2003 Honda S2000 AP1 recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of oil should I use , I just aquired a 2003 Honda AP1 S2000.

This is the F20C motor which revs up to 9000rpms, I live in Houston Texas so heat is obviously always an issue, as well as the car is a daily driver. I plan on doing 5k oil intervals. The owners manual recommends 10w-30 and I am leaning towards towards Mobil 1 10W-30 anyone have
any other reason to go with a Castrol/Valvoline oil please advise, thanks in advance!!

Have you considered PP 5w30 it meets Honda's hto-06 spec for the turbo Acura Mdx. It has great UOA in many engines! It's still a 30wt @ operating temp w/ faster flow @ startup. If it can handle the heat from a turbo appilcation then a high rpm app should be no problem.
joe

I have done research as I am planning on getting an s2000 after my Boxster dies. I would recommend a dino 10w-30 or a syn 5w-30. It shouldnt matter much at 5k intervals. You might also consider getting a 5 or 0w40 or at least a thick 30 like GC (the other recommended weight in the manual) for the added top end since you live in such a hot climate.

From what I have read, syn 5w-30 is preferable to the recommended dino 10w-30 for the added flow and protection on start up, especially in colder climates. Not sure how much of an issue this will be for you as again you live in Texas.

If your S2000 is out of warranty, I would suggest you to step up to Xw-40 since you live in Texas. In fact, Honda Japan recommends 5w-40 for the S2000:

Honda Japan Engine Oil
Honda Japan Oil Recommendation

Mobil 1 0w-40 will serve you well if you want to stick with Mobil 1 and Walmart.

On the other hand, if your car is still under warranty, Mobil 1 10w-30 with 5k OCIs will still suffice.

Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic is also available at Wal Mart, and is great for engines that need 5w40 oil. At $16-$17 per gallon, it is a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back