Your computers over the years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody remember Windows ME? WORST OS ever. After those days I had all my machines running Windows 2000 Pro...best OS IMHO...I still use XP at work on my desktop which is closely related.

I have started to warm up to Windows 7...but you can't beat the simple layout and functionality of Windows 2000 Pro. It was stable and fast.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Anybody remember Windows ME? WORST OS ever.

Very soon after I met my wife, she bought a Compaq with an 800 mhz AMD Duron and Windows ME. I never had a single issue with that OS. Not to say that it was good or bad, because EVERYBODY I've ever talked to had problems with ME. Thankfully, I didn't.

My history is as follows:

~1991 - 40 MHz AMD Am386DX-40 home build. This was done by a friend's dad who ran a small PC parts business from his basement.

~1995 - 133 MHz AMD Am5x86-133. Upgraded the above machine. I'm sure it was a new mobo, but I remember him using riser cards so the old RAM could be reused and more added. This was built so that we could run Windows 95. It was also my first PC to have a modem, a 14.4k unit, and a CD ROM drive.

~1997 - Compaq 266 MHz Pentium with MMX. This was given on a long term loan from a friend who was going through a divorce. Her brother worked for Compaq and gave her the PC. She didn't want her ex to find out so he wouldn't try to take it. I had it for a whole year. I was geeked because it could play Need for Speed!

~1999 - Compaq 450 MHz AMD K6-2. This was the first PC I bought by myself, for myself. Windows 98, a 56k modem, and eventually, a CD-R drive.

~2001 - Compaq 800 MHz AMD Duron. The wife's computer I mentioned above. We were dating at the time and it lasted us through the first year of marriage.

~2004-2008 - A home build using various AMD processors. It started with an inexpensive Socket 754 and an Athlon 64 2800+ Clawhammer and an Nvidia FX5200. I then picked up a Socket 939 board and filled it with an Athlon 64 3500+ San Diego. I finished with an Ahtlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo that I got cheap on eBay. Ended up selling it for twice what I paid after AMD went to Socket AM2. Sometime along I also upgraded to 8800GT. This was the first PC I owned with XP.

2008 - Ditched AMD and joined the Intel camp. Fresh build with a C2Q Q6600.

2010 - New build with a Core i5 750. Also upped to a GTX260. This PC eventually became my home threater PC after a change from the GTX260 to a GT430. I actually just sold this PC a few weeks ago to a co-worker.

2011 - Another new build with a Core i7 2600k. It's well spec'd but is pretty much used only when the horsepower is needed (encoding, heavy video work, heavy photography work, and gaming). The GTX260 is in this machine now.

2011 - Mac Mini i5. Initially bought to replace the HTPC I sold, I ended up being intrigued by OS X enough that I started using it as my primary PC.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
In a somewhat odd order:

-Mac PLUS
-Other Mac's (one with a portrait screen)
-Hewitt Rand 8088 (first PC, still have it) 640K of RAM and a 20MB hard drive, YEAH BABY! Used "software overclocking" to bump it to 12Mhz.
-IBM 386 33Mhz of raw power
-IBM "Imagination Station" 486SX/25. Eventually got the Overdrive (had the math copro socket) for it, 48MB of RAM, 1.6GB WD hard drive (upgraded obviously) Cirrus Logic on-board graphics and a 14" monitor. I installed NT5 on it (before it became Win2K).
-Texas Instruments SX/25 Notebook. Came with 4MB of RAM. Bough the "push in chips" memory upgrade to bump it up to 6MB! Had a 120MB hard drive. This was my first "laptop".
-Toshiba Satellite 330CDT Notebook. Pentiumm 266, upgraded to 96MB of RAM, 4GB Hard Drive and one of the first TFT displays. This was 1998.
-PII 450 on an ASUS board
-PIII 666 (7) on an ABIT board
-PIII 800 (slot 1) on an ABIT board, BX Chipset, GeForce 2 GTS Pro video, 768MB of RAM.
-P4 1.6Ghz (A) on an ABIT TH7II-RAID
-P4 2.4Ghz on the same board
-Mac Powerbook G3
-P4 3.0Ghz on an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe (overclocking fun with this one)
-P4 "Dual core" at 3.2Ghz, ASUS board
-Core2Quad Q6600 on an ASUS Maximus Formula, flashed to a Rampage Formula. This one was run at 3.6Ghz. 8GB of RAM, ASUS NVidia 8800GTS video
-Core i5 750 @ 4Ghz on water. 8GB of RAM, RAID 10, ASUS P7P55D-E, ASUS Radeon 5870. (Current rig)
-IBM ThinkPad T-42P
-ASUS A7S 17" Notebook
-HP DV-series 15.4" (CoreDuo)

