Zoom At The Top...Pike's Peak

Yeah, that is a reference to the infamous Wile E. Coyote, but seemed appropriate.

Rode to the top of Pike's Peak on the cog rail. I wanted to drive up, but wifey vetoed that idea. It was -4°F at the top with 40MPH winds and "on a clear day you can see forever"... and all of Colorado Springs.

20220416_143654.jpg

20220416_143651.jpg

20220416_111153_2.jpg

I drove up there in 2011 when my daughter was just old enough to go. Before it was all paved also. My wife hated it but it was a fun drive. Had to come back down when my daughters lips turned blue.

Definitely a place to visit.

My BIL and I drove up about 20 years ago then took the hike up to see the USGS medallion and take some pics. I dont know if it was just that day or its always windy but I felt like I could take off just by opening my jacket and spreading my arms.

We rode the cog up one day, then drove up the next. That was on June 23, 2012, and we caught the beginnings of the Waldo Canyon Fire.

Once we reached the top, we were all told to evacuate and head back down the mountain ASAP!

fire1.jpg

fire3.jpg

fire4.jpg

Drove my $50 1989 Accord up in 2005. Brakes were a bit warm on the way down as the cars in front of me were going so dang slow my low wasn’t doing much engine braking. I’ll definitely do it again if I’m back out that way.

Back