You ever spray paint inside the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spray can says to spray only above 60F but it won't get above 40 for a few days. Need to do a set of wheel covers. Will have to do it down in the basement. Quickly and holding my breath as long as possible. Any other options?

Wear a respirator or dust mask? I spray painted my Sienna door handle inside during the winter. Get lots of drop cloths or cardboard.

What about going to an underground garage to get this done? Get on the lowest level you can. It should be warmer than 40 degrees inside.

What about quickly painting outside and then 'immediatly' bringing the Wheel Covers inside ?

If you paint in the basement, make some type of spray-booth out of cardboard and use plenty of 'plastic' drop-cloths.

Last time I spray painted in the basement, it gave my Furnace a yellow flame (should be blue).
A few days later, the fumes dissipated and flame returned to blue.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
What about quickly painting outside and then 'immediatly' bringing the Wheel Covers inside ?

Spraying 2-3 coats of paint and then another of clear would be pain for just one let alone four.

How does a respirator mask work? Aren't you breathing in the same air you just exhaled if that thing is over your face? Or is there a mouthpiece you suck on when exhaling?

Originally Posted by atikovi
How does a respirator mask work? Aren't you breathing in the same air you just exhaled if that thing is over your face? Or is there a mouthpiece you suck on when exhaling?

No, there is a one-way valve in the face piece that allows you to exhale. Any incoming air passes through the absorbent material in the canisters.

You 100% without a doubt need a respirator. They're like $15-20 online or at Home Depot. And prepare for the whole house to smell like paint for several days. There's no possible way to keep the smell contained to just the basement. I only say this because if you live with other people, they WILL complain.
smile.gif

I would never spray aerosol paint inside the house. We don't have a basement, but it sounds like the perfect way to see your name on a darwin awards website. Much like driving with your eyes closed, it only takes once to realize what a bad idea it was.

do you have a shop vac. Make spray booth out of box. Hose in back to shop vac sitting outside.

Wear respirator. Harbor freight sells pretty decent one for $30 ish with coupon.

Rod

I've sprayed a few things outdoors, then brought inside where it was warmer. Rarely though. IMO I'm not interested in any amount of financial gain that requires me to smell spraypaint for days on end.

If you have a garage then try it out there. Otherwise... wait for spring or the next warm day. Or maybe you have a friend's garage (or house or basement) that you could do this in?

You can bring everything outside for a few minutes just to spray paint it (so your paint and objects to be painted are warm enough). That's only part of the problem. The off gassing from the painted objects will still stink up your basement. Now if your basement is big enough, and the objects are small enough, sure.

Can you create a spray space in the bathroom? You could turn on the vent fan.

Probably not. The spray mist would likely get everywhere.

I've sprayed on SprayMax 2K clear in the garage a while ago. Not ideal, certainly won't do it again without some kind of forced air(isocyanates). Maybe next time when I get my scuba certification, I'll wear a pony bottle and my regs since I have a feeling I need to restore my headlights in the spring.

The problem with consumer level aerosols is all the overspray and they have a sucky transfer ratio compared to a real spray gun. The SprayMax and U-Pol aerosols due to a spray gun-like fan tip and higher pressurization spray almost like an HVLP spray gun.

Rust-Oleum is now coming out with their "turbo" spray can which promises spray gun like results but the can looks unwieldy. I saw one at Home Depot filled with Zinsser primer. https://www.rustoleum.com/pages/turbo-spray

Last edited:
You'll still get a few warm days. You'll just need to wait. Remember a few weeks ago when it was 75?

Originally Posted by nthach
I've sprayed on SprayMax 2K clear in the garage a while ago. Not ideal, certainly won't do it again without some kind of forced air(isocyanates). Maybe next time when I get my scuba certification, I'll wear a pony bottle and my regs since I have a feeling I need to restore my headlights in the spring.

The problem with consumer level aerosols is all the overspray and they have a sucky transfer ratio compared to a real spray gun. The SprayMax and U-Pol aerosols due to a spray gun-like fan tip and higher pressurization spray almost like an HVLP spray gun.

Rust-Oleum is now coming out with their "turbo" spray can which promises spray gun like results but the can looks unwieldy. I saw one at Home Depot filled with Zinsser primer. https://www.rustoleum.com/pages/turbo-spray
So did I, it stunk the house up a lot more than a normal rattle can. Deffo get a real respirator, I had a P100 and I might as well have not been wearing a mask.

My dad uses rattle cans in the basement sometimes, it's not so bad if you turn every fan on in the house. I would still paint in the highest washroom with a fan I could, or under the range hood.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Spray can says to spray only above 60F but it won't get above 40 for a few days. Need to do a set of wheel covers. Will have to do it down in the basement. Quickly and holding my breath as long as possible. Any other options?

With wife home - no.

Your high tomorrow is going to be 54°. Do you think that would be close enough if you get into a sunny area. It will also be 54° in your area next Wednesday.

Can't wait around for the weather to change. Ordered a respirator for next time. Sprayed these 2 today. The one on the left with cans of paint and clear that were probably 10 years old. Turned out bad with lots of orange peel. Will have to redo. The one on the right came out acceptable with a new can of Duplicolor wheel paint. Not sure I even need to clear it.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

No, not in house … I have heated up the garage and then turned the heater off to spray small parts …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back