2001 Ford Windstar Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Ford Windstar with 108k miles. I've always used 5w-20, per Ford's recommendation. Recently we've had a problem with pinging, oil consumption and fouled plugs.

My mechanic recommends using a 5w30, saying that the heavier weight may help a bit with the consumption. Any opinions on that, additives such as Restore, or a high mileage oil such as Maxlife?

This is not a long term car for us; I need it to last about 12 months before I can replace it.

I just installed Valvoline SynPower 5-40 in our Windstar 3.8 1999 version and the engine is using less oil and is much happier! Autozone is having a sale for a few more day's...give it a try.

I've got the same van, but only 80Kmi. The 1999-2003 Windstar 3.8L is notorius for oil carry-over into the upper intake manifold. You can kind of slow it by using only OEM PCV valves, or by installing a home-made catch can. YOu will find pools of oil in there if you take the top half of the upper intake (clamb shell) off. At that mileage, you most likely have partially plugged EGR jets in the lower intake, that is causing higher than normal combustion chamber temps, pinging and more oil consumption. I'd continue with the 5w-20 and pull your upper intake for a cleaning. You'll want to replace the isolator bolts and O-ring seals for the upper intake if you remove it. Those tend to cause vac leaks later on anyway.

Joel

Maxlife is a good oil and has solved problems in some vehicles. You could start off with the 5W-30 and work up to a 10W-40 if needed in the summer. Restore type products not so good in my opinion but has probably worked for some people or would not be still on the market after all these years. Just not my choice. Pinging may indicate the need for fuel system/combustion chamber cleaner. The best I have found so far is the newer Amsoil PI. It is a great one-bottle cleanup product for 8-10 dollars. Great stuff. Another good one is Techron for 20 gal. bottle at Advance Auto for about $11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back