Will FoMoCo Kill off the Lincoln Brand?

They will have to differentiate Lincoln from Ford. My dad and I were talking about this a while back. When a Ford Fiesta has heated seats where do you go from there when it comes to luxury? I don't think they'll get rid of more than re-invent Lincoln.

No. Thanks to the current events- we will see the end of Lincoln soon. Word out of Dearborn is that we might see another model year or two. One thought was to make them EVs, but Ford wants to stick with trucks and EVs as their focus now....

I don't think Ford will ditch Lincoln....if they do it will be admitting that they can't compete. The whole idea of Ford being a truck-only company is a mistake in my opinion.

*I believe that legacy costs are making it difficult to compete with companies like Hyundai/Kia etc...

Nowadays if you want a new car and you’re a Ford person, Lincoln is the only way right? Do they still make the Taurus equivalent or are they strictly cross overs?

Nowadays if you want a new car and you’re a Ford person, Lincoln is the only way right? Do they still make the Taurus equivalent or are they strictly cross overs?
they eliminated the MKS at the same time as the the Taurus. (produced together, along with the explorer, at Chicago)
MKZ is tied to the Fusion, pretty sure the end of production has already been announced, if not passed.( Produced on the same lines in Hermosilo, MX)
and IIRC they announced that either the 2020, or 2021 MY would be the end of the Continental (Produced at Flat Rock, Mi, along side the Mustang)

interestingly, about the Continental, it's basically a stretched Fusion.... just like the 7th Gen Taurus that China got starting in '16, but we never did...

Lincolns are all over around here... back when Mercury was still around, the folks who work at the Ford engine plant here mostly bought Mercury's, when Mercury went away, they switched to Lincolns...

I would be surprised if they kill Lincoln but you won't see Lincoln cars any more but as Buick has become and Cadillac is moving toward a pure CUV and SUV brand. The Navigator and the new Aviator are selling well.

I can go...months...many months...possibly a year between seeing a single Lincoln in the wild. Perhaps they're more popular elsewhere but here in MA they are very rare. Hard to belive on that scale they are a money maker.

Why would Ford kill off Lincoln so soon after all of the money they've spent on development of basically an entire new line-up? The new Lincolns get rave reviews because for once Ford HAS differentiated it from the regular line-up and taken the Navigator past a gussied up Expedition. I don't see too many around here but my area is GM land. Given time, I think you'll start seeing more.

My brain is still imprinted on the days gone by when a Caddy or a Lincoln were large cars, not these sissy things they try to pawn off on folks today...

The late model Cadillac and Lincoln cars (not SUV or crossover vehicles) that I have had traded in at the dealerships I have worked at in recent years IMO are what I would describe as high end rental cars. I have simply not been impressed by them. The newest Lincoln Continental is a car that has some appeal to me but in so many ways it just seems dated in design though being a relatively new platform.

I feel like these two brands, Mercedes as well, are living off name recognition and a general perception that consumers identify them with. The reality is that their products just are not as good and not at all as competitive as they once were known to be in the market.

Many autos IMHO are just clones of each other, who can tell one apart really? At a distance they all look alike, in the 50s and 60s cars had a definite personality ,,,,and that was yesterday , and yesterdays gone...

Production of the Lincoln Nautilus (made on the same line as the Ford Edge) and Aviator (based on current Explorer) is moving to China by 2022. There are also plans for 3 additional Lincoln models to be made in China as well. It will probably reach the point where all Lincolns are made in China and then shipped back to the United States. Kind of sad, really. If sales really fall off in the US, they can just sell them overseas I suppose. China loves American "luxury" vehicles like Buick and Lincoln.

Lincolns are plentiful in my neck of the woods. Lots of MKC compact crossovers and MKZ sedans on the road. A friend of mine recently traded his 2008 MB E350 for a 2017 CPO Lincoln MKZ AWD. He said the interior on the Lincoln is not as "plush" as his old E350, but otherwise he likes the Lincoln better overall in terms of ride and handling. His MKZ is a good looking car.

I looked at a new MKC a couple of years ago, but found the front seats way too firm for daily driver use. Very Euro-inspired. You basically sit on top of the seat, not in the seat, if that makes sense. Very little cushioning. Not sure if that has changed since it became the Corsair, or if the seats are still super firm. Lincolns are a solid CPO buy as long as they don't have the 3.5L or 3.7L V6 engine.

Lincoln has lost its way. They make nothing appealing anymore. Cadillac does a better job IMO. Lincoln is killing off the Continental and will kill off the MKZ I think, once they kill off the Fusion next year. Then they will only have rebadges of Ford SUVS. I would rather just own a Ford Escape than an overpriced Lincoln equivalent.

Once upon a time, Cadillac and Lincoln would compete with the best the world had to offer. Now, they can barely get out of their own way.

As I stated earlier....legacy costs make it hard to compete.....Ford and GM have to pay pensions and medical costs for thousands of retirees.....it makes it difficult to find money for product development....I can't believe that America can't compete with South Korea etc...if all else was equal.

PS: Germany is a very wealthy country...and yet they haven't been paying their mandated 2% of GDP into NATO....I wonder why? It's one of the reasons I wouldn't buy a BMW of MB or VW....I'd probably buy a Lincoln Continental with the V6 turbo if I was in the market for a luxury vehicle.....

Back