Will using softened water to wash car cause rust?

I had this discussion with my boss 20 years ago and researched it and we determined it would not, however I am now questioning this again. It really doesn't matter because its not like I have much of a choice, or like my vehicles are super special, just curious more than anything.

I believe we determined that the amount of sodium was negligible and it was still better than a large amount of iron in the water or the salt on the vehicle from the roadway in winter.

I always flush inaccesable areas and this is what had me thinking about it again.

Don't get your car washed at a wash that pulls it through on a mechanical track. Convinced it makes the car dirtier.

Probably not. I do remember using the Mr. Clean AutoDry car wash system before. It was hooked up to a hose and came with a wash, a rinse with normal tap water, then a final rinse step (more like a mist) using an ion exchange water softener cartridge. The water was supposed to bead off, but then the softened water wasn't supposed to spot. I found it worked pretty well.

I live in FL and have softened water. No rust what so ever over the last 40 years.

That is, until I drove my Jag to PA for 2 winters, then the rust started. I'm dealing with it as I find it.

I use Optimum No Rinse and don't have to worry about the acidic water, chlorinated water, sodium, etc.. I still rinse the undercarriage and apply Fluid Film at least twice a year. The Optimum is a polymer product that encapsulate dirt particles to prevent scratches instead of rubbing them into the finish. I clean my vehicle in the garage. When its done it looks brand new. Traditional wash methods introduce a wide variety of problems with finishes.

Water softeners use salt. When I had my woodworker business I would tear out kitchens and bathrooms that had water softeners and the copper pipes were all green. So who knows.

I’m not sure how your outside faucets are piped, but normally, in a house with water softener, the water going through the softener is not piped to the outdoor faucets. It’s usually just the indoor faucets. Also, the corrosive chlorides are rejected down into your sewer drain, and are not in your softened water. The whole idea of a water softener is to replace magnesium and calcium ions with sodium ions. The sodium ions in the softened water are not corrosive.

So you’re saying the metal pipes are tuning green on the outside due to the soft water on the inside?

Don't understand why but yes I noticed this on most of the remodels and kitchens. Its a similar look if you have copper in contact with concrete. I don't have an explanation for it. All I know is slab on grade you don't want leaks especially with copper. This is the main reason I didn't install a softener when I built my home. I could have went with PVC pipe. I hate water spots especially on granite.

Here is some information on the softening of water. Its more information that may be useful. In Florida we have hard water so it would leave me to believe the issue is lack of maintenance with the softener than the softener itself.

Here is some information on the softening of water. Its more information that may be useful. In Florida we have hard water so it would leave me to believe the issue is lack of maintenance with the softener than the softener itself.
Yeah I know how water softening works, I have a minor in Chemistry and we studied ion exchange several times in some classes.

Beware of some of what that website claims is bad about traditional softeners, they want to sell you stuff and are amplifying the concerns quite a bit as a sales tactic.

Rain is pretty soft and doesn’t hurt much. My car gets washed when it rains but I really need to try harder with that neglect.

Yeah I know how water softening works, I have a minor in Chemistry and we studied ion exchange several times in some classes.

Beware of some of what that website claims is bad about traditional softeners, they want to sell you stuff and are amplifying the concerns quite a bit as a sales tactic.

Not sure what the reactions are. Its not something I want to investigate further. I just know somethings are better to keep simple.

My well water is so hard it leaves spots everywhere. I just ordered this, I'm
71%2Bm2NKNxGL._AC_SL500_.jpg
going to try eagle one wax as you dry in it as a surfactant rinse.

Back