Will You Jump Someone Else's Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past, I would "always" jump someone else's car. I didn't think twice about it. I recently have come to the understanding that I could really mess up someone's car including my own in doing so. There are these horror stories of someone's electrical components being destroyed either on the giving or receiving end of the cables.

What is your feeling on this? Will you jump a complete stranger's car? Do you just stick with people you know like co-workers? Will you only do family? Or will you only do your own vehicles?

Yes, of course. If it's done right no problem. I have helped people in a fix many times with jump starting.

Originally Posted by Kira
Someone recently asked this question. The answers were realistic, fatalistic, sardonic and paranoid.

All in all, a healthy mix.

OOPs, my bad. Sorry. I'll do a search. Maybe I can find it. I'll need a dictionary to figure out what "sardonic" means. Your post is making me realistically paranoid.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
No. I don't want to be falsely accused of screwing up their already screwed up electronics. Especially if I were driving my 4-series.

Sure. I carry a portable battery pack and don't mind helping someone out.

Depends. It is getting to the point where I don't want to. Fear of breaking something. These newer cars seem to be worse in terms of "do things in this process" and I don't want to be on the hook for anything, not when AAA is around & has insurance for this sort of thing.

I might feel "obligated" to help a friend, but I don't feel obligated to help strangers. It's a nice gesture but if I don't feel comfortable in helping then I don't offer the help in the first place, nor would I render it if asked. I don't like using "comfort" as a criteria but one has to draw a line someplace.

Ok, I read the other thread. I want to focus on just the electrical/mechanical side. How many of you would or would not jump a car out of fear of damaging your car or theirs?

Not out of fear of bodily injury, robbery, kidnapping, etc. Those are definitely legitimate concerns.

But here I am just interested in how much concern you have over damaging one of the cars.

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
With a jump pack: anyone who I have time to help.

With jumpers: just my wife.

Good point. Well, it's actually an excellent point!

I used to jump start people all the time. Haven't done it much at all recently, only because of a lack of opportunity. Cars in general are a lot more reliable and it's been a long time since I've run across anyone needing a jump start.

Originally Posted by tig1
Yes, of course. If it's done right no problem. I have helped people in a fix many times with jump starting.

This.

Originally Posted by tig1
Yes, of course. If it's done right no problem...

THIS ^^
BUT ... Many people do not know how to jump vehicles properly anymore.

Originally Posted by Gebo
But here I am just interested in how much concern you have over damaging one of the cars.

Zero Concern. There will never be a "chance of damage" if it is done PROPERLY.

Originally Posted by Langanobob
Cars in general are a lot more reliable and it's been a long time since I've run across anyone needing a jump start.

Same here - - - It has been years.

A former coworker fried the electronics in his car trying to jump another vehicle. I think he had the bright idea to take a battery cable off the battery while his engine was running to jump from just the battery. I'm guessing that without the battery for a voltage reference, the alternator voltage may have gone wild. His "precaution" may have caused the problem he feared.

I jump started a car for a lady the other day while it was raining pretty hard.
Otherwise she was stranded. She was very appreciative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back