XM Radio

I like XM radio. It makes long drives bearable, like you never left home. There are a few channels that feel like old friends, the rest not so much. Seems like most new vehicles come with this option standard.

Do you have a subscription? Do you like it?

I'm really considering getting a subscription. When I was a porter at a VW dealership and had to pick up vehicles I listed to it extensively. The electronic station and rock station are awesome. I've found several artists that the fm stations never played.

Originally Posted by Passport1
I like XM radio. It makes long drives bearable, like you never left home. There are a few channels that feel like old friends, the rest not so much. Seems like most new vehicles come with this option standard.

Do you have a subscription? Do you like it?

Free this week. Tune in now.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
I'm really considering getting a subscription. When I was a porter at a VW dealership and had to pick up vehicles I listed to it extensively. The electronic station and rock station are awesome. I've found several artists that the fm stations never played.

Well that's great but wait until the day you try to cancel the subscription. Every time I got some on on the phone Oh I can't do that then they would hang up on you. After the 5th time I quickly said wait bring you manager on the line. Click hung up on me again. Finally after about six more calls someone put their manager on the line. He said oh we can do that. I explained to him my Credit card number had changed and I wasn't giving them the new number. If he couldn't work with me I'd turn in a complaint to my Bank Card company. Long pause someone else came on the line my subscription was cancelled.

Love my XM radio have in both my 08 Malibu LTZ and 17 Buick Regal GS
cheers3.gif

My 20-something Son says XM is for old guys. Streaming with a smartphone is the modern way. Yes, you need a good signal, hopefully unlimited data too. I can build my own station with Iheartradio, listen anywhere in the world, then all the podcasts , etc..

With a short look one can find AM or FM stations to fill any gaps. It's kinda like navigation features fixed in a vehicle. When it comes to updated Nav, it's hard to beat the smartphone with google maps, or similar.

The sound quality stinks because of the pathetic bit-rate. Sounds like customer service employees feel their job is threatened unless they can convince the customer to stay a subscriber. It's a pathetic way to treat employees.

Originally Posted by Mr_Joe
My 20-something Son says XM is for old guys. Streaming with a smartphone is the modern way. Yes, you need a good signal, hopefully unlimited data too. I can build my own station with Iheartradio, listen anywhere in the world, then all the podcasts , etc..

With a short look one can find AM or FM stations to fill any gaps. It's kinda like navigation features fixed in a vehicle. When it comes to updated Nav, it's hard to beat the smartphone with google maps, or similar.

Vehicles with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are awesome.

I just cancelled my subscription. I really only used it on road trips and these days with unlimited data I just stream. They will always try to offer you a better deal when you cancel. The night I called to actually cancel they ended up offering me $2 a month for 3 months. Before that it was $5/mo for 12 months and before that it was $5/6 Months.

I just hated paying for something I never used, otherwise I would have kept it, but podcasts pretty much eat up my driving time and if I'm on a long trip with the family one of us will just stream.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by 97prizm

Well that's great but wait until the day you try to cancel the subscription. Every time I got some on on the phone Oh I can't do that then they would hang up on you. After the 5th time I quickly said wait bring you manager on the line. Click hung up on me again. Finally after about six more calls someone put their manager on the line. He said oh we can do that. I explained to him my Credit card number had changed and I wasn't giving them the new number. If he couldn't work with me I'd turn in a complaint to my Bank Card company. Long pause someone else came on the line my subscription was cancelled.

I hear this all the time, but in the 20 or so times I have canceled, I have never had to make more than one phone call, and takes no more than 5 minutes.

And yes, I have cancelled over 20 times.
I have a lifetime subscription on one radio, but added another vehicle. After the 6 month to 1 year subscription is up, and before the price increase, I call and cancel it. Sometimes I get a good deal and renew right then and there, other times, I cancel it because I don't get a good deal, and within a month, I get a deal I like.

As of now, I only have the lifetime in my wife's Santa Fe. I canceled my truck and daughters car. She uses Spotify, and I don't drive my truck enough to justify it and just use the local radio or CD's.

I agree it is nice if you travel a lot, no need to try to find a local station when in a new area and not have to worry about cell signal.
If not for the lifetime subscription though, I probably would not have it anymore, streaming just has too many options now days and most vehicles have at least bluetooth connection, if not Android Auto or Apple Play.

Originally Posted by Mr_Joe

And Pepsi is for kids.
11.gif

hbl_1278522_xxl.jpg

Screw XM. I was forced into a free trial when I bought my car at a local dealer, I don't even know how they got my info but I NEVER consented to it, and when the 3 mo. ran out they called MULTIPLE times a day, every day, even after warnings to stop. I finally exploded on the last rep. and said if I got another phone call they would be hearing from my attorney regarding the harassment and I'd be calling the local AG and the BBB. I didn't hear back since.

They can keep their crappy, limited playlists and garbage sound quality. Spotify is $10/mo and blows XM out of the water, even more so now with Apple Car Play and Android Auto.

I repeat: SCREW XM!

+1 with JohnyJohnson. My wife had a subscription for the house for about a decade and finally found she wasn't really listening to it any more. She called to cancel.. What a travesty. Hang ups, put on indefinite hold, etc. Finally, she called our credit card company and told them not to accept any more charges from Sirius. The guy laughed and told her it would GLADLY be taken care of and she could join a long list of dissatisfied customers. They stopped taking charges from Sirius and then the phone calls to the house started. Luckily, we have caller ID so we never answered them. They went on for about a month and stopped. Then the mailings started. Somewhat threatening at first but then they just devolved into "Hey, we would like you back" stuff.

I would NEVER do business with Sirius again.Be aware of this before you start a subscription.

Originally Posted by blupupher

I hear this all the time, but in the 20 or so times I have canceled, I have never had to make more than one phone call, and takes no more than 5 minutes.

This. I've had much the same experience. Never once been hung up on or had a rude rep. A rep I can barely understand, yes, but not rude.

Not sticking up for them mind you, they've already started the mailers on me, but life has no guarantees to not ever be annoyed, so I just deal with it.

We stream program in our cars via cellphones, no XM here; I'm not aware of the subscription cancellation problems but I'm well aware of repetition of programs and very low sound quality, so say NO to XM

On my bike I love my custom molded ear plugs with tiny Sony digital
speakers... they cut 30db of wind noise and allow every note of the
music through even at low volumes... perfect...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I added a light weight Xact Sirius satellite receiver... Moozic non stop...

I tested 3 sets of the custom molded ear plugs that are on the market
and the ones made by Marylin Navia at Now Hear This are the most
comfortable and the quietest not to mention they do not move out of
place putting the skid lid on...

http://plugup.com/cart/index.php

And finally I interfaced Mr.RC45's Oh Sh*t Detector...

I have the basic plan in my car. Had the better plan but they made me mad. They said, hey download our app and find out the new stations. Then they charged me more money. I didn't consent to paying more money. I canceled but missed it so went back for the basic plan. Listen a lot the old time radio station. The rock stations I get are extremely repetitive. Think they play Jackson Brown about twice an hour.

Back