That's it?
wink.gif

Timex-Sinclair
Coleco Adam
Kaypro (8088 + 8089 co-processor?)
386 (Microtime?, someplace out of Ohio, I think)
486 (some local computer store, I remember the guy was a bit grumpy)
now... a few HP Pentiums of various vintages

How's that for a mixed-bag?

I still find it amusing that I probably have more computing power in our little "computer room" than was on the face of the earth when I was born!

-IBM PCjr, 8088, with 128K side card add-in memory. Woo-hoo!!!
-286/10SX 1MB RAM
-IBM PS/1 (all in one unit) 286/12 2.5MB RAM, Mono VGA, played Castle Wolfenstein many late nights on this one!
-Compaq Deskpro 386/SX25 6MB RAM, (a true tank! Dual boot DOS/Win3.1 and OS/2 2.1)
-386/DX40 AMD
-Cyrix 486/33 8MB RAM (ran OS/2 Warp 3.0 on it)
-AMD 585/133 8MB RAM
-AMD 486/DX 120 (I think this one had OS/2 Warp 3 on it)
-AMD Thunderbird 1.1 CPU (Windows 98/BeOS)
-Dell Dimension 400mhz (don't remember model #, circa '98)
-Dell Optiplex GXxxx something, P166, low profile, had Windows 2000 Server on it)
-Intel P4 2.4, 512MB RAM, wife's PC. This died, replaced with P4 2.8 m/b & CPU
-MacBook Pro, 1.0 Ghz, 1GB RAM 2003
-HP Pavilion laptop zv6000, AMD 3500+ CPU 2GB RAM, great as a a room heater, runs Linux Mint 11 A-OK though.
-HP m9150f, Q6600 CPU 8GB RAM, (wife's PC, Vista upgraded to Win7*)
-AMD 5200 Dual-Core clone PC, 8GB RAM, for file serving/saving and person stuff (absolutely NO work stuff on this one)
-Intel i3 PC,8GB RAM for the kids
-Intel Q9400, 8GB RAM, 2 large hard disks, as my VMWare/Hyper-V lab unit to learn on.
-Dell 1720 Inspiron Laptop, Intel T7700 CPU, 6GB RAM. A really nice unit.
-MacBook, 2.2GHZ Intel Core2, 4GB RAM, late 2008
-HP Touchpad, once tweaked to get rid of the slowdowns, it's a fantastic unit.

*DO NOT, EVER, NEVER perform an in place upgrade from Vista to Win7 for the wife. Always install a clean OS, then migrate settings using any tool out there. Reason: UAC can't be used as the upgrade borked the permissions somewhere. I ran into this at work, too one time. A clean installation is a happy installation.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn

-
-HP Touchpad, once tweaked to get rid of the slowdowns, it's a fantastic unit.

I'm going to have to ask you about this if I get my hands on one. they are building some more and I'm on their list.
wink.gif

