Pros and cons of traction control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you were talking about the auto braking/power to wheels to avoid a skid control. On her dash it reads traction control and you have the option of leaving it on or off. Sounds like alot of you are talking about more of a limited slip axle. I came from PA, after 35 years of snow and ice. I drove triaxles in the winter, they have switchs on the dash so you can lock the differentals together, so two wheels on each tandem have power,(only one wheel will spin if you get hung up, then you can hit another switch and lock all four wheels to power on all the tandems. I thought this would be Great in the snow, it is for going in circles. Not to mention you cant steer the thing, it goes straight. It was a gizmo option, if you got stuck, otherwise worthless, the first axle lock was sufficent.

Quote:

I thought you were talking about the auto braking/power to wheels to avoid a skid control.

Basic difference between traction control and stability control is that traction control only applies brakes when you try to accelerate abruptly (or accelerate on slippery surface) thus causing the drive wheels to spin. Traction control does nothing if your car is spinning sideways and you have your foot off the gas. That's where stability control comes in. Its purpose is to maintain your intended travel direction, not just to prevent 'freewheeling'.

However, in both cases this is accomplished by the system applying brakes to individual wheels.

Stability control is a more advanced system and it normally contains the traction control system. If your vehicle has stability control, then it has the traction control piece as well.

Quote:

If it's the type of traction control that utilizes wheel-braking, it can shorten the life of your front brake pads if you find yourself doing a lot of jackrabbit starts. If it just kills throttle when wheelspin is detected, it will just help keep the car on its intended path and extend your treadlife (barring any hard cornering). I think overall these systems are more about helping complete idiots stay out of the ditch than to keep you from having fun...but they do take away your fun.

Exactly what is "your fun?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back