Windows 10 Pro license for $39.99

Yeah, no reason to be afraid of win 10. If your machine runs win7 just fine, win10 will run the same. May even run a bit better in some regards.

But to me it's not about how win 10 runs, but about security and being up to date. Win 7 is dead in that regard, no reason to use it if it is connected to a network.

I'd still be a W7 user if it wasn't such a pain to sideload SSD drivers onto the install media. With SSDs being so common now...

For those that want a legit and transferable win 10 license.
The sale is going on for three more days.

The OEM license or if you upgraded from win 7, 8 or 8.1 is tied to the motherboard, so it will not transfer to another computer or if the motherboard is upgraded.

https://software.pcworld.com/p43169-windows_10_professional

Is that a promise? A while back, in the XP days, I was able to call microsoft's 800 number when I upgraded my mobo and they validated me.

Built my kid a computer back in July, came with a W7 sticker, had an ISO from the "digital river" (now gone), put W7 on, activated, then did the free W10 upgrade one can find by googling.

Well, I'm pretty sure you can still upgrade old windows 7 keys, by just entering the old windows 7 key into the windows 10 installation.

If you don't have a key you can get one for like four bucks on ebay.

Microsoft wants you to use the new OS as they profit by selling your Software as a service offerings. Them forcing you to stick with windows 7 makes them no additional money.

Let me clarify this earlier post. I have W10 on my work computer and really like it. I'm on the fence of changing my home computer to W10 from W7. I worry that I will run into a bunch of issues changing it.

I'm still on the fence regarding changing my current W7 desktop to W10.

Is that a promise? A while back, in the XP days, I was able to call microsoft's 800 number when I upgraded my mobo and they validated me.

Built my kid a computer back in July, came with a W7 sticker, had an ISO from the "digital river" (now gone), put W7 on, activated, then did the free W10 upgrade one can find by googling.
With Microsoft there are no promises lol.
I also remember calling the 800 number when I had to reinstall XP, no hardware changes.
And yes, if you have a valid win7 installation or key, you can definitely use that. That's how I upgraded my current computer.
But I'm planning a new build for the kids and I don't have another win 7 key I could use.

Also, there really is no telling how long microsoft will allow to use win7 keys to activate win10. They can stop it an any time. $40 is for a pro version is a pretty good deal IMO.

W10 Home is $30. I don't personally have a need for Pro, and it's likely that neither do most of you.
I am a Linux guy but my wife has a Win10 laptop she needs for her job as a teacher. It is Win10 Pro and I sure appreciate that is sports BitLocker and Remote Desktop, which Home does not.

Built my kid a computer back in July, came with a W7 sticker, had an ISO from the "digital river" (now gone)
You built a computer that came with a Win7 sticker (key) ? What does that mean ? If you build a computer, you have to buy a standalone copy or license. The only non-upgradeable versions are OEM copies that are pre-installed by the computer manufacturer.

I am a Linux guy but my wife has a Win10 laptop she needs for her job as a teacher. It is Win10 Pro and I sure appreciate that is sports BitLocker and Remote Desktop, which Home does not.
Yeah, for $10 more dollars, there's little harm in going the Pro route vs Home.

You built a computer that came with a Win7 sticker (key) ? What does that mean ? If you build a computer, you have to buy a standalone copy or license. The only non-upgradeable versions are OEM copies that are pre-installed by the computer manufacturer.

The used case had a W7 sticker. It was a "substantial upgrade."

I like windows 10. That being said one of my desktops kicked the bucket and I ordered new board, processor, ram and powerpack. It was 7 years old so it was due. Now the fun starts with reactivating Windows 10 with the old drives.

Back