Wix Oil Filter Rating Question

I contacted Wix regarding the "Nominal Micron Rating" spec they list for some filters. For example, the 57055 has a rating of 15 microns, while the 57055XP is rated at 35 microns.. I asked what filtration efficiency the micron rating is based on, and they responded that no additional information is available. I am not sure what a 15-micron rating means if it is not qualified with a percent removal. A filter could filter down to 15 microns, which sounds good, but if it only captures, say, 50% at that level of filtration, then maybe not so good. Anyone shed more light on this? Thanks.

Nominal rating is typically 50%, which seems to be the industry minimum percentage. To the best of my knowledge: Wix/Napa Gold is 50% @ 15 microns, 99% @ 23 microns On the other hand I have seen information suggesting: Wix XP/Napa Platinum is 50% @ 20 microns, 99% @ 35 microns

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Nominal rating is typically 50%, which seems to be the industry minimum percentage. To the best of my knowledge: Wix/Napa Gold is 50% @ 15 microns, 99% @ 23 microns On the other hand I have seen information suggesting: Wix XP/Napa Platinum is 50% @ 20 microns, 99% @ 35 microns
Yes its worth the $1.61 cents they are charging at Rockauto. But alas I already probably have a life time supply of filters for my Corolla. Its 15 years old I do 2 OCI a year and I have 14 filters for it.