Working on your car

I've always done most of my own work on every car up until I reached my 40s I started trying to pay to have things done, and at this point I still end up having to redo the work myself. I've tried several shops all with good references and have realized shops are out to get you in and out with a bandaid solution. I've had my van ac fixed 3 years straight and all they are doing is adding Freon and sending me on my way when I keep asking them to fix the problem. My latest issue is a emissions tube on a 94 5.8l van, first shop had the van 16 days and put some type of exhaust wrap around it that lasted 50 miles. Second shop replaced the tube but I still heard a small leak, I've took it back twice sense and they say they can't hear it. So I'm just going to have to fix it myself. I just want to find a mechanic that will take the time to complete the job correctly the first time.
When doing any job on my own vehicles I come across a tool needed I don't have I just go buy the tool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pbm
Some people are more mechanically inclined than others

That's what I think too. I think some people are just born with a very mechanical brain. A friend of mine had build a Z32 twin turbo engine from the ground up. He had all of the parts scattered out across his living room floor with absolutely no rhyme or reason. He built that engine in no time at all like it was nothing. I watched him do it and it totally blew my mind!! Me,there's no way I would be able to do that.

Like many have said someone put it together so with the right tools and patience most things can be done by a DIY and save yourself some serious money.
The funniest thing I've seen lately was when I mentioned on an Audi forum that I was preparing to do my 40k mile DSG fluid change by myself. I was literally attacked saying that I would certainly screw up a $7k transmission. I was not worried as I've done dozens of DSG transmission services and although the 7speed in the A4 was different from the 6 speeds I had done on my TDI Passats and Jettas a little research and a couple new tools made servicing the 7 speed easier than the 6 speeds.
One guy proclaiming to be an Audi tech said it would blow up in my face as there is a pressure accumulator full of fluid under high pressure. Yes there is a pressure accumulator that if not emptied simply leaves more old fluid in than if its empty. Well to empty all I had to do was depressurize it with my obdeleven, which cost me 80 dollars. The 7 speed has 3 built in filters in the mechatronics unit so the entire job consists of getting car up and level, drain fluid, put fluid back in, bring up to temperature and move through the gears and replace the plug. Saved over 500 dollars doing it myself.
Majority of those on the audi forum would be challenged to rotate their tires. Hardly any maintenance threads at all.

Reactions: JC1
Genetics certainly plays an important role. Some people excel at working with their hands while others excel at working with their minds. Mechanical work requires both. It doesn't come natural for me. I need photos/diagrams or I will forget how to put something complicated back together. I still struggle with the diagnostic process of troubleshooting. There is a process to be followed that behooves me. I try hard not to be a parts changer. Experience plays an important role - working 40 hours a week on cars vs. 40 - 100 hours a year makes a big difference.

Jack of many trades, master of none certainly describes me. I get frustrated when I see a professional trades person knock out a job in 1/4 the time it takes me. But ask them about something outside their expertise and they falter too.

Being generally self reliant is something to be proud of. Our culture is making it harder to achieve. The trades don't like DIYers.

Back to the OP's question: its a combination of things. Inherent desire to tinker with things, reading/book learning, asking questions, watching/helping others, diving in - making mistakes, knowing when the time/expertise is not worth it and hiring it out.

Some of us grew up on farms, where you repaired tractor engines and things yourself. That ability to tackle it yourself is fading away, except for members of this site, its unheard of to rebuild an engine or even do your own brakes.

Reactions: JC1
Recently I oversaw an automotive tech program at a local technical college. It amazed me the range of skill that students had and the various reasons students were in the program. Some students didn't even understand the various types of screwdrivers such as phillips and slotted. We had another student snap 12 bolts on an oil pan because he was turning the bolts the wrong way. There were also students who were in the program because they liked cars and didn't realize that working on vehicles was different than liking cars!

Originally Posted by PimTac
When I went to high school they still had auto shop where one could gain these skills. Many of us might have known a mechanic who we would watch when we were young.

My freshman year I had 1 period of auto shop.sophmore,jr and senior I had 2 back to back.

Remember that owning more vehicles (in good/safe operating state) than drivers, gives you a redundant cushion. If a vehicle has a problem, you're not stuck fixing it rapidly to get back and forth to work or grocery store, etc, instead you have some time to research what tools you need vs already have, where to get parts (how long that will take), how much to take apart to access the problem area, etc.

Owning more vehicles than drivers can also mean that you are (can be) putting fewer miles on each vehicle, so this stretches out the repair cycle compared to more miles on fewer vehicle(s). They do need exercised every now and then, so gas/tires/rotors/mechanisms/etc don't sit unused too long.

Last edited:
My buddy was a aircraft mechanic on a Navy ship. Said doing work on most domestic cars was simple and often sloppy. He fixed lots of my GM issues. He still takes his Porsche to dealership
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
When I went to high school they still had auto shop where one could gain these skills. Many of us might have known a mechanic who we would watch when we were young.

My freshman year I had 1 period of auto shop.sophmore,jr and senior I had 2 back to back.

I remember metal shop and wood shop too. Learned a bit of acetylene and arc welding as well as using power tools. The high school I went to also had drafting. There was definitely a Vocational Technical aspect in those days. My guess is that it's all gone now or replaced with computer/high tech stuff.

