'02 Duramax Delo 400 15W40, WIX - 8,800/113k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous reports can be seen here at 93k miles (5,750 OCI), 98k (5,300 OCI), and 105k miles (7,000 OCI)

A fair amount of towing again, a few hundred near max tow rating. Several 25 mile commute trips to work as well. Truck is now sporting 35" tires instead of 30.5" Wix air and fuel filter (air is probably about due for changing). ULSD used for most, possibly all miles. Still add some PowerService to every tank. Flashpoint is dropping but still seems ok. The longer OCI looks ok to me?

113k_OC-vi.jpg

Thanks!
-Josh

Incase it's too small to read,

Aluminum: 2
Chromium: 0
Iron: 7
Copper: 3
Lead: 6
Tin: 2
Molybdenum: 279
Nickel: 0
Manganese: 0
Silver: 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 2
Boron: 139
Silicon: 13
Sodium: 2
Calcim: 3723
Magnesium: 13
Phosphorus: 1254
Zinc: 1646
Barium: 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210'F: 76.2
cSt Viscnosity @ 100'C: 14.55
Flashpoint in 'F: 425
Fuel %: Antifreze %: 0.0
Water %: 0.0
Insolubles: 0.2
TBN: 9.8

I'm also thinking TBN testing is now a waste of $

Joshua,

Looks great!! DELO is King ..
cool.gif

I've also thought about dropping the TBN but with the AVLube kit it's only an extra $2.50… However here’s an interesting note from George Morrison at AVlube ....

This kit includes TBN - Total Base Number: a reflection of acid neutralization capabilities - NOTE: with ULSD, TBN determination is pretty much a non-factor. Regular oil analysis without TBN highly suggested: George”

smile.gif

Quote:

Joshua,

Looks great!! DELO is King ..
cool.gif

I've also thought about dropping the TBN but with the AVLube kit it's only an extra $2.50… However here’s an interesting note from George Morrison at AVlube ....

This kit includes TBN - Total Base Number: a reflection of acid neutralization capabilities - NOTE: with ULSD, TBN determination is pretty much a non-factor. Regular oil analysis without TBN highly suggested: George”

smile.gif

DELO is definitely king- great UOA. That looks like the CI4+ version. Looks like they upped the Moly and Boron a bit too.
Excellent.
thumbsup.gif

with good clean ULSD with no water, the Delo can go 12k+ in your Duramax

parked in a heated garage in winter?
how's the winter crank and start with 15w40 when outside overnight?

I think most Duramax diesels have great cold weather starting- I have spoken to a fellow who worked at Canadian Forces Station Alert for six months and he mentioned that the Duramax engines would start at almost any temp. Now that was at -40 with 5W40- but if that is any indication of operation I would venture to say that with regular 15W40 you would be fine in most cold temps pushing -30 celsius. It just might not flow well- but it probably would not leave you stranded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back