Worried About My Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shouldn't be, but I am. We took him in this morning to get his teeth cleaned. They have to put him out to do it. I don't like anesthesia. Especially because of the fact he's so small, it becomes more dosage critical.

But his teeth were really bad and needed a good cleaning. He had A LOT of tarter. I hope everything goes OK. But bad things can happen. Even with people. Look at Joan Rivers. She went in for a routine out patient procedure, and never woke up. I'll just feel better when we get him back home. I'm not patient when it comes to waiting for things like this.

I feel you… It's always scary when our fur-babies have to undergo any procedure. Took my Husky in for a dual-knee surgery earlier this year and just broke down in the car when I left the vet knowing what he was about to go through. Whether it's something simple as a teeth cleaning or something far more invasive, it's scary none-the-less.

No doubt your pup will do just fine, though, and be more comfortable with a clean bill of health from the dentist!!

It's natural. it shows you're not a cold-blooded SOB. It's a good thing.
smile.gif

Both my wife and I started to tear up when we dropped off our cat for a three day stay at the vet for radiation therapy on her thyroid. It wasn't surgery, wasn't even something she needed to be knocked out for. We were just worried about her stressing out over not knowing what was going on and who all these strange people were around her.

That said, we've been told we should have her teeth cleaned. She's 10 now so she's due. But the thought of her being knocked out for it does worry us a bit also.

I hear you , my little dog , now 8 years old , popped his knee (I guess you would call it)
out of place about 2 months ago,, the vet said surgery at $3000 or she would pop it back in place and it would take a few months for him to heal up...can't afford $3000 so it was and still is a healing process...really was worried about the little guy but he's coming along fine , still limps at times but making progress every day.. I think most dogs are a lot tougher than we think

He gonna bite you...
He will be just fine; he's got a great doggie dad.
And his teeth and overall health will be improved.

Dogs are the best! Going forward though do you do anything to help keep his teeth clean? Bones or something for him to chew on? I give my dog raw chicken legs 3 days a week and her teeth are nice and white. Also I have a holistic vet that I take mine to.....I have not had this done with mine but she offers sedation free teeth cleaning if your dog will cooperate. I totally understand you stressing. I would be too. I am sure he will be fine though
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JLTD
I feel your anxiety. How old is he? Let us know how clean his breath is when he gets home.
grin.gif

I'm guessing he is right around 7. We don't know for sure because we took him off the street. But when we found him his bottom front teeth were just barely protruding above the gum line. So he couldn't have been more than 4 to 6 months old.

I should know something in a couple of hours. You are right about his breath. It has to improve. When we dropped him off it could stop an M-1 Abrams.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
smile.gif

Goodness, that reminds me of a dog experience several decades ago. It was a sunny, crisp upper peninsula February day and I was taking a lunch break sitting under a pine tree where I was doing a timber inventory. I heard beagles howling in the distance all morning and a snowshoe hare came hopping by me just a few feet away. Minutes later two beagles came trotting along, howling with their noses on the rabbit trail. I heard a few shotgun blasts throughout the afternoon. On my way out of the woods, I ran into the grizzly old hunter with one beagle tagging along.

When I asked where the other beagle was, he explained that she was getting old and lame, so he shot her!
33.gif
One of my first exposures to the sometimes harsh realities of life in the northern wilderness.

Wishing the OP's dog the best!

Originally Posted by mcrn
Dogs are the best! Going forward though do you do anything to help keep his teeth clean? Bones or something for him to chew on? I give my dog raw chicken legs 3 days a week and her teeth are nice and white. Also I have a holistic vet that I take mine to.....I have not had this done with mine but she offers sedation free teeth cleaning if your dog will cooperate. I totally understand you stressing. I would be too. I am sure he will be fine though
smile.gif

I'm going to try to find something for him to help prevent this in the future. The key is finding something he likes, that will also do the job. Small dogs can be very uncooperative when trying to clean or service anything in their mouths. He won't bite, but he'll fight. It becomes a totally non productive venture.

We take our two in on an annual basis to get their teeth cleaned. It's pretty normal and routine, and at 10 and 11 years old they've never had a single issue.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
We take our two in on an annual basis to get their teeth cleaned. It's pretty normal and routine, and at 10 and 11 years old they've never had a single issue.

My next door neighbor does the same. Her dog is smaller than mine, and she takes him in yearly. I'll just feel better when it's all behind him.

Be of good cheer 460. We have had many cats and dogs over the last forty some years and never had one die under anesthesia. But I understand your concern and always have some concern that they might not wake up. Regards to you sir.

Our recently passed dog was hospitalized many years ago and had since not been allowed to be vaccinated, in addition to avoiding anesthesia. Becasue of that, his teeth weren't often professionally cleaned (we brushed them as often as we could).

We actually had good luck with some dental treats, they noticeably removed tartar after a while. He was eating them fairly quickly, so we froze them to give him more gnawing time.

He's back, and all is well. He didn't need any extractions, and all his teeth were good. What a difference! You don't realize how bad they were until you get them cleaned. They really did a nice job. They gave him some antibiotics for a few days, and all of his blood panels came back good. So he's in real good shape.

We had our rescued Papillon's (10lbs) teeth cleaned and she had to by put under, it took several days for her to be back to normal and decided that we'll not do that in the future. Small dogs are too hard to dose accurately.

Originally Posted by billt460
He's back, and all is well. He didn't need any extractions, and all his teeth were good. What a difference! You don't realize how bad they were until you get them cleaned. They really did a nice job. They gave him some antibiotics for a few days, and all of his blood panels came back good. So he's in real good shape.

Good to hear! I suspect my two feline thugs will need their teeth cleaned soon, and I tend to worry about them as you did your dog.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
smile.gif

Goodness, that reminds me of a dog experience several decades ago. It was a sunny, crisp upper peninsula February day and I was taking a lunch break sitting under a pine tree where I was doing a timber inventory. I heard beagles howling in the distance all morning and a snowshoe hare came hopping by me just a few feet away. Minutes later two beagles came trotting along, howling with their noses on the rabbit trail. I heard a few shotgun blasts throughout the afternoon. On my way out of the woods, I ran into the grizzly old hunter with one beagle tagging along.

When I asked where the other beagle was, he explained that she was getting old and lame, so he shot her!
33.gif
One of my first exposures to the sometimes harsh realities of life in the northern wilderness.

Wishing the OP's dog the best!

Man, that reminds of Of Mice and Men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back