Wine aging cheap wines

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by OilReport99
Expensive wines are so, because they get better with aging (high tannins). Most wines will degrade after a short period in the bottle. Not to say they're not good, but there's no quality gain in storing them.
Lot's of good wines in the $10-20 range in any supermarket or liquor store.

OP isn't hoping for a quality gain. He's hoping it's still drinkable after a couple years in the basement.

I tasted this wine once. Wife and I were down in South Philly for dinner and arrived early to ensure we found parking. We went to a local bar before dinner. It's didn't look that bad on the outside. But on the inside... Man. What a dive. My wife is a classy chick and stands out in places like this. She can't blend in with her clear skin and bright eyes. We overhear a guy talking loudly on the phone wondering how long it will take to get his bail money back after his court appearance. Another guy at the bar says we should come back later that night after 8 pm because that's when the go-go dancers take the stage. I order a beer and wife orders a class of red wine. The bartender says we'll have open a new bottle and pulls this big jug of Rossi. Oh, it's nothing like the Barefoot Cabernet that we usually drink.

I get it, and I tried to be polite.

Could be fine, probably after only 3 years. Not familiar with this one so try it before, as other said.
I have wine from 1988 that is starting to be less good, but I admit I probably didn't always store it properly. On the other hand I have some homemade wine from 2016 that is still good
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Trav
Might as well age Chateau Aldi.

Or Trader Jose.
smile.gif

Ahhhh the famous $2 Buck Chuck. It's $3 here behind the Iron Curtain . Good enough for me🤗

If you kick the budget up to $7-$8, you can get a pretty decent bottle at Trader Joe's or Costco.

The Carlo Rossi is a "table wine". It's good for casual meals.

Some wines are made to store and age and some are not. Those to store are almost always reds, although some whites can age.

If you live in France, for example, you often have a "cave" to store your wine in for a few years before you drink it. Most wine that you buy in the US is presumably drunk shortly after it is bought, although some reds probably improve after a few years.

I think your Carlo Rossi wine is probably at its peak, if not past. Certainly try it.

Back