Got a 386 of some varation that was promptly upgraded to 486 via an AMD chip. Also had maxed out ram. No idea what that wouldve been since I didnt know anything about computers at the time.
I do remember it had an 800MB hdd.
Got a Compaq desktop a little bit later with a 200MHz K6. 32MB RAM, 2GB HD
Then I put together my first machine. Im pretty uncertain what it was. I have a sticker in the original case to a DFI Socket 370 board, but I think I had trouble with that board so we took it back and got a DFI Socket A board and a 1GHz Duron. Got the original retail WinXP Home release at that time. 40GB WD HD, I think.
Then I built a Athlon XP Throughbred 2400+ machine on an ECS K7S5A. WXP-H
Dell Latitude C610 Laptop. 1GHz Pentium III, 1GB ram. 80GB HD.
Windows 2000 at first then Gentoo Linux.
Athlon XP Barton 3000+ on a Soyo KT880 board. 2GB DDR400, 250GB Seagate 7200.8, ATi Radeon 9800Pro. WXP-H
Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Black (Windsor) on a Gigabyte board. 4GB DDR800, 4x 500GB Seagate 7200.11 RAID 5, ATi Radeon HD3870 Vista Ultimate
Pentium 4 HT 3.2GHz, Biostar P4M900-M4, 2GB DDR2-667, 250GB Seagate 7200.8, 500GB Seagate 7200.11, GeForce 8500GT then 9800GT. (yes, I went backwards) WXP-H then Se7en Beta.
Current; Core i7 920@4GHz on a Gigabyte X58-UD5, 6GB DDR3-1600, Crucial M225 64GB, 4x Samsung F3R 1TB RAID 5, AMD Radeon 6950@6970.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win
1984 ish a TRS 80 Model IV, Z80 cpu, 128K RAM, dual disk drives, and a 5MB winchester hard drive. Still have this guy, also.

I still have a Model IV on the shelf somewhere here. I didn't have a hard drive, since I wasn't rich.
wink.gif

I do have an Amiga 500 hanging around, too.

Originally Posted By: Garak
1984 ish a TRS 80 Model IV, Z80 cpu, 128K RAM, dual disk drives, and a 5MB winchester hard drive. Still have this guy, also.

I still have a Model IV on the shelf somewhere here. I didn't have a hard drive, since I wasn't rich.
wink.gif

I do have an Amiga 500 hanging around, too.

Yep, that was my first business computer, and that hard drive was a pricy devil - about $1200, IIRC, and that was a good chunk of money back then. It used L-DOS to mount the drive and it had to be partitioned into five (5) 1MB partitions. Also had a "letter quality" dot matrix printer that used 36 pins that cost as much or more than the hard drive.

Forgot that I slso had a Radio Shack Model 12 that harnessed the multitasking power (LOL) of the 80286 and had a bunch of terminals connected up to it. Seems like that ran XENIX.

PC's are just a commodity now, but back in the early days there was some interesting stuff out there.

edit: the early stuff was very well built and had a lot more usable lifespan than today's generic PC stuff. That model IV stayed in service in my personal office until 1993 or 1994 and still worked just fine for basic tasks like word processing.

Most of the stuff nowadays is junk after a few years, so even though it's cheap, it's not a very good value.

Last edited:
Can't remember the exact specs of all the computers I had in the past but I'll try. I've only really built one computer myself which I'm currently using and the rest were bought.

1995: Some Apple II series computer a neighbor gave me. This was really the first computer I had in the house.

1996: The first computer my family bought. Apple Macintosh Performa 6200CD, PowerPC 603 75mhz processor, 8mb memory, 4x cd rom.

1999: My first PC computer bought from a local computer store which was custom built to order. Pentium III 550mhz, 256mb memory, TNT2 video card, Windows 98.

2003: 2nd PC computer bought from the same local computer store also custom built to order. AMD Athlon XP2600, 512mb memory, ATI Radeon (forget which model), dvd rom drive, Windows XP.

2009: Currently using this computer. My first computer I built myself. AMD Phenom 9600 2.3ghz, 4gb ram, Hitachi hard drive, Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX, Windows 7.

Dang, for such a young guy you've gone through a lot of computers! I used to be the same way with bikes.

I've only had one desktop, a 2003 Dell Dimension 8300 P4 2.4GHz with 40GB HD (added a second 160GB HD, and then a 500GB HD after failure of the original) and 512MB of RAM (upgraded to 4.5GB).

I also have a Toshiba Laptop from 2006 that I use maybe a couple days a month when I'm out of town. I think it's a 1.2GHz Celeron with 60GB HD and 512MB of RAM (upgraded to 2GB).

Before 2003, I only used school and work computers.

