Windshield Rain Repellent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried Rain-X in the past, and I hated the results.

The best results I've ever had were using paint sealant, topped by wax. Before I applied them, though I washed the windshield thoroughly, clayed it, washed it again, THEN applied the sealant, wiped down twice with a clean microfiber, applied the wax, wiped with another clean microfiber, and then buffed until I could no longer see any residue. The water just blew off when I drove.

Yes, it took a bit of work, but it was worth it. I should also add that I did not use the wipers even once as long as the water behavior continued, to make sure the wax and sealant were not worn away by the blades.

Aquapel is the only one I bother with. It does need good prep though, I prefer red can Bon Ami followed by Sprayway or similar non-ammoniated glass cleaner.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Have tried many, Aquapel works the best.
this. Polish the windshield then put it on with new wipers. Lasts for a very long time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I should also add that I did not use the wipers even once as long as the water behavior continued, to make sure the wax and sealant were not worn away by the blades.

In my experience, and it varies with different cars (windshield angle ?), I usually had to get up to 35 mph before there was enough wind force to move the water off. It always annoyed my wife as I'd would try NOT to use the wipers and have to tell her, "Wait, just wait...." until I was going fast enough. It is kinda dumb if you're sitting at a stop and so much rainwater is on the windshield that you can't see out. I think in this case though, there's enough water to form a bit of a buffer between the blades and the sealant that you won't wear too much off.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Rain-X 2-in-1 cleaner and repellent, and then windshield washer additive. Works great and no streaking or fogging in my experience.

+1 using it for 20 years. It builds a film slowly and other people riding notice my lack of wiper use.

Whatever you use for the repellent I recommend a good scrubbing with a scrub pad and a foaming cleaner such as the Gunk brand. Then wipe it down with paper towels until it’s dry. Then apply the repellent.

I mentioned that the wind just blew the water off the windshield while I was driving. What I didn't mention was that the windshield was slick enough with the sealant and wax, that even while I was sitting still, the water mostly ran off... enough such that I could still see fine even sitting still.

I like Rain-X.
Must be applied properly to a very clean windshield.
It takes a bit of work to apply it properly or it will leave a film.
I clean the rubber squeegee on my wipers with Rain-X and a clean
cotton towel. You'll be amazed at the dirt that comes off the rubber.
Rain-X washer solvent, too.
Valeo wipers replacements are exact OEM replacements for my Tundra.
No noise and great in rain or snow.

The Sealant/wax that I put on the windshield was some time ago. It lasted a while, but eventually wore off. Spray wax seems to do okay but doesn't last very long.

Next up is a more long-term solution. I've picked up a combo glass kit from GTechniq - G1/G2 Clear Vision Smart Glass - Which includes both a special glass cleaner (G2) and a small bottle of glass coating.

From what I've read, it's supposed to last quite a long time. Guess we'll see.

I agree completely with this. Works great. No film, no chattering wiper blades.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
On a heavy rainy day I don't mind getting behind a truck and trailer on the highway, being bombarded by rain and watching the rain beading and zooming off the windshield WITHOUT the wipers on.

I use to use Rain Vision, the BEST I've found, but it seems they've gone out of business. I won't use Rain-X as it leaves a fog film on the windshield in rain and humidity conditions. Over the years I've tried some other products, all completely useless, Castrol Super Clean Accuvision, Glass Shield.and

I've never tried car polish or car wax. Should I?

For cleaning prior to using these I use Windex or such, followed by No Streak Glass Polish, the Best I've found, trying to use up Storer Invisible Glass.

What product have you found as a rain repellent that works!

If you're seeing a visible fog/film on your windshield after applying Rain-X, then you're not wiping it off well enough after you've applied it. When applied correctly, I haven't found anything that works as well, or looks as good as Rain-X...

I tried that stuff once. It did absolutely nothing...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi

I tried that stuff once. It did absolutely nothing...

I suspect you may have ended up with the 'fake' Aquapel, unfortunately. There's a LOT of counterfeit offerings of it online. The genuine stuff works great.

Originally Posted By: twoheeldrive
I use the Rain-X washer fluid. It leaves a rain repellent coating on the glass. No streaking. I applied Rain-X from the little yellow bottle first, but haven't had to re-apply it. It may work without applying a Rain-X base.

This. Apply that initial coat manually, then use Rain-x (or any other "water beading") washer fluid to keep the water repellancy in tact. That being said, using regular washer fluid will eat at Rain-x almost immediately and you'll lose the effects. It's almost required to use rain-x washer fluid if using Rain-x window treatment. Been using Rain-x for a decade now with no issues, can't drive in the rain without it anymore. It's absolutely miserable driving another person's car without it (can't see anything!)

I would do a search for Rain X windshield fluid playing havoc with the sensors in the fluid reservoirs. It appears to be a common problem.

Anyone who has issues with a rain repellent product needs to clean their windshield either use a razer blade or 0000 steel wool then apply your repellant. If you have gunk on your windshield the product you are using wont wont
laugh.gif

Yep. I clean my windshield with clay after a glass cleaner and towel cleaning. Clean it again with a clean towel and then apply rain x. The trick with Rain X is to buff it with a damp towel first and then a clean dry towel and add a little muscle. Works great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back