Why on Earth are 26"x4" fat tires so expensive???

Is there a rule for max width for a given rim width? I have a 29 inch wheel and assuming a tire clears the fork and frame can I go wider on my current rim?

Is there a rule for max width for a given rim width? I have a 29 inch wheel and assuming a tire clears the fork and frame can I go wider on my current rim?

Yes, ETRO standards have just been updated. You can check out the details here: http://engineerstalk.mavic.com/en/the-right-tyre-width-on-the-right-rim-width/

Note the chart is for tubeless. With tubes, pressure can be about 15% higher. The measurements are inner rim width.

You can put a pretty wide tire on a pretty wide rim. For instance, a 2.8" tire will fit a 29mm INNER width rim. If you have an old 29'er, it may have a rim ~19mm inner width, which was the industry standard forever... For those rims, I'd keep it to 29x2.4. If your fork is standard 100mm spacing and your frame was designed for standard 2.1" tires, about 2.4" is going to be the max before you'll run into clearance issues somewhere--frame/fork, even the front derailleur if you're using one.

My bike is a 2012 Cannondale Flash 2 29er. The rim has a sticker for different width tire pressures with 2.3 being the largest. The outer measurement of the rim is showing at 29.5mm from what I can find online. Looks like a 2.3 is about as wide as I’d go as the front derailleur clearance is tight. The lefty fork has about a half inch of clearance. Thanks for the input. Next bike will hopefully be a single chainring full suspension rig.

I'm sure prices and selection are better in the States, but when I bought the studded tires in March, 2017, the only ones in town (and I tried several bike shops) were the North45s. The 4.0"s ran $305 - $320 each, and my 4.8" (front tire only on my Surly Pugsley) was $380. Sales tax was on top of that.

So, two 4"s for my wife's bike, and a 4" and 4.8" for mine. That was an expensive day!

Yes, that's C$, but that's what I get paid in! :)

I'm sure prices and selection are better in the States, but when I bought the studded tires in March, 2017, the only ones in town (and I tried several bike shops) were the North45s. The 4.0"s ran $305 - $320 each, and my 4.8" (front tire only on my Surly Pugsley) was $380. Sales tax was on top of that.

So, two 4"s for my wife's bike, and a 4" and 4.8" for mine. That was an expensive day!

that's expensive! Even the days of silk tubular tires don't compare. But yeah, studded fat bike tires are next level "niche market"--add the Canadian juice on top of that and you're spending a lot of money.

Before the days of readily available studs, we would make our own with sheet metal screws drilled through the inside, and then hot glue Mr. Tuffy's in there to cover the heads. Absolutely insane traction on snow or ice. Was really glad to get these away and move to a climate where I'd never need them, though!

That's about the same I paid for studded Terrene Johnny 5 tires.
The joke about getting your kids into cycling and they won't have enough money for drugs definitely applies.

...and so hard to find?
I can buy a car tire for cheaper than most of them, just stupid!
Yeah. Try and get a 24x4 tire. Can't do it. 26x4 all day long. I have trike. 24 in front and 20 inches in back. I can get the 20s all day long too. The idiocy that you have experienced, makes you a smarter person in the long run. I'm thinkin bout gettin some skinny tired bike,like schwinn. They have trikes too. My neighbor has one with solar panels surrounding the whole box looking apparatus . so yeah. Expect to pay at least 40 US dollars for the 2p. For a 26 your lookin at 35 as a low point

...and so hard to find?
I can buy a car tire for cheaper than most of them, just stupid!
You can find them all day long. Try and find 24x4 tires. I got mongoose ones one time and they are junk for 60 dollars. Now there's none to be found anywhere. Beyond stupid. They blame corona? I know better. It's price gouging. I don't care what their excuses are.

Back