1998 or 1999: Dad bought us a computer from a catalogue. Intel Pentium II with 128 mb RAM and a 2 GB HD. 19" tube monitor and I remember my dad saying the Epson printer costed him several hundred dollars.

2002: The first computer became slower than a snail. Off to Best Buy to get a VPR Matrix (BB's house brand at the time). Pentium 4 processor and I think the HD was 60 or 80 GB. I think it was advertised as having server grade components. It lasted until last year when components failed left and right.

2004: Got my first laptop. A Toshiba M35 something. Intel Pentium 4. The power plug connector broke from the MB and it needed to have something hold it in place to charge. Died in 2007.

2007: $348 Walmart special Acer laptop with a Celeron that I changed out for a C2D. Swapped out the HD for 320 GB and 3GB RAM. Installed W7. Broke the screen December of last year, but it still runs.

2011: 13" Apple Macbook Pro 2010 revision. Got it refurbished and it had a bad MB that was swapped out under warranty. 2.4 GHZ Intel C2D with integrated Nvidia graphics and a 250 GB HD. Just recently upgraded the RAM to 8GB. Hope this one lasts a while because I don't see it exceeding my needs anytime soon.

Most of the stuff nowadays is junk after a few years, so even though it's cheap, it's not a very good value.

The old Model IV is still in working condition, assuming that the disks haven't been completely corrupted by sitting idle for over 22 years. The Amiga definitely works, but the monitor's power switch is shot.

Originally Posted By: Garak

The old Model IV is still in working condition, assuming that the disks haven't been completely corrupted by sitting idle for over 22 years. The Amiga definitely works, but the monitor's power switch is shot.

I have an L-DOS startup disk here in my desk - the date on it is 4/23/84, so I guess that's when I got my Model IV. Also have a couple of SuperScripsit word processing disks. Thought I had a TRS-DOS disk, but can't seem to find it.

I'll bite.

I won't list all the computers I bought strictly for resale like all the Power Mac 4400's I shipped overseas or the iMacs I got on eBay for 5-10 bucks apiece and sold on Craigslist for $50-$100 each. Just my primary and in some cases secondary machines.

First computer: Macintosh Plus with 1MB of RAM, purchased for $350 from a computer rental store in Indianapolis, fall 1990. My parents drove me down there to pick it up and couldn't believe I was buying a computer without a hard drive. I had 2 10-count packages of 800K floppy disks and that held every program and file I needed. System 6, no Multifinder. Picked up a StyleWriter printer for $99 used from the Indy Greensheet. Kept the printer when I traded the Plus in to Sun Remarketing in spring 1992 for $125 towards my...

Second computer: Macintosh SE with 2.5MB of RAM, 1 800K floppy drive, and 1 20MB hard drive. No more continuously switching floppy disks to load Word 5.1 and various documents. And Multifinder was the bees knees. If I remember right I paid $549 for it and free shipping and they had me send the Plus back in the same box at no charge to me. This was the machine I learned HyperCard on. Killed the print head on my Stylewriter printing cool gradient designs for my school binders. Picked up a StyleWriter II and then traded the SE in to Sun for $150 credit on my first color Mac in late 1993...

Third computer: Macintosh IIx with 5MB of RAM, 1 SuperDrive, a 40MB hard drive, and a 12" RGB display in a combo for $599. This was cool. I had color. I had System 7. Couldn't print in color, but I could save to a floppy, take it up to the high school, and print out color flyers and all sorts of goodies. Learned Excel and more Word functions and PhotoShop and MIDI music and all sorts of fun. Then sold it to a friend for $400 to help finance the purchase of a longer-term computer, brand new for once in late 1994...

Fourth computer, first NEW computer: Macintosh LC III with 4MB of RAM, 160MB hard drive, and a 14" Basic Color Display in a combo for $999. I kept this for five years, man. This was sweet. First computer I ever got on the internet with. GlobalVillage 14.4 modem and it flew on eBay and in Hotmail. Loved this machine and it was the first computer I actually upgraded myself in 1997, with an 8MB RAM stick giving me 12MB. I had the upgrade bug. Wanted more. But dealt with the LCIII and its 68030 at 25MHz. Thought IIci speed was all I needed for awhile. I sold this for about $80 (box only, kept the keyboard, mouse, display, and my trusty StyleWriter II) on eBay in 1999 but a year before I picked up...

