OIL RECOMMENDATION: 2007 Chevy Colorado 4cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I have a 2007 colorado w/ the new 2.9 4cyl, pretty peppy lil bastid. So im gonna be doing a 4k OCI, prefer dino since the oci is short but im open to extending it some w/ a syn. Want good protection because i drive it hard. I live in florida so its hot here mild winters 5w-30 is what warranty calls for. so shoot me some of your knowlege btw i couldnt find any UOA`s for the engine.
hornets_nest.gif

Keep the factory fill (or) change to Quaker State dino until 3K -- then Amsoil ASL 5W-30 afterwards. I just poured in some Amsoil in my Colorado 3.5 engine. Used Quaker State Synthetic prior. No consumption since the vehicle was new 26K ago. Been in three different sets of mountains every year since 2005. Both are excellent oils.

Maxlife. As soon as warranty permits, use 10w30. Actually does the owner's manual currently allow for 10w30? If so, use it. All else equal, 10w30 will have slightly better specs than 5w30. Stands to reason since it would need less VII.

Quote:

Maxlife. As soon as warranty permits, use 10w30. Actually does the owner's manual currently allow for 10w30? If so, use it. All else equal, 10w30 will have slightly better specs than 5w30. Stands to reason since it would need less VII.

the manual calls for 5w-30 and theres no ,emtion of any other grade

Now someone that reads this thread is going to think I either said a bad word or was cussing someone out; when if fact, I've actually been the victim of a confusing Amsoil product list. Perhaps I should write all the different oils on the chalkboard 1000 times until I get them memorised.
grin.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

SRB, You can also refer to any of the trailblazer Atlas/Vortec 4.2L Inline 6cyl threads. I owned one for awhile. Your Atlas 2.9L is the same engine minus 2 cyls. Nice engine BTW. Smooth, quiet, reasonably powerful, easy to work on, not so great on gasoline however. For that reason, sticking with the spec'd 5w-30 is probably best. I'd experiment with 5w-20, but that's me! I've never seen a bad Atlas/Vortec UOA. They seem to be 'easy' on oil.

Joel

Quote:

SRB, You can also refer to any of the trailblazer Atlas/Vortec 4.2L Inline 6cyl threads. I owned one for awhile. Your Atlas 2.9L is the same engine minus 2 cyls. Nice engine BTW. Smooth, quiet, reasonably powerful, easy to work on, not so great on gasoline however. For that reason, sticking with the spec'd 5w-30 is probably best. I'd experiment with 5w-20, but that's me! I've never seen a bad Atlas/Vortec UOA. They seem to be 'easy' on oil.

Joel

yea its not too bad on gas im gettin 24-26 mpg and ive got some 17" rims on it, but it had a PCM tune done to it. I think after my next change of exxon super flo (which is all i have left in my stash) ill try havoline DS 5-30 and stick with that, ive heard its on the verge a 20wt anyways, any comments or nagativities for havoline DS?
dunno.gif

Quote:

.. its not too bad on gas im gettin 24-26 mpg..

That's not too shabby for a truck, big, small or otherwise. These are nice engines. I dunno if that's an oil filter, or it's happy to see us!
08%202.9L%20I4%20LLV%20COL%20LoR2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back