WiFi Network Monitoring Tool

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I'm looking for a free WiFi network monitoring tool that I can leave running all the time so it will log all activity on my network - ie, what devices are jumping on and off and at what times, etc.

Anyone here using something like that? Google searching shows there are many available tools out there, but I'm wondering if someone can recommend one that they have used that doesn't have adware, etc included and is easy to use.

Wireshark will do that, but you have a steep learning curve with any program that gives you the information you are asking for.
Wireshark
Wireshark will only monitor the traffic going through the device that it is set up on. To monitor everything going out your internet connection, you will need to set up a firewall such as pfSense or IP cop or SmoothWall.

Last edited:
I'm just looking for a tool that will monitor and log all the Wi-Fi devices (and their IPs, MAC address, etc) that are on my network in real time. I just see what devices are jumping on and off the network at all times and be able to bring up a log of that and look at the info.

I don't think I need something as powerful as Wireshark ... I don't want to traffic sniff packets.

Most wireless routers have their own app that you can monitor your wireless network activity. There is no third party program that I'm aware of that can monitor wifi connections in short of the routers config website - connected devices page.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I'm just looking for a tool that will monitor and log all the Wi-Fi devices (and their IPs, MAC address, etc) that are on my network in real time. I just see what devices are jumping on and off the network at all times and be able to bring up a log of that and look at the info.

I don't think I need something as powerful as Wireshark ... I don't want to traffic sniff packets.

You could set filters on Wireshark, it also lets you save what it picked up as a log.

I'm looking for a free WiFi network monitoring tool that I can leave running all the time so it will log all activity on my network - ie, what devices are jumping on and off and at what times, etc.

Doesn't your router have logging functionality to do this? Most do.

If it doesn't, depending on what router you have, you may be able to install aftermarket firmware that does have good logging capabilities.

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin
Most wireless routers have their own app that you can monitor your wireless network activity. There is no third party program that I'm aware of that can monitor wifi connections in short of the routers config website - connected devices page.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Doesn't your router have logging functionality to do this? Most do.

If it doesn't, depending on what router you have, you may be able to install aftermarket firmware that does have good logging capabilities.

Yes, my router can capture a system useage log, but it's just saved in a .txt file and is very hard to look through to get a good grasp on what's going on in terms of devices on and off the network.

Here's a couple of free Wi-Fi network monitoring tools I found ... guess I'll try them out and see if they give what I'm looking for.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html

https://securityxploded.com/wifi-network-monitor.php

There are a lot of gotchas when doing this kind of monitoring over the air. For instance...do you have 2.4 and 5ghz networks? If so, you'll need a device dedicated for each band, otherwise you're going to miss management frames as the only way to use a single device and watch both bands is to channel hop. So, while you're listening on 2.4, stuff may be happening on 5ghz that you're missing. This is just the tip of the iceberg of potential gaps in coverage, too.

The best way to do this level of monitoring is via the log file on your router/access point.

Originally Posted by cpayne5
There are a lot of gotchas when doing this kind of monitoring over the air. For instance...do you have 2.4 and 5ghz networks? If so, you'll need a device dedicated for each band, otherwise you're going to miss management frames as the only way to use a single device and watch both bands is to channel hop. So, while you're listening on 2.4, stuff may be happening on 5ghz that you're missing. This is just the tip of the iceberg of potential gaps in coverage, too.

The best way to do this level of monitoring is via the log file on your router/access point.

I don't want something that's "sniffing the air" for packets, etc. I just want something that can simply log similar info that the modem/router system log can see, but in a better laid out format and logs that are easier to glean through.

If you read the description of the securityxploded "wifi network monitor" tool link I gave above, it sounds like maybe what I'm looking for. Guess I'll just download it and give it a try.

Yeah, and this thread has me wanting to build a pfSense box.

Guess I'll just download it and give it a try.

Please, report back with your opinion of the software.

Originally Posted by terry274

Yeah, and this thread has me wanting to build a pfSense box.

You won't be disappointed. pfSense, or its fork OPNsense. Both are great.

Originally Posted by OilReport99

This is the first I have heard of OPNsense. ...trots off to check it out

Originally Posted by terry274
Originally Posted by OilReport99

This is the first I have heard of OPNsense. ...trots off to check it out

It's solid. In fact, Netgate - the owner of pfSense - tried hard to discredit them. Yeah, it's that good.

Both are awesome!

I don't want something that's "sniffing the air" for packets, etc. I just want something that can simply log similar info that the modem/router system log can see, but in a better laid out format and logs that are easier to glean through.

If you read the description of the securityxploded "wifi network monitor" tool link I gave above, it sounds like maybe what I'm looking for. Guess I'll just download it and give it a try.

Looks like that tool just creates a lists of active hosts on the network. You can use nmap to do the same thing. Schedule it and then compare results to determine when hosts go up/down.
thumbsup2.gif

So I downloaded and tried the network scanning tool called "Wireless Network Watcher" - link to the website below.

You don't even have to install it, just simply run the .exe file. Super simple, and it found all of my Wi-Fi devices. You can set up a few options (in the "Options > Advanced Options" menu), one of them being a simple log at whatever interval you want it to save at and under whatever filename you want. The saved logs go into the folder that the .exe file resides in.

It scans your entire IP range to look for connected devices on your network. I turned some of my Wi-Fi devices on and off, and it saw that action taking place. If someone jumped on my network somehow I should be able to see a device show up that's not in my list. Super simple, but it gives some insight to what devices are actively running on your network. I really like that it runs from simply launching the .exe file.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_network_watcher.html

Back