World War II movie Greyhound

I'm not sure how rare the story is. Thousands of convoys crossed the Atlantic and the U boat menace was there for all of them.

Not knocking this movie. I haven't watched it yet. I may if it's free. I heard the CGI is a bit overwhelming and overdone but I'll wait for more reviews.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I'm not sure how rare the story is. Thousands of convoys crossed the Atlantic and the U boat menace was there for all of them.

Not knocking this movie. I haven't watched it yet. I may if it's free. I heard the CGI is a bit overwhelming and overdone but I'll wait for more reviews.

Maybe he is talking about there not being many movies about those convoys.

Originally Posted by loneryder

That could be. Then again, war movies are not very common these days.

I grew up watching war movies and westerns. Both have faded away. It's a shame too.

Hi
I have yet to see the film but it is nice to see the battle of the Atlantic get some acknowledgement.

"The only thing that really frightened me during the war was the U-boat peril. I was even more anxious about this battle than I had been about the glorious air fight called the 'Battle of Britain'."
Sir Winston Churchill.

Movie was great, keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Covid really stinks, but our grandparents had to deal with polio AND Nazis.

UD

Originally Posted by UncleDave

UD

I remember getting polio vaccinations .

Dad served on the USS Iowa during WWII , against the Japanese Navy .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Full Respect to him.

The Caine Mutiny. I believe Humphrey Bogart played a burnt out captain who did sea duty in the North Atlantic. He was reassigned to the US naval vessel Caine.

I enjoyed the movie. I really love "band of brothers" series a lot too

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by UncleDave

UD

I remember getting polio vaccinations .

I did the sugar cube .

Loved it, just a bit biased,
thumbsup2.gif

I loved the movie and the fact that the technical was thrown in as movie lines. Not sure how accurate but the math they had to perform on the fly on closures I presume by hand baffles me. Navy takes some serious brains than to perform.

I'll be generous and give it a C minus. Lacked character development. Didn't get to know the sailors. A lot of the enemy submarine action made no sense, being on the surface in the middle of the convoy.? It was a video game not a movie.

Originally Posted by loneryder

That could be. Then again, war movies are not very common these days.

I grew up watching war movies and westerns. Both have faded away. It's a shame too.

If you haven't seen it I recommend The Outpost...

If anyone is inclined to read a nonfiction novel about the Atlantic convoys during WWII, check out:
The Cruel Sea, by Nicholas Montsarrat

Life on a destroyer in the open ocean is no joke. The courage of the merchant sailors was amazing as well.

Back