You guys w/older, out of warranty, GDI/TGDI a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you decided to go w/a (slightly) thicker viscosity oil than your manufacturer recommends? I have bought 10w30 full syn MaxLife for the low Noack value and for oil usage in my Lexus IS DI w/ 165K. Its usually around 2 qts low after 2000 miles and there's been some fuel dilution from 2-4%.

I'd run a UOA and see what your engine seems to prefer. Make sure it has an accurate fuel dilution number. (Not blackstone).

That said stepping up a grade won't hurt any engine IMO if you want to do something without a UOA.

I'm running 5w30 in my TGDI specked for 0w20 being in warranty (results are confirmed with several UOAs)

My 2017 VW All Track with the 1.8 L DI engine specs a 5W-40 oil. Runs great. Just did a 320 mile trip yesterday (95% hiway, 5% city and got 32 mpg at the fill up this AM. I change every 5000 miles and never see the leve on the dip stick change at all.

Have a number of HyunKia cars in extended family. Had to yell at the service rep (phone) at a Wally World because she was refusing to put 5-30 into my daughter's '16 Accent because the oil cap/their computer said 5-20. Since they have no printer, had to copy the .pdf from the owner's manual and print it out for future use. It clearly shows 5w30 as allowable.

BTW-- I told service writer not to give me any guff because I knew more about oil than everyone working at Walmart COMBINED. Whether that's this store or every Walmart every where I didn't take time to compute.

I ran 5w-20 in both cars once only and then after switching to 5w-30 never went back. Cars were purchased brand new.
They had mostly PP 5w-30 and one OCI last summer was 0w-40 Castrol, Forte is on HM oil now, mostly Valvoline HM semi-syn and SuperTech HM full-syn. Sportage will be going with VWB in future (it's actually a semi-syn oil).

smart move!! in the heat a 10-30 is better than a 5-30 + a lot better than any XX-20 oil of the same class. of course all real synthetic PAO + or Ester is best but prolly overkill + costly as well

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
smart move!! in the heat a 10-30 is better than a 5-30 + a lot better than any XX-20 oil of the same class. of course all real synthetic PAO + or Ester is best but prolly overkill + costly as well

Probably makes little difference but 5-30 is roughly half group 3 and 10-30 isn't (conventional).

Unless it's Mobil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
Have a number of HyunKia cars in extended family. Had to yell at the service rep (phone) at a Wally World because she was refusing to put 5-30 into my daughter's '16 Accent because the oil cap/their computer said 5-20. Since they have no printer, had to copy the .pdf from the owner's manual and print it out for future use. It clearly shows 5w30 as allowable.

BTW-- I told service writer not to give me any guff because I knew more about oil than everyone working at Walmart COMBINED. Whether that's this store or every Walmart every where I didn't take time to compute.

If she takes the car to the dealer, most of them dump 5w30 semi syn into EVERYTHING.

I have not seen 5w20 at my hyundai dealer.

My oil change is 24 dollars every time, can't beat it.

Geez, and people rag on Jiffy Lube. My local JL lets me bring my own oil and filter, and if I wanted their Pennzoil 20W-50 in my engine, they would do it.........

Originally Posted by parshisa
I'm running 5w30 in my TGDI specked for 0w20 being in warranty (results are confirmed with several UOAs)

Honda 1.5LT?

Yep -BITOG University.

We all know everything is 100% accurate on here......

Last edited:
I have used 5w30 pup for my 06 IS350 since I got it. Luckily it doesnt burn as much oil as others say they do. Mine starts to drop on the dipstick right around 4k it landed a bit over the half mark last time I checked before I changed the oil now im going to 5k. It has 108k rn.

Last edited:
Also all those 3.5L or 2.5L v6 IS engines use 5w30 or 10w30 if you dont have 5w30, but the manual says to switch back to 5w30 the next time so I wouldnt say there is a problem unless temps drop. The dealers use 5w20 now or 0w20 for some reason probably because of the tsb and "better" mpgs over protection even though the newer and older engines are basically the same design
21.gif

Try 10w30 and see how your consumption goes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back