Dogs Peeing
by Eddie - 10/16/19 08:07 PM
Gundry olive oil?
by Quattro Pete - 10/16/19 07:39 PM
Which Antifreeze?
by 10ecfarmer - 10/16/19 07:11 PM
06 GTO LS2 M1 0w40 3.5k Miles
by Vigg - 10/16/19 06:37 PM
How do you get next day delivery on Amazon?
by motor_oil_madman - 10/16/19 06:28 PM
Mb oil filters
by Spitter - 10/16/19 06:02 PM
Early oci on new winter beater
by Spitter - 10/16/19 05:56 PM
2019 Toyota Hybrid - 1st Oil Change
by Danno - 10/16/19 05:55 PM
2020 Corvette Track Video
by RayCJ - 10/16/19 04:56 PM
1988 Corolla, cranks, runs only with starter fluid.
by OceanRuns - 10/16/19 04:54 PM
SCRAP: METAL, precious metals, copper, brass
by 53' Stude - 10/16/19 04:48 PM
Newest Members
rodramble, kebabaluba, JimGA, brahmabull, buddylpal
69586 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
75 registered members (billt460, BEETLE, 53' Stude, Bailes1992, 10 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics296,073
Posts5,090,688
Members69,586
Most Online3,532
Jul 30th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Consumer Electronics Jump to new posts
Re: Radio skip supton 10/17/19 12:37 PM
Propagation changes with frequency; the sunspots interact with the atmosphere and frequencies can bounce off the ionosphere and be reflected back down to the earth. Where it can bounce off the ground and repeat! Then there are other modes of propagation on yet higher frequencies... I tend to view propagation as voodoo and have not looked deeply into it, but there is quite a bit there. Shortwave radio is simply known for being able to go long distances, when the conditions are right; AM band can do so but noise sources are louder and the propagation is yet different than the higher frequencies, thus making it less likely.
29 564 Read More
Vehicles Jump to new posts
Re: Mercedes, Worth It? OVERKILL 10/17/19 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

German electronics aren't inherently any better or worse than Japanese ones. Both are made to suit a price-point, in this case, that is the one of the vehicle they are fitted to. The electronics were quite good on my '01 M5 for example and I've certainly not been blown away by my experience with infotainment in Toyota vehicles despite this fabled Asian prowess smirk

There are plenty of world-class German electronics operations, like Siemens and Bosch for example.

Now that Samsung owns Harman International who is one of the predominant audio supplier to the OEMs besides Panasonic, Pioneer, Denso, Alpine and Clarion(who was recently bought out by Fareucia, a French interiors supplier) and Toyota just caved into Apple/Google/Amazon expect that to change. BlackBerry makes the RTOS that makes these all tick, although Toyota did jump on the Automotive Linux bandwagon. cool

The German and Japanese have differing theories when it comes to design - but European electronics are known to be delicate. However, Bosch and Siemens electronics on older German cars seemed to be well-built and an electrical system on a current German car should live a decently long life as long as some dingbat doesn't jumpstart the car or a rat doesn't chew out the wiring.

Siemens and Bosch aren't what they used to be. Siemens merged the automotive arm with VDO and sold it to Conti a few years later. Supposedly, it was at the urging of VW. Siemen's silicon unit was spun off as Infineon, who kinda exists - Intel and Apple bought out the wireless arm and their memory division is no more. Bosch cheaped out a little on the aftermarket side but they now do business with all the automakers. Siemens still rules in industrial automation and transport. Bosch is starting to diversify away from cars.

A little more detailed than I was going to get into, but yeah smile These companies diversify and chase profit, which often involves them divesting themselves of divisions that perhaps compete in more crowded, highly competitive spaces that makes being profitable difficult. I expect we may see a Taiwanese or Chinese takeover of a well-known brand in this segment as current trends persist. The Chinese and Indians have already acquired some prestigious marques, pursuing the suppliers for components only makes sense.
117 1,663 Read More
General and Off Topic Jump to new posts
Re: Rusty - Latex Paint Cans pandus13 10/17/19 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Also for storing paint, flip the can upside down. The paint will seal the lid and prevent air from ruining the rest of the paint. I also always have the store shake the can whenever I buy it.

^^^ This! ^^^

Also, for the posters complaining about rust flakes/paint globs, use strainer.
Also, HomeDepot/Lowes sells 2 gallon buckets with plastic lid.

(my closest Menards is 300+ miles away: their Fisher salty peanuts rocks).
13 308 Read More
Product Rebates, Sales and Promotions Jump to new posts
Re: Rotella Gas Truck- Menards silversport 10/17/19 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by benhen77
I put in one submission, Shell rebate came back $40 on Saturday. Still waiting on Menards rebate to come back.

same here...

added...just checked again and see that a check was issued the 15th of this month (this wasn't on their rebate tracking yesterday when I checked...

