Will moving steering via wheel hubs cause harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the pads rotors and calipers front and back on my work truck that I just bought recently, 2012 F150 2wd with 154k. One of my friends helped me to make the process go faster. He was doing the driver side front, and had the rotor, caliper and pads on. The whole assembly was turned to the passenger side, so he grabbed it by hand and turned it so it would face out so he could put the tire on. I was talking to him and as he did it I noticed the steering wheel freespin very quickly, as one would expect, as he turned it. It locked in place, as would be expected. We finished the job and test drove it after. All seemed fine. My question is, could the steering wheel spinning so fast with the truck not started have caused any unseen damage?

I tend to worry too much when it comes to vehicles, I am aware.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt that any harm was done as I've done the exact same thing 100s of times. ATMOF, this is how I bleed out air after flushing/replacing P/S fluid.

2012 f150 has electric power steering. The controller can be finicky about work done without the battery being disconnected. If you didn't get any warnings or a CEL with PS codes thrown, you got away with it. There is no fluid in the system.

Last edited:
This isn't about pads and rotors, it's about moving electric steering.

And it'll be fine.

No harm done. The EPS assist motor is separate from the rack or column and you have to be able to turn the wheel in the event of an assist system failure.

Where there is a spiral cable in the steering column for the airbag and wheel-mounted controls, they are damaged only if the steering shaft turns without being mounted to the steering gear or if the cable isn't recentered prior to reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back