wiper run dry windshield safety inspection

pb

go ahead start laughing.
but as i stood outside the bay where my safety inspection was taking place, i cringed when the wipers ran over the dry windshield. the car was clean before the trip, but then you're driving 20 miles to the rural shop.
i don't want to rely on asking the tech to only run the wipers with the washer function. i could spritz the windshield with a water bottle before they begin. but i see the tech using the windshield as a writing surface also so...
wonder if there's a better answer.

tia,
parker
[see what covid is doing to me :)]

wow, I am funny about some stuff as well. Sometimes you just have to walk away..... My inspection is coming up and I really want to get under my Mustang while it is on a lift so I can turn the back wheels and listen to see if a faint noise that I have been hearing lately is the differential or a bearing noise....doubt they will let me under a car on a lift. I feel your pain, but at the end of the day it is just wipers.

I had a set of wipers that were scrubbing on my car a year or so ago. One time while I was waxing the car with the spray and buff wax I did the windshield too just to see how it would do. After the wax job I ended up leaving the same set of wipers on for several more months without that annoying scrubbing.

How about clean the windshield and the wiper blades too before you bring it in for state inspection? But I am not quite sure what you are worried about. If it's all clean they will not scratch the glass, wet or dry.

I once had a windshield repair guy use my hood as a table for his tool box.

Windshield as a writing surface wouldn’t bother me. I’m also not sure why he functioning the wipers dry.. Was he looking for bad wipers? Dry would over exaggerate an “issue” for sure even if they were new.

Wow, never thought twice about running wipers dry, even on a dirty windshield. So long as the blades are in even semi decent shape, and few swipes are nothing to worry about.

Back