Wood boards as a backup for Rhino ramps—how high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 on Sears jack stands. I picked up 3 sets over time because of rolling points and great deal. Cheap gifts! Also inspect the welds, they do occasionally have defects.

A coworker of mine swears by phone books to back up his ramp.

Kind of like the phone book tactic. Probably could use any large books, like dictionaries or encyclopedias stacked up to the frame. If the ramp collapsed, the books would not damage the frame when it dropped.

Originally Posted By: paulri
I have a pair of 16,000 lb Rhino ramps I drive my cars up when I change the oil. Because of stories of ramps and jacks failing, I like to use a stack of boards that I have in my garage, as a backup plan. I put them in between the two tires on each side.

My question is—is there a given height that my stack of boards should go? Do I simply have to put my stacks high enough to allow me to have room, below the level of the boards, if the chassis falls? Or could the innards at the bottom of the car, drop lower than the frame itself, that is resting on the boards—in which case, I’d need to give myself a few extra inches of leeway here.

I wouldn't use ramps and jack stands together since the suspension will push the ramps out as the weight increases on them. That would cause a stand failure for sure. One or the other IMO, but wheel chocks for both methods would be a good idea.

There was a nice jack stand/ stool thing on here a while back where a pad sat on the jack and was lowered onto the stool with the car on it. Seemed like a clean and simple design, but last I looked they were on back order. No lifting the car by non approved jack points to get stands under it.

Originally Posted By: Kansas_Ron

Purchase 2, 2"x 10" x 12' boards. One board will make a ramp. Lowes will cut to lengths shown. Get some nails, or screws and adhesive. Cheap. simple, and heavy. I have used them for 8 years.

This is pretty much how mine look. I have steel ramps but they don't fit well on my Versa. The wood ramps do perfect on the Versa.

I'm wondering if there is any downside to the stands Johnny Johnson linked to (http://www.kmart.com/craftsman-professio...720_59415_Tools).

The reviewers avg. 4.5 stars. Verified purchased reviews have almost all 5 star reviews. They are on sale for smae price, with the same reviews, at sears.com also.

Does anyone here think these might not be good enough? They are 4 tons (both jacks); my minivan is only 5700 lbs so I should be good there.

Last edited:
my minivan is only 5700 lbs

A Sienna? Not unless you have at least 1300 lbs of cargo in it (or 7 adults and a full tank of gas).

Edmunds has the curb weight at 4120, and gross at 5690.

Since I don't plan on changing oil with 7 passengers inside the van, I can plan on using the curb weight as the figure I want, when buying jack stands.

Must have confused the two numbers.

Originally Posted By: wag123
my minivan is only 5700 lbs

A Sienna? Not unless you have at least 1300 lbs of cargo in it (or 7 adults and a full tank of gas).

I dug a pit large enough to finish with concrete walls and floor (lot's of rebar in Italian butterfly style) I did however dig using a chinese made shove and the plans were printed on a chinese made printer. Am I taking my life into my own hands when using this pit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back