Grommets and other rubber type stuff rejuvenator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been asked a question on another forum that I can't seem to find the answer to. What is the recognized product, spray or otherwise that should be used to renew/preserve old rubber grommets and the like. I've heard everything from WD-40 to Armor All to Silicone and almost an equal number of responses warning against either the products or the propellants in the products. Nothing beyond opinions so far, so I'm hoping for a bit in the way of recommendations from manufacturers or good long term results. By the way, the item in question is a 1989 Honda motorcycle.

Isopropyl Alcohol can be used to remove the oxidized rubber (like a hazy coating) to expose un-deteriorated rubber underneath. then protect it with a rubber protectant (do not know of any outstanding products, I use 303 Aerospace protectant) If not, then when you apply the rubber protectant you will get mushy black crud.

uhhmn yrs ago I rehabbed a jeep fuel pump that had been sittig on a shelf for about a decade. The diaphram was stiff as a board. I soaked the diaphram in a little MMO overnight and re-assembled the pump. It ran fine when I took the Jeep off the road 5 yrs later

The rubber grommets that I have on my Goldwing are treated with spray silicone, and it works great at keeping them like new.

303 Products. Hands down the best stuff you can buy. Go read about it. You'll find it on all other forums.

Jared

303 doesnt seem to last very long for me. Although it does look healthy at first, and works wonders on BMW radios

On my used "rubber" gaskets that get hard I soak them in lacquer thinner (50/50 toluene/xylene) until they have softened up. Then immediately soak them 24 hours in Rislone.

Works pretty good. Also use it on the old hard PCV hoses that are near impossible to find.

Years ago when I worked at a Volvo dealership part of the lube ritual was to spray all the rubber suspension bushings with Indian Head Rubber Dressing. It was a clear, oily stuff, and fairly light viscosity - think it was a Permatex product, but haven't seen it in years.

I always use this kind rubber conditioner, which looks like a giant lip balm stick:

sonax_hirschtalg.jpg

Contains highly refined stag tallow, which keeps natural and synthetic rubber supple. Prevents door gaskets from freezing to door frames. Does not get rancid. Don't ask me if you can get SONAX in the US. I don't know if you can.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I always use this kind rubber conditioner, which looks like a giant lip balm stick:

sonax_hirschtalg.jpg

Contains highly refined stag tallow, which keeps natural and synthetic rubber supple. Prevents door gaskets from freezing to door frames. Does not get rancid. Don't ask me if you can get SONAX in the US. I don't know if you can.

I found this stuff on their website, "Article" number 499100 (I think we would say "Model Number" here), it's the last item under their Winter Care section. Where to purchase it- yeah, that's a different story but there's probably someone in the U.S.A. who can snag some.

Originally Posted By: Crashbox
"Article" number 499100 (I think we would say "Model Number" here)

In this context "article" means "item," which is also a meaning of "article" in English. I think we commonly use "SKU" here.
wink.gif

I got a tachometer for one of my snowmobiles, it was made in the late 70's and has been sitting forgotten on a shelf until about 2 years ago.

The light bulb socket sits in a rubber grommet which fits into the back of the tach, the rubber had gotten a layer of white grittyness on it, and I soaked it in 303 Aerospace Protectant. Left it for a few months, came back after forgetting all about it, and sure enough the rubber was black, soft, and was once again snug fitting.

Sorry for digging up an old thread. Just wanted to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back