Would an aftermarket wheel affect TORQUE STEERING?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 1.5 yr. ago ---- I went from STOCK 2007 Corolla CE:

15 X 6 Steel Wheel; Integrity 185/65/15 tires; Offset 45mm; Wheel/Tire combo, about 37 lb.

to:

15 X 7 Alloy Wheel; +38mm OFFSET with HEAVY TIRES TripleTred 215/60/15 --- weighs about 45lbs.

------------------------------

I never really noticed any torque-steering before. but it became much more pronounced and annoying with the aftermarket wheel, and this is the main reason why I will be replacing it.

there were many changes, though, i wonder what caused it.
was it the weight??
the offset?
the width?

WHAT???

This may seem silly, but switch the tires from side to side and see if that changes anything. Tires can do weird things.

I suspect that the Corolla has unequal length cv axles which will contribute to torque steer. Most high performance vechiles have equal length shafts - for instance the older Integra and Civic are basically the same car but the Integra (more powerful engine) has equal length shafts and the Civic does not.

The torque on your steering wheel is the force times the lever arm length. Your offset makes the lever arm 7mm longer, and the wider tire makes it (on average) 15mm longer. I wouldn't think this would be felt, but the math works to explain what you're feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back