Winter Truck: RWD w/ locking diff OR 4x4 w/o locking diff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Elkins45
4wd is like having a fire extinguisher or a gun. When you need it you need it really badly.

Well said.

I have done just fine with 2wd pick up trucks. Proper tires is mandatory. I prefer having a LSD. BTW, I am in Michigan too. Serious snow country here! Haven't been stuck in over 10 years now but I will confess to having tossed a shovel in the back a few times. Just in case. I suppose if you lived way out in the country and had to deal with deep, drifting wind driven snow, then likely a 4x4 would be necessary.

If you need to have a truck, get a 4x4. Otherwise an AWD car would work better.

My RWD BMW with snow tires is much better for most snowy roads than my Jeep XJ 4x4 ever was. The Jeep could only be in 4x4 when on non-paved surfaces (part-time system), so for partially cleared roads it spent most of the drive in 2wd, which was not ideal considering how light it was in the back. Even with an LSD it would've behaved about the same. The only reason the BMW is good in the snow is because it has a 50/50 weight distribution, and I often put a bit of weight in the trunk when it snows. I hate pickups in the snow because even the 4x4 ones are still really light in the back, and they pretty much require the 4x4 to be engaged to go anywhere on snowy roads, otherwise they are useless. The current Grand Cherokee I drive with AWD works very well in snow, but then again it is always sending power to the front wheels.

I think most trucks these days (at least I know GM) have an AWD setting as well as traditional 4HI and 4LO.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
If you need to have a truck, get a 4x4. Otherwise an AWD car would work better.

My RWD BMW with snow tires is much better for most snowy roads than my Jeep XJ 4x4 ever was. The Jeep could only be in 4x4 when on non-paved surfaces (part-time system), so for partially cleared roads it spent most of the drive in 2wd, which was not ideal considering how light it was in the back. Even with an LSD it would've behaved about the same. The only reason the BMW is good in the snow is because it has a 50/50 weight distribution, and I often put a bit of weight in the trunk when it snows. I hate pickups in the snow because even the 4x4 ones are still really light in the back, and they pretty much require the 4x4 to be engaged to go anywhere on snowy roads, otherwise they are useless. The current Grand Cherokee I drive with AWD works very well in snow, but then again it is always sending power to the front wheels.

+1

Without knowing how severe your winters are nor the type of conditions you have to drive in, I'm a firm believer in 4x4 trucks. I have owned 1 truck in my life that wasn't a 4x4 and that was my first one that I bought new.

It was a posi diffed truck and I ran snow tires and managed but there were times where it just wasn't enough. Travelling in the winter around town wasn't all that difficult but there were more than a few times where I regretted not having 4 wheel drive.

Even with my snowmobile in the back and travelling north during a snow storm, it was still tricky and nerve racking. A 4x4 doesn't make me invincible, but it definitely helps.

I don't think I'd ever buy a 2wd truck. If I lived somewhere like AZ where it never snows, then sure, I'd buy one. But here in New England, nope. I need 4wd just to get out of my steep driveway in the winter. I'd MAYBE buy a 2wd truck only if it was a cheap beater truck used strictly for hauling things/as a back-up vehicle, and could stay parked for several days/weeks while I drove something more suitable in the snow. But even then, I think I'd opt for a 4wd, so I could still utilize it in the winter if I had to.

Originally Posted by buster
RWD pickups are awful even in just rainy conditions.

I have to disagree, I have a 2011 Silverado RWD work truck that I drive year round. I've never had issues in the rain or the snow we get in my area (only about 35 inches a year) Just all season tires and some tube sand over the rear axle. At one time the majority of cars and trucks were RWD and people were able to get around. Driving in winter conditions is more than 4wd and AWD, there's a common sense factor and that is why you see SUV's in the ditch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Corollaman
Originally Posted by buster
RWD pickups are awful even in just rainy conditions.

I have to disagree, I have a 2011 Silverado RWD work truck that I drive year round. I've never had issues in the rain or the snow we get in my area (only about 35 inches a year) Just all season tires and some tube sand over the rear axle. At one time the majority of cars and trucks were RWD and people were able to get around. Driving in winter conditions is more than 4wd and AWD, there's a common sense factor and that is why you see SUV's in the ditch.

I agree 100% on people being way overconfident because they have an SUV that is AWD/4WD. In years past, I used to see many more cars stuck due to cars being RWD at the time. My dad would pass them in his front wheel drive cars (mid to late 80's). Tires make most of the difference. I still think RWD pickups or cars like Mustangs etc. generally don't perform well when there is a slick coating of snow on the ground. I'll let you know this year how my truck does with the Hankook ATM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back