World's largest Sally Lunn Bun?

Probably not the biggest Sally Lunn bun ever made but its the largest I've ever seen. It's sitting on a dinner plate so you know its big. I also made regular-sized ones. My son called dibs on the big one. He intends to have it with butter and marmalade with his breakfast tea.

new friend poem

Not a bun persay but, when I was growing up, there were 2 restaurant/deli's that had stake subs. Their largest stake sandwich/sub was the "STAKE BOMBER". They were on really good bread of the size you've pictured...about the size of a dinner platter. And you could get anything on the stake you wanted. Cheese, mushrooms, peppers, etc. WOW, these stake bombers were awesome!

In NZ a Sally Lunn has cream cheese and coconut on top.

Seen in a NZ supermarket....

ERTFPO5AXZBRFISNM5AM3JFCF4.jpg

That says 'Sally Lungs. ' Sounds like a cigarette brand. The original Sally Lunn bun is from Bath, England, not to be confused with the Bath bun that is similar only in appearance.

1) That's something completely new to me...never even heard the name before.

2) No highjack intended but does anyone remember the large sponge cake "rolls" sold in various Chinatowns? Back in the '70's they were a dime.
.....Those things were what I burned when I walked every street in San Francisco.

..same here.

I must have been sick that day - or series of decades....I never heard of a bun named a "Sally Lunn" and had no idea what the name of the thread was when I opened it.

Whooosh....did you feel a breeze as that one flew over mate ?
Taking into account such culinary treats as hot chip butties and Marmite crisp
sandwiches I couldn't tell you let one fly!

Last edited:
1) That's something completely new to me...never even heard the name before.

2) No highjack intended but does anyone remember the large sponge cake "rolls" sold in various Chinatowns? Back in the '70's they were a dime.
.....Those things were what I burned when I walked every street in San Francisco.
Chinese Swiss Rolls? They are based on the Hong Kong style Swiss rolls and can be found at most Chinese bakeries in the US.

Back