RMI-25 First Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

RnR

I've finally got some RMI-25 in hand and wanted to verify that it is acceptable practice to add this to the overflow tank. If it's supposed to be added direct to the radiator, I'll do that, but I think my DEXCOOL system is "supposed" to stay sealed; although the current mix has +80k on it.

I'm really looking forward to what this stuff can do to my system... the reports here and elsewhere look quite encouraging.

But anyway - overflow tank, OK??

I just added it to my rad. I don't have Dex Cool though. It does disperse throughout the system. I have had it in my cooling system for about a week now and I can already see stuff coming into the overflow tank. Nothing large in size...just small amounts of glop...best word I can use to describe it. I used to have a Prestone Ext. Service coolant in there and I think it is getting rid of the layer of that from off the inside of the block. The rad and coolant is only 5 weeks old so the stuff in there is most likely coming from the block and water pump.

The one thing I did notice is that there was a white-ish build up on the solder around the fill neck of the rad and it is now gone...its just dark solid grey color now. it seems to be doing what it said it would do...so far so good. I am going to swap coolant after about 1000 miles and then re-add the remaining RMI 25 that I have left. I only used a little less than 1/2 the bottle. Apparently 8 oz is enough for 5 gallons of fluid. I have about 2 1/2 gallons of fluid in my system so I used less than 1/2 the bottle. I wish they would've provided a measurement cup.

The way things worked out it was a split between the radiator and the overflow tank... no big deal in the end. As my cooling system has over 180+ miles on it, I elected to use the whole bottle and "git 'r done!" I was rather pleased that the current Dexcool mix was looking pretty decent (at least when pulled off the top of the reservoir with a turkey baster) - but will be watching the cleaning process over the next couple of weeks to see what nasties ooze their way out of the system.

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back