Wix Oil Filter Rating Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I contacted Wix regarding the "Nominal Micron Rating" spec they list for some filters. For example, the 57055 has a rating of 15 microns, while the 57055XP is rated at 35 microns..

I asked what filtration efficiency the micron rating is based on, and they responded that no additional information is available.

I am not sure what a 15-micron rating means if it is not qualified with a percent removal. A filter could filter down to 15 microns, which sounds good, but if it only captures, say, 50% at that level of filtration, then maybe not so good.

Anyone shed more light on this?

Thanks.

Nominal rating is typically 50%, which seems to be the industry minimum percentage. To the best of my knowledge:

Wix/Napa Gold is 50% @ 15 microns, 99% @ 23 microns

On the other hand I have seen information suggesting:

Wix XP/Napa Platinum is 50% @ 20 microns, 99% @ 35 microns

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Nominal rating is typically 50%, which seems to be the industry minimum percentage. To the best of my knowledge:

Wix/Napa Gold is 50% @ 15 microns, 99% @ 23 microns

On the other hand I have seen information suggesting:

Wix XP/Napa Platinum is 50% @ 20 microns, 99% @ 35 microns

Yes its worth the $1.61 cents they are charging at Rockauto. But alas I already probably have a life time supply of filters for my Corolla. Its 15 years old I do 2 OCI a year and I have 14 filters for it.

"Nominal" and "Absolute" efficiency has been talked about a lot over the years. Here's some info I had in on old post. Also attached a snip-it from someplace.

So "Nominal" typically means at 50% efficiency (Beta=2) and "Absolute" typically means at 98.7% efficiency (Beta = 75).

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...173/re-full-brand-oil-filter#Post4108173

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back