Winter Truck: RWD w/ locking diff OR 4x4 w/o locking diff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I owned 5 or 6 RWD trucks and 2 RWD Suburbans in NW Pa until we moved to Az. Good winter tires and a couple of hundred pounds of weight in the bed and I went everywhere I needed/wanted to go 99% of the time. 4WD is not a necessity to go in snow.

That said the only downside to 4WD now is the higher price, there really isn't more maintenance unless you beat the snot out of it or it's high miles.

I swore I'd never own another 2wd truck after a couple episodes - in Virginia, where there's not much snow. With a posi and sand in the back, you might be ok, but if there's any hills or you get more than 8-10cm you'll be wishing for 4wd.

2wd with studs.
Honestly how many days a year do you think you really would need 4wd?
I've been stuck many many times in my life and every single time was in a 4wd at work. Not once in my 2wd.
It mostly depends on your situation. My biggest fear is getting trapped at work and not being able to make it home. But that has never happened.

Originally Posted by PotatoFarmer77w

I'm thinking of retiring my current winter truck, which is the 95 chevy silverado in my sig. Nothing wrong with it, just want something newer (around 2011-15ish). I live outside the city and a winter truck is almost a must have for wintertime. I could save a lot $$$ if I don't go after a 4x4, so now I'm considering buying a rear-wheel drive truck with a locking/limited-slip differential. Will my plan work?

(I put winter tires on every vehicle I own)

Thanks!

I've switched over to AWD systems, personally. I had a JGC, which has ELSD's front/rear, along with a 52/48 static torque split and 100% 4-way variability sampled at 100x per second. Basically, the most adaptive AWD you can imagine. I then went with a 98/2% static split 200x per second sample rate capable of locking the center diff almost instantaneously, and I have noticed zero loss in ice/snow capability on similar tires, but the maintenance is FAR less. What I would recommend AGAINST, is RWD anything. LSDs just mean you'll find the ditch just that much easier with RWD.

Originally Posted by CT8
There is virtually no weight in an empty pick up rear . Lots or weight in the front.

Yep. Seen a lot of trucks eat it, and on my way home from work in the ice and snow, there is typically one type of vehicle in ditches: F150 size trucks. They litter the road.

Originally Posted by silveravant
Good winter tires are the most important variable. 4wd doesn't make you turn or stop any better.

agree 100%..i've seen way to many people in 4x4's or a suv that were going way to fast in a snow storm , only to find them piled up a few miles down the road ,tires are important and also speed , just slow down I tend to think there are to many that think just because they have 4 wheel drive they are bullet proof

Last edited:
I have owned F150's in all three in Michigan. Posi rear is better than open diff. just take it easy around corners/turns. four wheel drive is best.
Regardless of type some weight in the back makes a huge difference.
My 4x4 also had a Detroit locker in the rear, you do not want that in a 2 wheel drive on ice!

Last edited:
in the past 25 years I've had 2 4x4 trucks, and 2 RWD trucks with an open diff. While the 4x4 makes starting easy and fun, I've never really needed it. The right tires and some moderate weight in the bed makes driving in snow a breeze. $3-4k extra for 4x4 (and another expensive system to repair) just isn't necessary. And we get a lot of snow in Rochester...

Last edited:
If you're going up a hill with a locking diff, feathering the gas, and one wheel breaks loose, the other wheel's going to get a boost of power and break loose too. Now you're suddenly crabbing sideways with the rear axle sliding down the road crown to the ditch. In the blink of an eye.

Had this happen with my volvo 940, locking diff, "heavy frost" (black ice), summer tires, no existing salt residue on the road because it was November. White knuckler for sure!

Snow tires on open diff 2wd will work okay with a bed full of snow unless you get a bunch of hills you have to stop on, then you'd want 4wd.

