Wife’s Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's 2008 Ford Edge takes 6 quarts 5W-20. There were no Supertech 5qt 5W-20 jugs left. The Mobil conventional was only a few cents more anyways.

All for under $25 CAN at Wally.

Now isn't this a cheap a$$ mis-mash oil change (different oils) with an orange can to boot?

Just don't tell her I put Pennzoil Platinum with FRAM Ultra in my F-150.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
But if she isn't a dumb as you think she is you will rue the day bud.

It's not me who thinks she is dumb, bud!

Originally Posted by jqgz
In Canada you'd see fuel economy benefits from using 0w-20

Says who?

On the oil cap it says 5W-20 and that's all it's ever gotten since buying it new 11 years ago. If I go 0W-20, that means buying synthetic which I'm not doing since all it's ever gotten is conventional.

It was -21 C (-6 F) here today and it started and ran fine as always.

Originally Posted by KevGuy
In Canada you'd see fuel economy benefits from using 0w-20

Says who?

On the oil cap it says 5W-20 and that's all it's ever gotten since buying it new 11 years ago. If I go 0W-20, that means buying synthetic which I'm not doing since all it's ever gotten is conventional.

It was -21 C (-6 F) here today and it started and ran fine as always.

To each their own but man, living in northern Ontario myself....I would put nothing but synthetic in my winter vehicles. At -35 my mothers CRV would always be a struggle to start 2007....in 2011 I switched her over to synthetic, and you can instantly tell at that temp how easier the engine not only cranks, but makes very limited valve train noise compared to when she was on Dino.

Just watch cold pour tests at that temp range. I don't care if it's for 5 seconds let alone prolly more towards a minute before everything flowing like it needs to be. Makes me cringe! Unless you have a block heater?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GSCJR
Not anymore! That single quart is synthetic!

I have a feeling that Mobil stuff is semi-synthetic anyways.

Exxon-Mobil prides itself in being the only base stocks that can make SN/SN+ with group II.

Last edited:
Wife's 2008 Ford Edge takes 6 quarts 5W-20. There were no Supertech 5qt 5W-20 jugs left. The Mobil conventional was only a few cents more anyways.

All for under $25 CAN at Wally.

Now isn't this a cheap a$$ mis-mash oil change (different oils) with an orange can to boot?

Just don't tell her I put Pennzoil Platinum with FRAM Ultra in my F-150.

[Linked Image]

Be careful. She maybe swapping the oils in the garage.
lol.gif

Also don't talk price with her ...

I wanted to get rid of some of my excess oil in the garage and my wife got an oil change with Chevron Supreme (one of my favorite dino) and she asked aren't these the cheap stuff? She got M1 EP before that but I was pretty impressed that she remembered the color of the jugs and most likely what she had heard from me! I must have said that I use the cheap stuff in our old cars ...
She also said the car was quiet after an oil change with PP!

Originally Posted by pitzel
I always like to show this video to my northern friends:

https://youtu.be/v9_UPrrboQw?t=279

Parts of Saskatchewan routinely go colder than -35C. Even if the car actually starts, the amount of time for actual oil to reach the components could considerable.

Great video
beer3.gif

They may start and run in winter cold, but adequate lube for longevity is compromised. I did my own cold 'flow test' as a young pup a long time ago with Conoco Polar and since have always felt that sub zero cold lube flow important.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
keep an eye on it. You might like it so much you start using it yourself,

My F-150 has the Ecoboost engine. Due to the twin turbos and the high compression ratio with Direct Injection, I will always use synthetic.

You're doing yourself a disservice by running 5w-20 and conventional.

Oh no, my engine is going to wreck itself for putting 5W-20 as recommended by Ford!

Next I guess you are going to tell me that I'm doing myself a disservice for using an orange can for a filter?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back