Wix vs Wix XP vs Amsoil oil filters

Hello,

This topic had been covered & covered, but the page count for the threads is astronomical. Apologies for resurrecting the question.

So far, I had been using amsoil and their filters, changing them annually, "normal" commute. I was planning on switching from amsoil oil filter 1/yr changes to wix 2+ oil filters changes per yr because of less costs of wix and switching to a fresh filter more regularly. My goal is to have a well maintained car, but not spend all my free time to maintain it.

Could someone suggest / recap if the Wix filters are worth it and if Wix XP filters actually have a decreased efficiency and it's worth sticking with the plain Wix ?. From the other perspective how do wix xp and amoil filters compare, can they handle once / yr changes ?

Last edited:
As stated, what mileage do you put on a year? If 10k and under then Wix would work just fine.

Also, how long do you keep your vehicles? If for 200k + miles then preventive maintenance is Key. Otherwise if you trade every 5 years and under 120k miles then it doesn't matter. You don't need to worry about it.

Most don't keep their vehicle long enough to warrant paying high prices for oil/filters. Walmart ST will work just fine and would save you $$$$$.

Wix XP is a tougher, lower efficiency, long life syn media filter. Regular Wix/NAPA Gold is a reasonably strong, not as long life blend media filter. Amsoil is a tough, long life, higher efficiency syn media filter (like RP, Ultra, FG Stratapore, Donaldson Blue). All of them will handle mfr.'s OCIs easily, and lighten your wallet by different amounts. Start EXTENDING OCIs, and running multiple OCIs on the same filter-THEN there will be a difference!

cleaner is better, so changing oil + filter more often with a decent filter + fake synthetic will be best for most IMO + as noted many owners trade often leaving any issues to the next owner!!

Does not mean to be a pest.

Need more data like what car are we talking about, what is your driving habit, how many miles per year, etc.

As you said, you are trying to create a new discussion pertaining to your car but you don't provide the data on your car???

Thank you for your input. We have 3 cars, older Civic, 2011 Camry and 2010 Explorer.

Only Camry does about 15k per yr, other are/should be below 10K per yr.

Oneter, yes, $$$ is the constraint., but the longevity seems to have a priority. We are keeping the cars, not into replacing every few years. So, I'm computer the opportunity costs, a bit pricier oil and saving on not buying a new car. My older Civic is about 20yrs.

Keeping an eye on the motor oil ranking. https://youtu.be/TWuKvnCq1js?t=297

Last edited:
I have a 25 year old BMW, a 23 year old Honda, and two Toyota cars, one 21 years old and one that's 20. The highest miles is my Sienna with over 425,000 miles. I've used mostly Mobil 1 and OEM filters, none have excessive consumption or weird noises. My take away is that you don't need expensive filters nor oil to get long life and high miles out of your vehicles.

The motor oil "ranking" video you linked is complete nonsense and has no relevancy to real world performance. You get rankings by comparing specifications, certifications and approvals. Not some dude on YouTube who really doesn't know what he's doing.

My objective is to find a balance of keeping my cars well over 200K and saving on the car maintenance.

Originally Posted by pcowner1
My objective is to find a balance of keeping my cars well over 200K and saving on the car maintenance.

If you use an appropriately rated oil for your vehicle and change it at a proper interval, your maintenance will not involve engine work.

Originally Posted by kschachn
I have a 25 year old BMW, a 23 year old Honda, and two Toyota cars, one 21 years old and one that's 20. The highest miles is my Sienna with over 425,000 miles. I've used mostly Mobil 1 and OEM filters, none have excessive consumption or weird noises. My take away is that you don't need expensive filters nor oil to get long life and high miles out of your vehicles.

Thank you for the reply. What filters are you using and how often do you replace oil / filter ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Courtesy of Project Farm

Last edited:

If you use an appropriately rated oil for your vehicle and change it at a proper interval, your maintenance will not involve engine work.

Of course, that is the reason I'm looking for the advise, considering the costs of paying upfront, thus saving on the oil replacement fees.

What I mean is that assuming I replace oil/filter 1/yr, going with Amsoil it would cost me filter about $20, oil if about $9/qt for 4 to 5 trs, plus $15 oil change fees, so the total is $20+(5*$9)+$15 = $80 vs
Walmart oil about $5/qt and Wix filter about $10, but replacing it 2X per yr., (2*$10)+(5*$5)+(2*$15) = $75

I talked to the oil change shop and they would swap oil filter for free if I were to only replace filters during the yr., so I could keep longer lasting amsoil and replace only Wix filters 2xYR.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

The motor oil "ranking" video you linked is complete nonsense and has no relevancy to real world performance. You get rankings by comparing specifications, certifications and approvals. Not some dude on YouTube who really doesn't know what he's doing.

Are you using the plain Mobil1 (from Costco) or the annual version? Also, did you try Amazon Basics/Walmart brand ? Wouldn't Wix be better over OEM filter ?

Courtesy of Project Farm

As fun as his videos are.... he doesn't necessarily do any real scientific testing

I talked to the oil change shop and they would swap oil filter for free if I were to only replace filters during the yr., so I could keep longer lasting amsoil and replace only Wix filters 2xYR.
Any thoughts?

My thoughts:
Run Amsoil Signature for 25,000 miles
Use a "premium" synthetic filter (RP, Fram Ultra, FG Stratapore, Donaldson Blue) for 25,000 miles.
Change both at 25,000 miles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Courtesy of Project Farm

TBN is not the be-all end-all, especially if you have a GDI engine that is prone to LSPI. You also have to factor in ROI-Amsoil or Red Line are probably triple the cost of Super Tech or even Chevron Supreme-are they really three times as good? What about your driving habits-are there a lot of short trips in cold weather? Does your engine have long timing chains or a diesel HEUI injection system to shear oil down? There's too many variables to rely on clickbait YT videos!

Originally Posted by Linctex

Any thoughts?

My thoughts:
Run Amsoil Signature for 25,000 miles
Use a "premium" synthetic filter (RP, Fram Ultra, FG Stratapore, Donaldson Blue) for 25,000 miles.
Change both at 25,000 miles.

Thank you. And Fram Ultra Synthetic is better than Wix (or Wix XP/ K&N) ? Any thoughts on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic, it seems pretty close in the tests and costs half less than Amsoil ?

Last edited:
Back