Fifth computer: Macintosh Quadra 610, 68040 power with 36MB of RAM and a 250MB hard drive. Bought it used on eBay for about $90 sometime in 1998 and this became my primary and I left the LCIII at my parents house when I moved in with my girlfriend. Used it with a VGA adapter and an HP 15" CRT. I spent about $1000 and made about $3000 that year flipping older Macs on eBay by using this machine to bid, buy, list, and sell. I took this to Texas in 2000 along with my Duo (#6 below) and had it through late 2002:

Sixth computer, first laptop: Macintosh Duo 280c, a color laptop, if I remember right it was spec'd like my LCIII, 12MB RAM and 160MB HD, and I had no docking station, used it mobile only. This was a $120 used computer from eBay. I bought this in early 2000 right before I moved and kept it through 2005 when my new wife got out of bed in the middle of the night and stepped on it. It wasn't her fault, I forgot to slide it under the bed after I finished playing (erm...losing my initial paid credit of $20.00) on BingoRoom. I did sell $100 worth of parts from this on eBay after I trashed the destroyed LCD and case and keyboard.

Seventh computer: Power Macintosh 6500/225 for $60 on Craigslist in early 2004. This had 96MB of RAM and a 4GB hard drive. This replaced the Quadra 610 (I got maybe $30 for it on eBay with no HD) in late 2002 and was my primary computer for about 3 years. Of course the wife stepping on my laptop and the fact that this thing HATED plugging into a Linksys router combined to give me the idea to replace the machine with something more modern. This was the last computer I had on System 8, too, it was time to move to OS 9, everyone else was on OS X and I was usually a generation behind so being two generations back wasn't fun.

Eighth computer: iMac DV SE, bought in late 2005 for $225 and doubled my memory (192MB) and tripled my hard drive space (13GB). Also worked really well with a cheap little USB wireless dongle thingie. Hated the round mouse, loved the keyboard. System 9.0.4 was all I had but it was great. Slot loading CD worked OK for me. If it wasn't for the next awesome deal, I would have kept this for a couple years, but it lasted with me for six months and sold for $150 when I found...

Ninth computer: Power Mac G4/400 "Sawtooth", bought for $60 on Craigslist in summer 2006 and included a 17" Studio display in matching graphite, Pro keyboard and mouse (so much better than the round iMac mouse), and this had 768MB of RAM and a 40GB hard drive. This was already loaded with 10.2.8 Jaguar and 9.2.2 as Classic. Had PhotoShop and Premiere and all sorts of stuff the previous owner left behind and I had this for a little over year. I sold it for the same $60 and picked up for free:

Tenth computer, secondary system for my desk: Power Mac G3/400, with 256MB of RAM, 10.2.8/9.2.2, and a 10GB hard drive. This was my backup machine as I prepared to migrate to PC. This happened at the same time that...

Eleventh computer, second laptop, bought NEW: Gateway ML6230 laptop with a 1.5GHz Celeron, 512MB of RAM, Vista Home Basic, and an 80GB hard drive. My wife had one as well, these were $349 Best Buy specials in October 2007 and we decided to get them. I was able to burn CD's on the Power Mac and move all my files to the laptop. Then I sold the G3/400 for $40 in a garage sale and had only the laptop by June 2008 when we moved to Malone, TX.

Twelfth computer, primary: used eMachines eTower 600i, Celeron 600MHz and a real pile. I bought this in a package deal with a computer for my wife and used it because the kids destroyed both our laptops over time. I was sick of pressing membranes instead of keys. This computer had XP Pro on it but it was a dog with 256MB of RAM and a 10GB hard drive. It didn't last long before I got a PIF deal from a friend on Gen[M]ay...

Thirteetnth computer, primary at first, still own as a Linux toy: Dell GX260 with P4 1.8GHz, 2GB of RAM, and 20GB hard drive. Originally had Windows 2000 SP4 on it and I learned a lot making this run on our home network. Then I dropped Puppy Linux on it and finally Ubuntu 10.4 where it sits now. This was given to me for free with two more GX260's (with less RAM) that I gave to the kids to play with (and eventually destroy, but I still have the one nice one). All I paid was $60 shipping and the parts from the other two revived several other machines for people in town who also had old Dells. So the PIF continued on...and I needed a new computer...

