OnStar to allow police to slow vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...no new GM vehicles for me. I could definitely see this being abused.

A line has to be drawn somewhere. I know they are doing this to end chases quickly, but it is way too intrusive, way too open for abuse, and way too much big brother.

Just another of the ways big brother(business)/The New World Order's way of preparing us for the end! When they take total control.

Quote:

Wow...no new GM vehicles for me. I could definitely see this being abused.

A line has to be drawn somewhere. I know they are doing this to end chases quickly, but it is way too intrusive, way too open for abuse, and way too much big brother.

It doesn't make me want to go GM a big hug, but in the unlikely event GM has a car that I want next time I buy a new one, I can easily disable Onstar.

There is nothing to worry about, we all know the police will never abuse that ability and being from GM it will be so well done and so secure that no hacker will ever figure out how to GM shut cars off. And I'm the Easter Bunny.

Now it's time for some kiss ---- to come along and say we have nothing to worry about if we have done nothing wrong.

AS per all the other issues, if you are doing the right thing, you've got nothing to worry about...yeah right.

This is only reinforcing my notion of keeping my current 8 year old car (with a good old-fashioned throttle cable) for as long as possible, maintenance costs be ****ed.

I can't wait to hear about the virus that knocks out a couple million cars, causing miles-long traffic snarls as police route the now-idling GM products onto off-ramps and parking lots while they wait to fix the virus...

If a virus knocked out a couple million cars, it would also take out who knows how many millions of cell phones, since that's what the OnStar is based on.

This is nothing but a good thing in my opinion. It is likely to save lives. If this was so easy to hack into do you really think gm would do it? Do you really think they would introduce this system without any security considerations. They're not trying to control you they're trying to stop a stolen car before the crack addict behind the wheel runs a red light and takes out a van full of kids.

Quote:

This is nothing but a good thing in my opinion. It is likely to save lives. If this was so easy to hack into do you really think gm would do it? Do you really think they would introduce this system without any security considerations. They're not trying to control you they're trying to stop a stolen car before the crack addict behind the wheel runs a red light and takes out a van full of kids.

Nothing works perfectly 100% of the time, and there will still be crashes with this system.

OnStar is not easy for a thief to disable. I didn't say it couldn't be done.

ps-they aren't telling you the whole story. They can already disable the car. Seen it done.

It's not a part of OnStar, but they can also tell how fast you were going when you had an accident, whether you applied the brakes or not, how long the engine was running, if the ac was on, and a whole lot more.

I forgot to tell you. I know Lexus uses OnStar as well, but it may be under another name.

One of the reasons why I bought my '04 Silverado.

New enough to still be under factory warranty, but not equipped with OnStar.

Quote:

OnStar is not easy for a thief to disable. I didn't say it couldn't be done.

The hardest part is going to be finding the OnStar module...and there just aren't that many different places to put it.

My 2006 Saab 93 didn't come with OnStar. I don't miss it.

Quote:

ps-they aren't telling you the whole story. They can already disable the car. Seen it done.

I was wondering about that. If they can unlock the doors and read the computer, being able to stop the car is just another few lines of code in the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back