Williams Tools Made in Taiwan

When did Williams start having sockets made in Asia? Always thought this Snap-On company was all Made in USA? Bummer. I am sure these impact sockets will work out fine, but would have ordered Proto or Armstrong instead if I knew they were from Taiwan.

[Linked Image]

I just bought several sets of Willams Sockets.

I scrolled through the catalogue to make certain the sets I bought were made in the USA.

That said, I'm certain that the Taiwanese sockets are of excellent quality. I've seen excellent quality tools from Taiwan, it's all in who makes them, the contract and the QC.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Made in USA Williams will have letters in the model number, where import has just numbers.

Good info. Thank you.

Taiwan is good. Armstrong does not exist. Proto USA is better (Proto also makes some tools in Taiwan!)

Originally Posted by Astro14
...it's all in who makes them, the contract and the QC.

This applies to Chinese-made parts as well. Shocking to many and many will flat out not accept that, but it's true.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Taiwan is the best of Asia for metal stuff, they make 67% of the worlds threaded fasteners, so tools would be no problemo.

Originally Posted by OilReport99
Taiwan is good. Armstrong does not exist. Proto USA is better (Proto also makes some tools in Taiwan!)
It's good, Tekton and Astro Pneumatic make awesome tools in Taiwan. However If I want Taiwan, I can get it at Princess Auto.

I understand OP's concerns. I'm not buying Williams to get the same quality I can get at a box store. I'm buying Williams because I care about COO. Most well known USA tool companies have low cost import lines to avoid sticker shock on box store shelves, even companies that market COO heavily like Estwing.

I have US made Williams tools and their tools made in Taiwan. They're top shelf tools.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

This applies to Chinese-made parts as well. Shocking to many and many will flat out not accept that, but it's true.

Working with a guy that was from Taiwan (not in anything related to parts manufacturing) even he said there was a clear difference in quality of craftsmanship of stuff from Taiwan compared to China, especially in electronics. Its in the culture. Not saying China can't make any of good quality (i.e. iPhone) but you get what you pay.for and China in general is cheaper than other places for a lot of stuff, hence why they get a bad reputation.

That being said I'd prefer to buy anything made in Taiwan over China.

Blue Point another Snap on division has been making tools in Asia for decades also so its nothing new. Taiwan made tools can be very good quality, they own the air tool market outright.

Originally Posted by SVTCobra
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Working with a guy that was from Taiwan (not in anything related to parts manufacturing) even he said there was a clear difference in quality of craftsmanship of stuff from Taiwan compared to China, especially in electronics. Its in the culture. Not saying China can't make any of good quality (i.e. iPhone) but you get what you pay.for and China in general is cheaper than other places for a lot of stuff, hence why they get a bad reputation.

That being said I'd prefer to buy anything made in Taiwan over China.

If I had my druthers , I would not buy anything from the Chi-Coms . But , I am cheap . So , there lies the conflict .

I too prefer USA made tools , but often backslide . At my age , many of the tools I buy are specialty tools & I may only use it once . If it lasts through that , I guess it does not matter .

If I was still a young Pup , I like to think it would be a different story . Back in the day , I purchased mostly Craftsman . Latter , Kline .

I bought a Williams larger crescent wrench a few years ago and it is made in China. Very nice quality as good as anything. All I see is a ship that has sailed and greed launched it.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Probably nothing wrong with them being made in Taiwan as long as they are priced accordingly.

X2

I'm thinking Grey Pneumatic, Sunex or evening HF might be the better buy depending on price.

Back