Fourteenth computer, primary at first, now my 10-year old's computer: eMachines EL1200-06w, purchased six months old in summer 2009 for $235 on eBay from a girl who loaded it up with enough viruses and spyware to where it wouldn't boot past the Windows XP Home splash screen. Included a 19" LCD display, keyboard, mouse, and webcam, also was in the original box and had restore discs. So I knew what I had to do. Wiped it, restored it, put on stuff to keep it from happening again. The single core Athlon 2650e was a dog. I upgraded the memory from 1GB to 3GB right away and used it like that for a couple months. Then I got computer #15 and gave it to the kids and discovered it could take a dual core Athlon. So I picked up a 4450B for $25 on eBay and it flew. Still a viable machine, still in use daily as is, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Very reliable machine and I'm very happy with it. So are my kids.

Fifteenth computer: Acer Aspire something, I only had it for a week, but basically I got it in fall 2009 from a police auction for $200 and I never used it, just restored Vista Premium on it then traded it to my babysitter for an eMachines laptop (with Vista Home Basic) which I gave to my now 12 year old daughter. She doesn't use it and it collects dust, but I've rebuilt it twice (kids yanking keys off the keyboard, power plug coming loose), upgraded it from 1GB RAM to 3GB RAM, and loaded Ubuntu 10.10 on for faster running. It's actually a decent laptop and would much better with a dual core processor but since the kids tore off half the keys again I don't feel like putting money into the machine anymore.

Sixteenth computer: Acer Extenza 5230E, bought new from Best Buy for $249 on Black Friday 2009, the first and LAST time I will EVER attend something like that, and it was worth it. This laptop had a 2.2GHZ Celeron single-core CPU and 2GB of RAM at the start, and it really was a dog. However, upgraded with $50 for 4GB of RAM and $41 on eBay for a T4300 dual core CPU, it is peppy, clean, easy to use, still my primary laptop and will be for 3-4 more years if I can help it. I'm absolutely impressed with its performance, the fact that the WHOLE bottom cover comes off and you can access everything, the hard drive, the CPU, the heatsink, the GPU, memory, everything. A lot of laptops these days have small covers for only memory and hard drive, if that. I like being able to re-apply Silver 5 to the CPU when temps start going above 45C regularly. I like being able to clean the dust out without taking the whole thing apart. I like removing and cleaning the heatsink and fan. Makes it easy to "rebuild" per se. I could gain a bit of speed moving to a T4500 CPU and PC2-6400 memory (from PC2-5300) but it's really fine as-is. I used this as a DESKTOP machine for the first 13 months sitting in the keyboard tray of my desk, with a USB hub, mouse, keyboard, speaker system, 23.6" ASUS LCD, webcam, and mic plugged in to it. It ran as fast as a 2009-era desktop so I treated it like one. It still holds its own against modern laptops with P6x00 processors. i3's are a tad faster but I'm not complaining. The Intel HD Graphics are fine for watching movies or playing 2005-2008 era games. I play GTA San Andreas on this and it's plenty fast. It'll take a serious machine to make me give this 5230E up. Maybe one of those metal-cased Dell Latitude E6410's with an i7 CPU and an nVidia discrete graphics card like my wife has now. Or the newer ones with Sandy Bridge CPU's. But I don't need the extra speed when I'm mobile, just love plugging this into 32" TV's in hotel rooms and doing what I need to on the bed.

