Wife’s Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by KevGuy
Originally Posted by jqgz
You're doing yourself a disservice by running 5w-20 and conventional.
Oh no, my engine is going to wreck itself for putting 5W-20 as recommended by Ford!

Next I guess you are going to tell me that I'm doing myself a disservice for using an orange can for a filter?

No matter what people use, someone will find and point out fault with it.... It's pathetic and sad.

There is a plethora of info out there showing the benefits of using even a cheap group III full synthetic. Yes Ford said your engine will run 5w-20. They also said the Pinto was built intelligently.

There is a plethora of info out there showing the benefits of using even a cheap group III full synthetic. Yes Ford said your engine will run 5w-20. They also said the Pinto was built intelligently.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

https://youtu.be/tYkg0oDUXs8?t=331
Point: used synthetic flows closer to clean oil than does used conventional

https://youtu.be/680ZZZRgOqM?t=5
Point: synthetic shines in cold temps, like you get in Canada

https://youtu.be/VdZ9vCXh_50?t=132
Point: 0w-anything flows better in cold than 5w-anything

If you lived in Los Angeles or Miami I would say run 5w-20 and move on, but you live in the cold parts!

Please educate yourself about MRV and CCS testing and what it means for the winter rating of motor oils.
The reason these test were devised was to better represent what is happening to the oil at the pick up tube and once it is pumped.

If I remember correctly, pour point is used mostly to categorize base stocks, but i could be wrong on this.

Those videos show how oil flows out of a container at those temperatures, not how they behave in an engine. Flow is largely irrelevant in an engine and as long as it flows to the oil pump pickup screen it will flow in the engine.

And when talking about winter grades everything is highly temperature dependent. The winter rating is agnostic to the base stock composition, as long as it passes the requirements for a specific rating then it is labeled as such.

What would you all say if I told you we park in a heated garage each night?

They turn around and say "WeLl YoU dOnT aLwAyS hAvE a HeAtEd GaRaGe..."

Let the naysayers say nay. Bunch of grumps. An inexpensive oil service that works for you is an inexpensive oil service that works for you.

You could have posted an Ultra and some Pennzoil Platinum and someone would give you a hard time for not using Amsoil.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
What would you all say if I told you we park in a heated garage each night?

They turn around and say "WeLl YoU dOnT aLwAyS hAvE a HeAtEd GaRaGe..."

Let the naysayers say nay. Bunch of grumps. An inexpensive oil service that works for you is an inexpensive oil service that works for you.

You could have posted an Ultra and some Pennzoil Platinum and someone would give you a hard time for not using Amsoil.

True...there is no pleasing everyone.

In Canada you'd see fuel economy benefits from using 0w-20

Says who?

On the oil cap it says 5W-20 and that's all it's ever gotten since buying it new 11 years ago. If I go 0W-20, that means buying synthetic which I'm not doing since all it's ever gotten is conventional.

It was -21 C (-6 F) here today and it started and ran fine as always.

Which brand of conventional are you using? It's probably a synth-blend you are using.

My bad I should have read the first page of your post.

Last edited:
That Mobil super is a synthetic blend.

Save yourself some coin and stock upon black Friday at Walmart. They should have VWB jugs on sale for a good price.last year they were $11.88 each.

VWB is approx 30% synthetic blend.

Originally Posted by JC1

Save yourself some coin and stock upon black Friday at Walmart. They should have VWB jugs on sale for a good price.last year they were $11.88 each.

The Mobil super jug was $15 approx
The Supertech quart was approx $4.60
The orange can was about approx $5.50

Black Friday is late this year, November 29.

Originally Posted by JC1

I wonder if I can get some FRAM orange cans on sale during Black Friday?

Canadians jousting by posts. All so polite.
crackmeup2.gif
08.gif

In all seriousness I love Canada and the Canadian people are great.
08.gif

Originally Posted by AC1DD
crackmeup2.gif
08.gif

08.gif

Nice thing for you to say.

Too bad our narcissistic Prime Minister is doing a good job of eroding that good nature out of Canadians.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AC1DD
crackmeup2.gif
08.gif

08.gif

Nice thing for you to say.

Too bad our narcissistic Prime Minister is doing a good job of eroding that good nature out of Canadians.

[Linked Image]

A narcissistic leader, unheard of. Oh, never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back