be filled regularly (but hopefully not too regularly) from the top of the engine bay. Those of us who use a funnel to fill both fluids are faced with a choice:

1) Reuse the same funnel for both coolant and oil.
2) Keep separate funnels for different fluids.

Even when using different funnels for different fluids, you still might have to use your funnels on multiple cars, and thus potentially mix your oils and coolants together (not that this matters at all...)

So when using the same funnel for both oil and coolant, what can be used to adequately clean it off so you don't contaminate your oil and coolant with each other? Is a thorough wipe-down with a shop towel good enough? Obviously we're talking about very small amounts of fluid here, but you can never be too careful :)

Conversely, is the only way to really satisfy this paranoia to keep a stash of funnels, each kept neatly in its own plastic baggie?

For an oil funnel I use the top part of a 2 liter soda bottle. The screw end fits perfectly in the oil filler opening and doesn't flop around. when you are done, wipe it out or just through it away.

You can use the same thing for the coolant.

The automatic tranny funnel has to be smaller, so it requires a special store bought funnel

I use 1 funnel for my oil recycling jugs that I never clean. I have a seperate funnel for new oil and keep it coverd with a towel. I only clean it with a towel as needed. My transmission funnel is skinnier at the neck and longer and I keep it in a bag because of less frequent use and it wants fall over and get dirty due to its shape. My vehicles usually only require new coolant on very rare occasions (maybe only when being flushed). I either clean my oil funnel with a towel or don't use a funnel at all for that. Most cars don't consume coolant do they? The only car I had that needed regular fill ups of coolant had a leaking gasket.

For oil funnels, just save empty quart oil bottles. When you need an oil funnel cut the bottom off, use it once, then trash it.

I have over the years accumulated 8 plastic funnels that I throw in the dishwasher( except for the waste oil one that never gets cleaned) when the wife is out shopping. I just double up on the dishwasher detergent and it cleans them like new.

Oh boy I hope she never reads this forum
27.gif

Originally Posted By: PT1
I have over the years accumulated 8 plastic funnels that I throw in the dishwasher( except for the waste oil one that never gets cleaned) when the wife is out shopping. I just double up on the dishwasher detergent and it cleans them like new.

27.gif

Suppose if she ever catches you, you can tell her it's a good way to make sure all the parts in the dishwasher get lubed.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: PT1

27.gif

Suppose if she ever catches you, you can tell her it's a good way to make sure all the parts in the dishwasher get lubed.

LOL

I have one specifically for motor oil, one for tranny fluid, and one specifically for coolant. That way, I don't have to worry about cleaning them very well.

Originally Posted By: lostwrench
I do hope you are joking.

Dr. W.

Not at all.....maybe that explains my daughters third eye in the middle of her forehead......
20.gif

Originally Posted By: rpn453
I have one specifically for motor oil, one for tranny fluid, and one specifically for coolant.

That's what I do too.
55.gif

I picked up a large red funnel from Target that's been a Godsend for using with 5 quart oil bottles; before that, I was using one of those small funnels with the long snout that took me forever to pour a 5 quart bottle of oil through.

With the quart bottle turned funnel, the 5 qt jugs pour is at full speed.

Now was that Synpower? Durablend would have poured slower no doubt as it is not as slippery.
whistle.gif

i use separate funnels for different types of fluid. my oil funnel i keep covered when not in use to keep dust out. i like to wipe them out after using also. my pet peeve with wiping out a funnel with a towel or rag is lint! i HATE when i see lint in my otherwise clean funnel. do you know how harmful lint can be to engine bearings?

Quote:
i HATE when i see lint in my otherwise clean funnel.

That's why I don't use Kleenex anymore; they're loaded with lint.

The Viva towels however, are lint free.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
Most cars don't consume coolant do they? The only car I had that needed regular fill ups of coolant had a leaking gasket.

I need to top up my expansion tank about every year, because of normal evaporation.

If I need a funnel, I just wipe out my one funnel just before use.

yea i have 2 funnels. one for my ATF and the other is for oil. I usually just give it a wipe before i use them as they've been sitting and accumulating crud in the garage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back