Schaeffers 700 15-40 35k Cummins ISM

Status
Not open for further replies.
337k on unit IHC Cummins ISM. Grain haluer. 35k on oil Schaeffers supreme blend 700 15-40
copper 2
iron 82
chrom 4
alum 2
lead 30
moy 63
phos 1485
zinc 1655
mag 1616
calc 2436
nil on H2O fuel and anti.
Silicon 3
Visc 12.68
Sulfur 0
Oxi 54
Nitration 30

Soot 4.1
Lab suggested checking for high idling, clogged air filter, improper fuel ratio.
Mechanic did indeed change filters and said they were nasty. I would say given the conditions this oil held up very well.

Where to H___ did the magnesium come from?

Quote:

Has there ever been a "bad" Schaeffers uoa?

Ha. No I don't think there has been. It's such a good oil. I never hear a bad thing about Schaeffer's. Their PDS are the best by far.

Quote:

There are a few:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=4#Post956539

Schaeffers is a great oil - don't get me wrong - I just think when it's widely enough used in all kinds of beatmobiles - then people point at the oil (rightly or wrongly) as the cause for wear metals, etc.....in other words, give it some time. Right now mostly BITOG anal types with clean engines are using it and skewing the very small population size. Also most UOA's on Schaeffers are posted by salesrep.

Pablo
crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif

Some of the posted uoa's on Schaffers have been long and high miles. The uoa on the semi was most impressive .I have never used the oil but I have been most impressed.

I'd say the high soot contributed to the high lead. Absolutely.

My miles are about the same, I had .1 soot and my wear metals were a fraction of what we see here, other then copper(13 ppm iron, 1.5 ppm aluminum, .7 ppmlead, 28 ppm copper)

I'm no expert by any means, but I'd really suggest this individual cut down their intervals. Get a bypass filter. Is this an EGR engine? If not, they have injector problems. ----, even if it is an EGR engine, I'd get the injectors checked. That's some crazy soot levels.

Quote:

Quote:

There are a few:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=4#Post956539

Schaeffers is a great oil - don't get me wrong - I just think when it's widely enough used in all kinds of beatmobiles - then people point at the oil (rightly or wrongly) as the cause for wear metals, etc.....in other words, give it some time. Right now mostly BITOG anal types with clean engines are using it and skewing the very small population size. Also most UOA's on Schaeffers are posted by salesrep.

confused.gif

From the past 2 years I've spent skulking around here, almost to the man/woman, we're all "mostly BITOG anal types with clean engines". With that in mind, I don't know that Schaeffer's products are skewed in UOA's any more than the guys I've read about running Amsoil premium synthetics with bypass systems and changing oil at 5K oci's ...

Most of us are on this site because we're just a little off center when it comes to all things mechanical. It's our passion; it's our hobby; for some, it's our livelyhood.

This Schaeffers UOA looks high in Fe and soot to me, but then on the other hand it does have 35k miles on it. That's WAY over the BITOG anal retentive self-imposed I-can't-help-myself-I-gotta-change-it limit.
wink.gif

Quote:

From the past 2 years I've spent skulking around here, almost to the man/woman, we're all "mostly BITOG anal types with clean engines". With that in mind, I don't know that Schaeffer's products are skewed in UOA's any more than the guys I've read about running Amsoil premium synthetics with bypass systems and changing oil at 5K oci's ...

Most of us are on this site because we're just a little off center when it comes to all things mechanical. It's our passion; it's our hobby; for some, it's our livelyhood.

This Schaeffers UOA looks high in Fe and soot to me, but then on the other hand it does have 35k miles on it. That's WAY over the BITOG anal retentive self-imposed I-can't-help-myself-I-gotta-change-it limit.
wink.gif

very well said
approved.gif

grain field chaff and dust are killers of even the best air filters.

low speed summer field heat takes the best of oils
wouldn't be surprised if there is not some ring lock in this engine.

is the "mechanic" dosing the engine with oil additives, mag.?

particle count needed to see if air filter is contaminating oil and oil filter.
this engine begs for a real mechanic and TLC
new trucks and engines are not cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back