why do red light tickets not go on record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MCompact
Red-Light Cameras
Texas Is Latest State to Pump the Brakes on Red-Light Cameras
Some suburbs take only seconds to review red light camera citations, analysis shows
Red-light cameras come under fire, at least 7 states trying to ban them

Over the past 33 years I've served as both a judge and-currently-a prosecutor. I've found that the vast majority of police are honest and hard working; the bad ones are relatively easy to spot. However, this year alone my office has dismissed multiple charges because it was my opinion that a search was bad or the crime charged did not reflect the actual conduct- all but a couple reflected mistakes made in good faith, but we are prosecuting one officer for gross misconduct. That said, I've had the support of law enforcement in every election going back to 1986.

Red-light and speed cameras are a scam because the private companies that operate them make money based on the number of citations issued- as does the municipality contracting with them, It's akin to the states where the money generated from traffic tickets is retained by the city or county where the citation is written- which is why you see lots of interstate speed traps run by city/county police in those states. There is a monetary incentive to pump out more citations
And don't get me started on Federal Overtime(FOT)- which requires officers to make four "contacts"(charge four traffic infractions) every hour(but don't call it a quota). When I presided in traffic court most all of the officers wrote "FOT" on those citations to let me know they were ticky-tack garbage and it was fine with them if I dismissed or deferred them.

My father was an attorney, a law school professor, and a judge. One of the best pieces of advice he ever gave me was, "When a client or witness says 'It's not about the money, it's the principle." you can be 100% certain it is ALL about the money."
And so it is with red-light and speed cameras.

10.gif

Originally Posted by alarmguy

Those people also say the police are crooked, they say the meter maid is corrupt when you get a ticket too.

Police are as corrupt as the day is long.

If the camera doesnt work right, you can go to court.

Yeah, sure. And how many peoiple would take time off work, often pay to park, and spend all day in a curt house over a $50 ticket? Be honest.

Its all hearsay about the "tactics" to shorten the yellow light, gosh, a couple instances of anything in this country of over 300 million people, hits the internet and gets blown way, way out of proportion much the same as a corrupt policemen.

No, not hearsay, actual HARD FACTS. The FACT is that at least SIX cities were caught shortening yellow lights to increase camera revenue. LINK And these are only the ones that were CAUGHT.

There is good and bad in the world but the good still wins and the vast majority of traffic controls both electronic and police work correctly.
Its part of being in a society. Not everything is perfect, but you do have recourse if its not.

Naah. In the real world, you generally don't.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by WhyMe
in my state of Wa, red light ticket do not go on one record. of course every state is different, but i always wondered why they don't go on ones driving record. Seems like just a money grab then

Probably because these aren't real citations and are not legally enforceable by anything other than a civil action by the vendor that installed the cameras, which won't happen since the cost exceeds the potential gain.
As many noted above, these photo radar and red light camera systems are nothing more than a money grab and do nothing to promote traffic safety.

I think you are looking at it wrong, of course they are real citations. Just like parking tickets are real citations, exactly the same, no difference what so ever. Im sure somewhere in your state, parking tickets are issued.
Your statement - Enforcing the law is doing nothing to promote public safety is like saying tell all the police to stop writing speeding and red light tickets, since we need no deterrents to prevent lawlessness.
Heck, red light cameras and automated speeding cameras and well as the toll booth ticket system in New York State do far more to prevent deaths then police cars, if they rolled them out nation wide you would see a significant reduction in deaths, IF that is what the public wanted, less deaths on the highways. To me its more the public saying its a great political talking point as long as I can continue to speed and run red lights.

These aren't real citations.
If they were, a warrant for your arrest could and would be issued for refusal to pay. Never happens because it can't.
You may have missed the part where I wrote that these are civil matters, so not enforceable by anything other than a civil suit by the vendor.
WRT a significant reduction in deaths, I can't see how that would be the outcome.
Distracted and impaired driving cause most of the deaths and neither will be deterred by a few profit-making cameras.
Not sure why you're getting all holier than thou on this, but it's not a good look and ignores reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back