You might get by, but I think it would be worth it for the 4wd, if possibly for the resale alone. My old S10 was 2wd with a Detroit style locker and let me tell you, even with a good bit of weight in the bed it was downright scary in the snow. I did it a couple times (around 2") and even once with no weight in the bed when we got caught with a sudden storm in March with about 5" on the road. It climbed the unplowed mountain like a boss, but the first turn I was going in it sideways. Had I needed to stop I woulda been done. Couple other times I just got stuck in my own driveway... This past year I used the Liberty and even with all seasons (brand new) it went through any storm we had. Even had to stop midway up the mountain for some people in cars that got stuck; went around them no issue. That convinced me my next truck had to be 4wd. Maybe I'm a lousy driver, but 4wd made it easier. Just gotta remember it'll help you go, but not stop!

My son used a 2X4 and six 80lb bags of sand from Home Depot in his 2wd F150 with a 4.9 six and 4speed, It did just fine

Originally Posted by Ws6

I'm thinking of retiring my current winter truck, which is the 95 chevy silverado in my sig. Nothing wrong with it, just want something newer (around 2011-15ish). I live outside the city and a winter truck is almost a must have for wintertime. I could save a lot $$$ if I don't go after a 4x4, so now I'm considering buying a rear-wheel drive truck with a locking/limited-slip differential. Will my plan work?

Thanks!

I've switched over to AWD systems, personally. I had a JGC, which has ELSD's front/rear, along with a 52/48 static torque split and 100% 4-way variability sampled at 100x per second. Basically, the most adaptive AWD you can imagine. I then went with a 98/2% static split 200x per second sample rate capable of locking the center diff almost instantaneously, and I have noticed zero loss in ice/snow capability on similar tires, but the maintenance is FAR less. What I would recommend AGAINST, is RWD anything. LSDs just mean you'll find the ditch just that much easier with RWD.

The new AWD systems are fantastic. No fuss and always on.

AWD systems are the best kind of 4WD. 4WD binds up when tires have a good grip of the road. Problem is snow and ice may have patches which need 4WD, but if you leave it in 4WD all the time for a road that is partially iced over in spots, your going to heavily load your drive train since your also going to be driving where tires have good traction. It is especially hard on 4WD when making turns.
It is more accurately called part time 4WD cause you cant leave it in 4WD all the time like you can do with AWD.
I have a 1996 Trooper with a SOTF 4WD, which means I can engage it when I am driving, but it is still going to bind up, Isuzu changed it to TOD, torque on demand in 1998 which has an electrically clutched transfer case which allows for slip when in 4WD.

Mu 2005 Ram 3500 is part time 4WD which can bind up.

AWD with traction control controlled by the computer is the solution for most people. I especially liked watching a video showing how traction control computer individually can put the brakes on a wheel by wheel basis to transfer power to the other wheels.

The new AWD systems are fantastic. No fuss and always on.

For sure. My 08 Forester was good. But my 18 is remarkable. Last winter I went out to try it. I slowed up at a crossroad to torn up a fairly steep hill. Almost no slippage going up the hill. There was around 6" of new snow. The wheels that have traction take the load.

Both can work well especially with some traction sand in rear bed well secured. You get stuck dump and voila you are out.

Trucks take more skill to drive in winter but guessing you possess that. The 4x4 is better if you plan on going deep(snow).

I grew up with 79 F150 in family RWD posi(pre and studded snows and it worked quite well.

I think it was smart for Honda to put their AWD system on the Ridgeline. The Ridgeline may not be as rugged as the other trucks, but when you consider the fact that 90% of the time a truck is driven on pavement, it's not a bad idea. As much as I like the truck I have with the off-road package, it's useless in rain/light covered snow roads unless I put it into 4wd. AWD systems, especially the better ones, are much more ideal for inclement weather. I went with my truck for driving on the beach and moderate off-road use, places I would not take most of the AWD CUV/SUVs. In time I'll likely move back to something more economical and efficient with one of the better AWD systems. Likely a CX-3/5 or Crosstrek.

Thanks!

no. no sub for 4x4 in a pickup in snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back