Help! Can't Remove GM Plug Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the same issue with my '01 Grand Prix. I ended up breaking 2 wires. The care was 5 years old and had 60k miles on it at the time. I wanted to replace them before they were on there too many years and were stuck. Usually in the past the boots get stuck to the ceramic part of the plug, but in this instance the electrical connector seemed to be welded to the plug. I think I'll leave them for 100k next time, I put iridiums in the platinums place. The plugs that came out looked great and didn't really need to be replaced.

Hopefully you won't need these, but just in case:

http://www.ytmag.com/toolt/messages/16365.html

http://osdir.com/ml/culture.cars.volkswagen.diesel/2003-08/msg00281.html

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139982

Sounds like you're having fun.
grin.gif
Good luck Jim.

I wish you were closer to me. I'd like to try my hand at removing them. I feel that even in my old age I could get em off by pulling on them.

Might destroy em but I'll get em off!
laugh.gif

I just did my step father's 01 z71 1500 with 75k yesterday. I agree they are a pain, plus the motor was still pretty warm. Watch the closest plug to the firewall on the passenger side, it can be tricky.

GM actually glues the boots to the spark plugs on purpose; believe it or not.

The boots have to be twisted in order to break the bond. There should be a little bit of the boot sticking up past the heat shield to grab with nose pliers. Don't grab the heat shields; that won't help in removing the boots anyway.

I grabbed the boots at a right angle with the nose pliers; then using my other hand, I pushed up on the nose pliers. Be prepared for your hand to go flying into something hard when the boots lets go.
shocked.gif

Quote:

GM actually glues the boots to the spark plugs on purpose; believe it or not.

I'm not exactly saying that I don't believe you because nobody can know everything and you must have seen this- but I've never seen it done within GM. This is based on my GM experiences working in several assembly plants. Also my GM-Powertrain rep has never heard of this.

Could it have been done by a dealership (who BTW are NOT GM employees but dealership employees). When have you seen boots glued on and what year/model of vehicle? Again - just my experiences here so don't take me the wrong way.

Well, perhaps calling it glue may have been slightly inaccurate. They use a boot sealer that pretty much does the same thing as glue would. I don't have a link to reference that to, but I was given that information by a certified GM master technician. You can call it hearsay if you want to.
dunno.gif

On the ones I just did, there was some kind of grease like substance on the ends of the plugs, kind of like dielectric grease that had some green looking corrosion stuff with it. It was the first time they were off too, tough but they came off and the plug gaps were way off. I know some companys spray a clear coat over their engines once they are assembled to prevent corrosion, maybe this is why they are a pain.

That is probably correct because I use boot grease at every plug change and I have seen the glue-like substance that was the boot grease all dried up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back