Propane heater in garage - safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very basic "Mr. Heater" 15k BTU propane heater that I'd like to use in my garage. The safety tag clearly says not to burn it indoors, and I know that's because it emitts carbon monoxide and is a fire hazard.

That said, do you think it's really that dangerous to run the thing in my garage? I have a CO detector in there, and I would only need to run the heater for about 10 minutes to warm the place up. It would never be unattended.

Used one for years in my home shop. Also used one (3 burner) at my auto repair shop for 3 winters as full time heat source. Never a problem. As long as CO detector is used and it's not where you sleep when the little woman puts you out, I'd gp for it.

Bob

I keep a 30k btu 'ventless blue flame' propane heater designed for indoor use as an emergency heater. They seem popular in the midwest and east but aren't always legal for indoor use in the wast.

Some of the open flame propane heaters definately state not for indoor use while others seem to be designed for indoor use. The safest would be a direct vent heater I think it's called, where the flame is not exposed to the indoors. It's safer not only for CO but for explosions, but they're more expensive.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
they also burn up the oxygen in the room. make sure it has a supply of fresh air and you should be ok.

Well, yeah, that's one of the problems. There is no air supply, and if I left the door open it would never get warm. But then again, I only need to run it for about 10-15 minutes...not trying to make it 75 degrees in there, just trying to take the edge off.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
The safest would be a direct vent heater I think it's called, where the flame is not exposed to the indoors. It's safer not only for CO but for explosions, but they're more expensive.

Yeah, that would be nice...but not really worth the cost for me. It's not really THAT cold out there...I just like to work in a t shirt.
smile.gif

Does anyone know what the best height is to mount a CO detector? Is CO lighter or heavier than air? I have it mounted at about nose height...does that seem like a good idea?

Last edited:
i have used propane kerosene and diesel heaters indoors before with no problem. just DON'T fall asleep with the thing on. thats the #1 rule. since you're using it in a garage, theres probably low risk that you will take a nap on the hood of you're car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back