Wiping the engine oil dipstick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbx

Hello everyone,

This probably might seem like a silly question to some but I just want to confirm if it will cause any issues to my engine by wiping my dipstick with kitchen roll tissue paper (Home paper towels) when checking the oil level?

Basically my concern is, if by a small chance some part of the tissue is left on the dipstick and I don't realise it and put the dipstick back into the engine, is it going to cause issues? I've never real thought about this before until now.

What's your thoughts?

Thanks

My thought is that I have resorted to pulling the dipstick through my fingers before measuring, then wiping them with the paper towel.
Be careful if you do this with some sticks, like Honda's 'flat' (instead of round) ones, I'm sure they could cut if handled improperly.

Originally Posted by bbx
This probably might seem like a silly question to some but I just want to confirm if it will cause any issues to my engine by wiping my dipstick with kitchen roll tissue paper (Home paper towels) when checking the oil level?

Being a newbie here, we give you some slack, but really?

I changed the oil for a customer once who said he had just built the engine (1991 Ford Mustang with 5.0L). Had about 500 miles on it and he was concerned about low oil pressure showing on his gauge. I drained the oil...didn't look all that bad. I took off the filter and saw a few strands of "something". Looked like red sewing thread.

I cut the filter open and it was nearly completely stopped up with red shop rag lint. I asked him how he cleaned the engine before it was assembled. "Doused it with carb and brake cleaner and wiped with...shop rags". Seems like the oil filter caught it all. Moral of the story...wiping your dip stick with a paper towel or napkin is fine.

I have been using a paper kitchen towel since I was 12, no wonder every engine I ever touched blew up.
lol.gif

I think it's a valid question. For instance, many people wouldn't think twice about using various hardware to rig up something--but "those in the know" know that galvanic reactions can occur. And that pressure treat wood requires special fastners likewise.

Usually around engines lint-free is the rule of thumb. But like many rules of thumb, one has to know where it came from and its limitations. In this case, a dipstick is the least of worries: anything left behind is going to be stopped by the oil filter.

No worries. Heck a few times I've used Kleenix out of my pocket.

I worry more about those aluminum seals on top of the plastic oil cans breaking loose and falling in the engine oil when adding oil after an oil change. I usually just break them loose like a beer can top and leave them hanging.

check the dip stick first thing of the day, no wipe necessary.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dblshock

Very accurate reading as well. As long as the vehicle is level.

Originally Posted by dblshock

Many times I do just that. I get a very accurate read, pull the stick once, look at it and put it back in. No wiping needed, not that wiping the dipstick matters. But when I do it this way I never bring a rag or a paper towel.

Heck, I have dirty rags under my hood that I use to wipe the dipstick.
21.gif

It is not something I ever thought or worried about, and in about 30 seconds will not think about again.

Much lke oil, I don't buy cheap, off-the-wall name-brand paper towels, tissues or toilet paper. In 50 years of dipstick checking, I've never had a paper towel come apart checking oil.

years ago i had a lawn mower. and i had to start pulling the dip stick slowly else it would pull oil with it and give a bad reading.

My Mazdaspeed 3 required a second dip to get a correct reading - the first pull would show it low or out of oil. The second dip would show the true level. Don't know the particulars of why but it was my experience.

My 528e had a Low levl sensor that goes off when the stick hit minimum mark Dead accurate for a qt low. After a yr or 2, I stopped my routine of checking the stick, just added the qt. The Camrys tellyou as well.
grin2.gif

I like that feature Andy, for engines that hold at least five quarts. Our new 2.0 NT Kia Soul only holds 4.2 quarts thou.
My former 1984 Pontiac 6000 with 2.5 four banger only held 3-1/2 quarts with filter. Watched that dipstick level more closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back