OIL RECOMMENDATION FOR LAND ROVER LR3

Status
Not open for further replies.
'07 GAS LR3 USES CASTROL GTX 5W30 FROM FACTORY - SHOULD I KEEP USING IT AT THE RECOMMENDED 7500 MILE DEALER PAID CHANGE INTERVAL OR CHANGE MYSELF EVERY 3750 OR HAVE DEALER PUT IN SYNTHETIC AT EXTRA COST DO ME?

The first 2-3 oil changes should be kept short so yes use the conventional 5W30 of your choice. If they allow for oil changes that are 6 month's or 7500 miles a synthetic might be on interest to you. If they allow for thicker oil then 5W30 that might also be useful. Traditionaly Land Rover engines liked solid 40Wt. oils!

GTX is decent oil. If that is the factory fill, why not keep with that chemistry?

Most olks these days lease their vehicles then trade them in in 3 years. After that the risk falls onto the new owner, thus the companies can get away with long duration drains and 'free' maintenance.

Drive carefully with a conservative style, and the oil would last that long no issues... but most dont drive that way. Are you leasing the vehicle? Did you purchase it? How long do you usually keep your vehicles?

if youre getting rid f the truck within 5 years, just follow the book. If your vehicle is a long term purchase, do some short OCIs at the start to clean out the engine, then verify via UOA what your interval would be. Syn oil is always a smart choice, if youre keeping the vehicle long-term.

JMH

The LR3 Engines are actually Ford/Jaguar engines and not the traditional Buick 215 that has been bored out from 3.5-4.6L over the past 40 years of Land Rover Service. All the services including oil change are free up to roughly 50k. As far as I know, no one has reported any problems with oil or sludging from these engines. I wouldn't shorten the service interval, but if you are really concerned do the Oil Analysis.

Use amsoil synthetic it is the best oil on the market. Nothing else is even close in independent test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back