Seventeenth computer, primary now, bought fall 2010 from CedarPC: Dell Inspiron 570, Athlon II X4 630, 6GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, DVD burner, Windows 7, and cost me all of $280 plus $32 shipping. I made two quick upgrades to turn this into a nice powerhouse. The first thing I did, as soon as I took it out of the box, was pull the sad 300-watt stock power supply and replace it with a 700-watt one. Then, after I saved up the $100 needed to do so, I installed an HD5770 video card from HIS. This allows me to play GTA IV in high detail in 1920x1080 at 30-40fps, super playable, super fast, super fun. I run two displays on this, one 23.6" ASUS LCD and one 21.5" Samsung LCD, both 1920x1080, both through DVI, and it's a multitasking beast for work. I make a solid $1200-1500 a week working from home with this machine these days. About triple what I was earning with one monitor. I can do so much more with two monitors that it makes me want to pick up another Samsung 21.5" display and a DisplayPort adapter to run THREE monitors. It might have diminishing returns but have you ever used 3 monitors? I couldn't believe the difference between one and two, the difference between two and three has to be worth it! I feel I may want to upgrade this in 2012 sometime. I can't go much more on the CPU, this motherboard doesn't support the Phenom X6 chips. But I might go with a Phenom II X4 940 as it's supported. If that doesn't give enough boost, I may go ahead and buy another copy of Windows 7 and get a different motherboard, probably Sandy Bridge, P67, with the i7-2600K CPU. My wife would be upset that my computer is faster than her i7-950, but she spends THOUSANDS on her system and I spend HUNDREDS on mine so if I can make mine faster on short money than who's to blame, right?

So that's where I'm at.

I have an L-DOS startup disk here in my desk - the date on it is 4/23/84, so I guess that's when I got my Model IV. Also have a couple of SuperScripsit word processing disks. Thought I had a TRS-DOS disk, but can't seem to find it.

I have TRS-DOS, and also got LS-DOS when Radio Shack started to abandon the Model IV. I used Scripsit and then SuperScripsit. SuperScripsit was actually a great word processor. Scripsit would grumble if the document got to the limits of memory (which was easy), whereas SuperScripsit kept some chunks in memory and some on disk, so one had greater freedom. It also did a very fine job of proportional spacing based right justification - actually amazing given the era, and it took a lot of years for other products to catch up.

The DMP-110 wasn't the quickest printer, but it did the job.

I tend to buy computers and run them into the ground like I do with cars.

In 1996, my first PC was an IBM aptiva for $2k. It was a Pentium I 100 mhz processor 8 mb ram. slow as molasses, but I was 19 at the time and I needed one for college. dial up was the mode for the internet.

Computers were being built cheaper and faster. In 1999, I upgraded and bought a refurbished sony vaio Pentium II 450 mhz processor and 256 mb ram for around 900 bucks. it served me well.

around 2002, my girlfriend now wife bought a sony vaio P4 2.0 ghz 1 gb ram Windows XP PC. It came with ethernet and she got comcast broadband. goodbye AOL!! I was in heaven. At the time, she also had a sony vaio Pentium II 333 mhz 256 mb ram she was upgrading from.

so basically my wife and I shared this sony vaio P4 until around 2008. My in laws upgraded their PCs, let me have their sony vaio P4 3.0 ghz 2gb ram pc. we still use it today. Since I didn't want us fighting over one computer, I picked up a compaq presario 3.0 ghz celcerion 2 gb ram pc from ebay for almost $200. I'm convinced now not to pay crazy prices for computers anymore. there are so many and they depreciate like a rock. I think back in the 90's and how I spent $3k in two computers that were slow like a rock. no more I say!

but we recently picked up a 2.2 core2duo 4gb ram HP business laptop for $154 on ebay. awesome find. so we have three computers for two of us. 4th one is my work laptop that is unusuable for internet now, my company will not upgrade the IE browser for security reasons. still has IE 5 on it.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
my company will not upgrade the IE browser for security reasons. still has IE 5 on it.

Are you even allowed to browse the Internet? Just having a computer with IE5 on it that touches the Internet is a huge security hole! A modern browser can only improve security.

Whew, I can't be near as specific as a lot of you but here goes.

Apple IIe
Apple IIgs
Wintel 286 from Northgate
about 10-15 self made units starting with 386's all the way up to Core I7
Current Dell Core I7 and an Apple Mac Pro with Xeon processor

I'm surprised no one had a really old machine, like a SWTPC, MITS, or an Altair. Seems like the Altair used an 8080.

Or a Commodore PET or even a Vic-20 or C64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back