anything other than plastic string for a weedeater

Status
Not open for further replies.
what else can i use for a weedeater instead of plastic string? i get tired of changing it or fixing it when the string comes off.

nylon is generally used because of its forgiving nature on ones skin. however....
i tried copper wire once. it lasted about 2 feet before flying off into the neighbours yard.
you might try steel braded cable, like that which they make fishing leaders out of. the copper wire was too brottle. but steel cable might work really well.

Used to have an aftermarket do-hickey with 2 short sections of chainsaw chain! Cut like gangbusters,,,,but you didn't DARE get it close to fence,siding,cartires,etc!!!

Bob

Quote:

but you didn't DARE get it close to fence,siding,cartires,etc!!!

Bob

That's the problem right there. The risks don't out-weigh the bennies. Get yourself a coil of hi quality trimmer string. I've been using this husqvarna brand string. It's a silvery gray color and has a scaled texture to it. The amount of time this stuff lasts between bumps is amazing. The best I ever used.

Joel

Quote:

nylon is generally used because of its forgiving nature on ones skin. however....
i tried copper wire once. it lasted about 2 feet before flying off into the neighbours yard.
you might try steel braded cable, like that which they make fishing leaders out of. the copper wire was too brottle. but steel cable might work really well.

Sounds a bit dangerous!...

If you use wire make sure to tie fishing weights to the end to keep it taught.

Seriously, you could try a different line head. Some are better than others. You mentioned the line coming off, make sure the line is taught when you wind it in a bump head and try to cut with just the tip of the line. My line always breaks or welds when I try to plow the ground, cut down a tree or tear the bottom of the fence out.

Quote:

I've seen plastic fingers that replace the string on TV, don't know how well they work or how long they last.
---- shoot.

I found those at WM, and have been using them for about 4 years now, and I like them a heck of a lot better than string!

Get a new bump head made by Echo along with the Oregon thick string with the blue "core". That combo is hard to beat. The reinforced Oregon string is very slippery and does not bunch up while unwinding. Plus it is extra strong.

By the way, the string must be new. Old stuff performs much worse.

I got this from the Pro's here in South Florida (where things grow all year).

Chris

I "upgraded" from 0.080 to 0.095 inch string for my cheapo Homelite. Before, I'd go through at least two spools a season. Since "upgrading", one spool lasts me a season plus.

In my foolish younger days working as grounds crew at a golf course, we got sick of replacing line, so we ended up attaching 2 correct lengths of bailing wire to the trimmer head.

Worked like a charm if you didn't care about what the grass was up against....eg. stones, fence-posts, etc.

I've tried all the gadgets on my Echo. Turns out the original head is the best. I just learned through trial and error how to wind it up correctly and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back