Bill
15 1,333 Read More
Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Vehicles Jump to new posts
Re: Mobil 1 vs RedLine - Road Trip! TenTonTongue 10/17/19 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by 330indy
Consider that Redline will be cleaning up the bits in your engine on that road trip !
You may want to go a bit shorter OCI on that Redline... at least check it for cleanliness or dirt. If it gets dirty that means it’s doing it’s job!
It cleaned up my 19 year old Z3 like crazy with an unknown OCI history
Redline is great stuff
[Linked Image]

No need to worry about that here LOL Still looking good down under

[Linked Image]
25 1,069 Read More
Re: Mobil 1 0w40 to become factory fill on Corvettes? silversport 10/17/19 12:31 PM
does it not carry the Dexos 1 Generation 2 approval so other than the high performance engines (as well as the Diesel Dexos 2 approval it does have) aren't using it?

Bill
136 41,086 Read More
Re: New Pennzoil Oils? Max power, hybrid, stop/start, and extended care? wdn 10/17/19 12:30 PM
Extended Care, but not extended oil change interval. I think Pennzoil was just looking for an excuse to use the word Extended in one of their products.
13 384 Read More
Re: Safety feature they all missed pandus13 10/17/19 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Drosselmier
I learned in a Defensive Driving course back in 1968, when entering or crossing a through street and a car is approaching from left or right with turn signal blinking, that if you did not see them start to blink, assume they have been on for several blocks. Never forgot. Good lesson. It is O K to assume in this situation.

My wife was nailed by somebody that put their signal 1/4 mile before the intersection they intended to use.

I almost got nailed by somebody that assumed my lane change was me taking a right.

Let's not forget illuminated dashboard, but NO LIGHTS ON at night!!!
26 731 Read More
Re: Looking for some type of heating plate that can reach 1000c Mad_Hatter 10/17/19 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
HELLO 911.

Right!😂..."my house is on fire" or.."little Johnny's on fire"..😂
8 311 Read More
Re: Anyone Practice Martial Arts? JLawrence08648 10/17/19 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by demarpaint
I have a 4th degree black belt in Japanese Jiu Jitsu, and studied Karate and Arnis for many years. I dabbled in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I taught Japanese Jiu Jitsu up until about 4 months ago, and will be doing it again soon, and hopefully return to Karate when my friend gets his school up and running again.

How does Japanese Jiu Jitsu differ from BJJ? I have a Brown belt in BJJ. If you lived in Tokyo, what would your equivalent belt be? I ask because I had trained with a 4th Black belt in Judo and he said in Japan he'd be a 1st degree because they are that good and that's all they do, train 7 days a week for hours.

I've done MMA for many years then of course trained in many different martial arts. I've had the opportunity to have trained with several UFC fighters. I upheld my end competing but still knew what the end result was going to be.

Judo was a killer for me. I had a difficult time handling being thrown to the mat 50-150 times a night.

Krav Maga was my favorite, also liked the boxing, and the crashing with the close quarter drills. The rolling on the mat when doing BJJ was great for flexibility and stretching my back. I found BJJ to be very peaceful, mat Judo to be brutal, fast, yanking.

BJJ and Judo on the mat are a thinking man's game, a lot of thinking, planning, anticipating, cataloging and very quick thinking through your mind's repertoire of offense and defense moves.
5 201 Read More
Re: Additional Contribution to SS Wage Base Mad_Hatter 10/17/19 12:24 PM
Your HR Dept is a better resource for getting a correct answer on this.
8 297 Read More
Oil Analysis - General Questions and Comments Jump to new posts
Re: Forgot: Which studies show the connection between wear and UOA results? bullwinkle 10/17/19 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by bulwnkl
I thought I had a couple things on point, but I don't. Point me to something?

Seems like visual inspection of motor oil & cutting open oil filters can be a better gauge of impending catastrophic engine failure than UOA, the particles seen in a UOA are microscopic, too tiny to see with the naked eye. I’ve always consider3d a UOA as more of an OIL tool than an engine tool-is the oil no longer usable, or can it keep going type of test.
2 170 Read More
Tires & Wheels Jump to new posts
Re: Continental Purecontact LS vs. Michelin Primacy MXM4 CapriRacer 10/17/19 12:22 PM
A couple of thoughts:

The tires that came OE on the subject vehicle (2015 Toyota Camry) are not likely available anymore. Michelin probably converted those to a replacement spec - meaning the replacement version will probably wear better, but give worse fuel economy.