I was interested in mechanical stuff when I was very young, by middle school I was working on bicycles and motorcycles. In high school I took every auto shop class offered by the district and was planning on becoming an auto technician. One day an Air Force recruiter called and asked if I wanted to be an Aircraft mechanic. I did that in various forms for 10 years and Then moved on to full civilian life.

I started out with minimal mechanical knowledge, but a strong interest and passion in cars in general. I remember my first oil change on a 1986 Pontiac Grand Am with the 2.5L Iron Duke when I was about 16, I drained the oil then proceeded to start the car and run garden hose water through the engine for about a minute so as to flush all the old oil out. Seemed to make sense at the time, I remember questioning myself but thought "what harm could possibly come of it?" I filled the car back up with oil started it and although it had a ticking noise that wasn't present beforehand, it otherwise ran just fine.

Fast forward to the present day and I do *ALL* wrenching on my vehicles, except those services I don't have equipment for-- like tire balancing, alignments, etc. Actually in the last 15 years or so, I'm pretty sure the only thing I've had a car in the shop for is tire service, alignments or A/C related. And now I have the tools to do the A/C myself. The reason I do it myself is primarily these reasons:

a) I live very frugally and resent paying someone to do work I can do myself
b) interest in cars, and I actually enjoy it though it can be incredibly frustrating at times
c) I have had bad experiences with mechanics misdiagnosing things and generally being shady or doing unsatisfactory work

Having an interest in something and learning it go hand and hand, without one or the other I believe your doomed for failure or gonna have a miserable time. Two things were key to learning, one is having time (a spare vehicle, so you don't have to rush to get a car back on the road) the other is space (a garage, carport, etc.)

There were lots of jobs I've done that were learn-as-you-go and forums helped immensely. I prefer forums wholeheartedly over Youtube, and actually can't stand watching a You-Tube how-to, because there's often too much fluff in the video and you can't really have a back and forth with questions as you might in a forum. Sadly it seems good help in forums is getting rarer by the day and more self help is only available on Youtube. Lots of time spent in junkyards has been incredibly helpful-- seeing how different manufacturers do things and you can often see how things work just by looking at partially disassembled cars. The junkyard is my happy place, if I go to grab a simple part it's almost guaranteed I'll spend a couple hours there checking stuff out. Good therapy. Most of my mechanic work / learning when I was young (say 18-25) was done via Chiltons or Haynes manuals but I've found they aren't too helpful as most try to cover too wide a variety of cars and options-- for example my Chiltons book for my '85 F250 covered model years 1980-1996, and the zillion different engine options available in those years, so you might have a single paragraph relating to your particular engine, or the illustrations show a 4.9L I-6 instead of the 7.5L V8 you're working on.

I don't have a great deal of money invested in tools, the most common tools I have came from Harbor Freight and I've been pleased with them. As long as you use the right tool for the job, the consumer grade tools seem to hold up fine. There have been plenty of occasions where I've had to pause a job to get a certain tool, sometimes expensive ones, and I simply suck it up as an investment that will make this and the subsequent jobs easier.

My dad didn't have an interest in cars, so I never had a mentor or someone to watch. But after 20 years of doing things myself and admittedly making a few mistakes along the way (minor things thankfully), I'm confident I can tackle most any job including engine / transmission replacements.

i did my own wrenching since I was a kid....kind of started out working on farm tractors lawn mowers etc, with supervision of course then moved on to what ever vehicle I had at the time....couldn't afford to pay anyone so I learned using repair manuals .. no such thing as the internet back then ,,,, yeah I made mistakes but that's parts of learning...now I still do what I can but can't do as much as I used to so I end up paying a local garage

School REALLY need to get back to teaching actual life skills like that. I graduated in 1987. I wonder how much longer after that those kind've classes were still around?

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
All you need is the ability to read and follow directions.

And tools.

Intuition and experience can help; it can also hinder.

And interest. My neighbor who is a Radiologist likes rebuilding vehicles including an AC Cobra, 68 VW Beetle Convertible, and a Porsche 964 that was a burned hulk when he brought it home. He drives a 2005 Pilot as daily driver.

For years I did my own wrenching except for transmissions. I rebuilt my first engine in the 7th grade. My dad owned a garage and car lot and he was a good teacher. I miss him.
Now that I am approaching retirement I do less work on cars, just general maintenance. I am very picky about who I let do my mechanical work.

I am self taught. Except what others have taught me. And Youtube.
I have been overtightening everything since I was real young.

I remember metal shop and wood shop too. Learned a bit of acetylene and arc welding as well as using power tools. The high school I went to also had drafting. There was definitely a Vocational Technical aspect in those days. My guess is that it's all gone now or replaced with computer/high tech stuff.

It's even dying at the vo-tech level. The machining program I went through around '07 was cancelled several years ago. They just couldn't get the enrollment. Auto and welding seems to still be going strong, though. I think auto and welding sounds more appealing to kids (community college age) - they don't know what machining is.

Too bad, I now make my living with my own little machine shop, so the education CAN work....

Back