The Conti PureContact LS's are rated 700 A A, where the Michelin Primacy MXM4 are rated ….. well ….. Tire Rack lists 2 versions in SL - both 91V but one is 500 AA and the other is 500 AA A (the AA meaning better wet traction).

First, that's a significant difference in wear rating between the brands.

Second, I am puzzled by the 2 Michelin tires - that except for the traction rating seem to be the same. It's possible that the AA rating is the Replacement version and the A traction grade is the OE (or similar) version. Please note, there is also an XL version in the Michelin MXM4 lineup that is made in Thailand also rated 500 A A.
23 404 Read More
Mechanical/Maintenance Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Motorcraft CV Joint Lube-Pak grease BEETLE 10/17/19 12:20 PM
Hello

I finally installed both inner & outer cv boot into the axle. Tested and drove on the freeway, did not notice anything. Escape drove like a champ.

My worries is. Upon taking off the drive axle out of the vehicle, I had a struggle taking it out. I loosened the 32" nut and I hit it with a hammer, maybe 15 times. So, I consulted again my trusty...Chilton's Ford Escape Repair Manual and it stated the Lower Control Arm needs to be separated from the Steering Knuckle first. After I read this, I knew a made a BIG MISTAKE!!! So, I did what Chilton's stated on the repair manual and the cv axle came off after I tapped it with a hammer.

My concern is did I made an internal damage underneath my truck on the mistake I made? I jacked up the truck & the tire seems to be spinning straight.

Thanks
5 213 Read More
Re: How do you get next day delivery on Amazon? Mad_Hatter 10/17/19 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by csandste

Amazon Prime video is nearly the equivalent of Netflix. You get a lot more than package delivery.

While the movies may not be the latest run, there's a lot of good original programming on Prime. Add to that the other benefits like free music, Audible and their free/lending library on books..it easily makes Prime a good value in my opinion.
31 466 Read More
Re: Help Pick Oil wdn 10/17/19 12:14 PM
I use the Castrol Edge EP in my Gen 1 Tundra with 157k miles on it. The truck uses no oil between oil changes.
5 100 Read More
Used Oil Analysis - Gasoline Jump to new posts
Re: 06 GTO LS2 M1 0w40 3.5k Miles toneydoc 10/17/19 12:08 PM
That report looks fine
The oil could easily go out to 5k miles and beyond
4 226 Read More
Re: Considering Solar JLawrence08648 10/17/19 12:03 PM
Solar panels will only power your house during a power failure if you have a battery backup system. The excess will still feed in to the grid.
57 1,017 Read More
Re: What Do You Do For A Living? motor_oil_madman 10/17/19 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by PW01
I’m a bartender

You must be around my age then. Most of the posters on here are older, not that there is anything wrong with that.
90 1,114 Read More
Mechanical/Maintenance Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Oil Changes and Ramps jeepman3071 10/17/19 12:00 PM
Having the car safely on ramps > getting every last drop of oil out

With the Jeep I don't even need ramps, just slide right under it. There will always be a little bit of the old oil in the engine anyway, no sense obsessing over it.
44 755 Read More
Re: Early oci on new winter beater Mad_Hatter 10/17/19 12:00 PM
If you're only keeping it around a year I'd run a dino HDEO in it for full 3~5k mile oci's. Throw some Techron or Gumout in the tank at fill ups for intake/combustion chamber deposits. Who knows, you might decide to keep it once you've rehabbed it.
8 340 Read More
Re: SCRAP: METAL, precious metals, copper, brass motor_oil_madman 10/17/19 12:00 PM
If it were me I would quit bringing it to the yards then see what happens. You know a 10 ft piece of flatbar is like $100.00 so they only paid $10 to melt that scrap metal down and make it into something else.
10 430 Read More
Tool Time Jump to new posts
Re: Need rotary hammer for chiseling tile & glued floor laminate JLawrence08648 10/17/19 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Either way, you'll have the adhesive to clean up.

I was going to put the thinset on top of the adhesive as I'm laying tile. Bad idea?
15 283 Read More
Computers Jump to new posts
Re: What's better to send in an email, attachment or link? dishdude 10/17/19 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by dishdude
Good luck finding a junkyard that is going to go out and take a look at a car for a piece of interior trim. Have you priced out a new one? Might not be that bad...or could be a small fortune.

$180 list and backordered to November.

So small fortune. November isn't far away!
28 302 Read More
Virgin Oil Analysis - PCMO/HDEO Jump to new posts
Re: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum VOA Danno 10/17/19 11:55 AM
Looks... Unremarkable.
Might be some secret sauce happening that these oil analysis tests aren't picking up.
1 365 Read More
Page 1 of 68 1 2 68
BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™